What is involved in getting a Thai work visa for ASEAN citizen ?

I am a British National who has spent a lot of time in Thailand. In fact I have two teenage kids in the North East.

Two years ago I married a girl from Mindanao. She has qualified in Hotel and Restaurant Management and is keen to work.

She has a job offer from a 5 star resort up near Chiang Mai. The thing is, this resort has never employed a non-Thai before and I don't think that the manageress of the resort or the owners of the resort have any idea about how to get her a work visa.

Should she start working on a 30 day visa-on-arrival (extendable once, for another 30 days ... right ?) and we will try and get things sorted out later or would it be best for the resort to sort out all the paperwork before hand. I believe that the resort must take the initiative on this. Is that right ?

Also I am aware that there is meant to be changes coming after the new year.

Why oh why must everything be so complicated :-(

The information you have been given is wrong. She does not need a visa or work permit. She can work anywhere in the ASEAN region. It is the same as the EU, just without the single currency.

Sorry but Ubonjoe has the correct information....................

no wonder the the op is asking for help, does anyone know the definitive status for citizens of ASEAN once the changes are put into place at the end of the year? if so please share them with references for back up research.

no wonder the the op is asking for help, does anyone know the definitive status for citizens of ASEAN once the changes are put into place at the end of the year? if so please share them with references for back up research.

For all practical purposes nothing will change.

The current requirements for visas and work permits will remain

There will be no "freedom of movement" within ASEAN and the ASEAN agreements are essentially concerned with the creation of a free trade area.

http://www.asean.org/news/asean-statement-communiques/item/chairman-s-statement-of-the-22nd-asean-regional-forum-kuala-lumpur-malaysia?category_id=26

Edited by nowretired
  • Like 1

Visas will still be needed. Work permits will still be needed. There are a few specif professions that will find it easier to work here.

You could start by looking here: http://www.asean.org/communities/asean-economic-community

• Like 1

A5. Free flow of skilled labour

33. In allowing for managed mobility or facilitated entry for the movement of natural persons

engaged in trade in goods, services, and investments, according to the prevailing regulations of the receiving country, ASEAN is working to:

i. Facilitate the issuance of visas and employment passes for ASEAN professionals and

skilled labour who are engaged in cross-border trade and investment related activities.

https://archive.org/stream/ASEANECONOMICCOMMUNITYBLUEPRINT/ASEAN%20ECONOMIC%20COMMUNITY%20BLUEPRINT_djvu.txt

The information you have been given is wrong. She does not need a visa or work permit. She can work anywhere in the ASEAN region. It is the same as the EU, just without the single currency.

that dream might come true after "her" next reincanation. but the fact that the Lady is a Filipina and therefore most probably a Catholic means an additional hurdle to overcome.

Is there any way that a non-Thai not employed in Thailand (i.e. expat on extension of stay for retirement ) can obtain a work permit to hire a foreign national as domestic help? Can't seem to find anything on that. In reality high percentage of maids etc are Burmese or Khmer. Is there any way to make it legal, for an ordinary householder (not a company)? And one who is themselves a foreigner?

Is there any way that a non-Thai not employed in Thailand (i.e. expat on extension of stay for retirement ) can obtain a work permit to hire a foreign national as domestic help? Can't seem to find anything on that. In reality high percentage of maids etc are Burmese or Khmer. Is there any way to make it legal, for an ordinary householder (not a company)? And one who is themselves a foreigner?

There is no way except perhaps workers for diplomats.

Regulations are crafted in such way to protect hiring of Thai domestic worker, so that foreigners as illegal and vulnerable.

There is no way except perhaps workers for diplomats.

Regulations are crafted in such way to protect hiring of Thai domestic worker, so that foreigners as illegal and vulnerable.

Wrong !

My Chinese / Thai neighbor has a Laos lady childminder/housekeeper who is 100% legal and who has no problem renewing her permission to stay.

Wrong !

My Chinese / Thai neighbor has a Laos lady childminder/housekeeper who is 100% legal and who has no problem renewing her permission to stay

Oh really. And tell us, under with clause no. is he renewing her extension, or may under which table the money goes?

That if your "Chinese/Thai" (is that a new nationality ?) neighbor will be willing to show you his/her domestic employee papers... awaiting.

Edited by paz

I don't doubt, nothing is illegal once granted. Which makes the difference between regulations as we can understand, and as certain immigration officers understand, and have the power to deny or grant.

Here again for you below the official regulations. Still awaiting your explanation about under which clause an housekeeper can apply.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280330

Edited by paz

I don't doubt, nothing is illegal once granted. Which makes the difference between regulations as we can understand, and as certain immigration officers understand, and have the power to deny or grant.

Here again for you below the official regulations. Still awaiting your explanation about under which clause an housekeeper can apply.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280330

Now try checking the rules and regulations for citizens of nearby countries.. That should keep you busy and quiet for a few days,

Edited by nowretired
  • Like 1

Now try checking the rules and regulations for citizens of nearby countries.. That should keep you busy and quiet for a few days,

No problem. You want to prove that with a link? Even one to a forum discussion or moderator posting would help. Still awaiting.

Otherwise I'll be happy to refer you posting to to those looking to hire a foreigner housekeeper. Answering that should also keep you busy.

Wrong !

My Chinese / Thai neighbor has a Laos lady childminder/housekeeper who is 100% legal and who has no problem renewing her permission to stay

Oh really. And tell us, under with clause no. is he renewing her extension, or may under which table the money goes?

That if your "Chinese/Thai" (is that a new nationality ?) neighbor will be willing to show you his/her domestic employee papers... awaiting.

citizens of the neighbouring countries Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia can legally obtain residence and work permit and that, unlike other foreigners, for a period of two years. the procedure is straight forward and there's no such thing like money under the table involved except perhaps some reasonable "surcharge" to speed up the process should the employer be in a hurry.

there's one limitation though and that is "how do i name the child?" not possible is "housekeeper" but e.g. "diet cook multilingual" is acceptable. most authorities facilitate the process and simply issue permits which mention "construction worker".

Yes, its called a non immigrant L-A visa an work book ( unlike a work permit which ties you to a specific job the work book allows u to work anywhere in the provenience it is issued,

The process starts at the labor dept with the prospective employer obtaining a Quota.

I sure hope you are not a teacher. You are categorically, emphatically and unquestionably wrong.

• Like 2

Hello,

I have a Filipino colleague at school, who submitted the same documents

as I did to get a Non-B for teaching and a WP. He just extended his visa

and WP for one year without a problem.

Foreigners are eligible to hire migrant workers eligible for L-A visas.

In the recesses of the TV database you'll find a thread or two of people who have been through the process. Essentially the same for Thai citizens.

Get a 'quota' letter from your local DOL hire a foreign worker. Then get the work permit process started.

• Like 2

Hotel occupations are included in the 8 professional areas in which the AEC will initially allow mobility of skilled workers and I think this will include housekeeping, front office, food and beverage and kitchen work.

It's not free movement though because it will be open to those who hold qualifications under the ASEAN Mutual Recognition Agreement on Tourism Professionals, an attempt to introduce common competency standards On this, the training of the trainers is already well-advanced but I'm not sure when the first qualified members of the workforce are due to appear.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

Hotel occupations are included in the 8 professional areas in which the AEC will initially allow mobility of skilled workers and I think this will include housekeeping, front office, food and beverage and kitchen work.

It's not free movement though because it will be open to those who hold qualifications under the ASEAN Mutual Recognition Agreement on Tourism Professionals, an attempt to introduce common competency standards On this, the training of the trainers is already well-advanced but I'm not sure when the first qualified members of the workforce are due to appear.

Do not hold your breath!

Very few "hotel occupations" will qualify as "professional " or "skilled" under the the ASEAN agreements