What is involved in getting a Thai work visa for ASEAN citizen ?

Update: Definitely can get an L-A visa in a normal Cambodian passport, it is not limited to the "temporary passports". Have not only been told this by immigration but also spoken to Cambodians who did it and seen it in their passports.

Though for some unknown reason, the original visa is marked L-A (stamping in for 2 years) and then the subsequent extension of stay for another 2 years is marked "Non L-A", anyone understand that?

I am also told by Cambodians who have the "pink card" (issued based on the "temporary passport" with an L-A visa) that they would soon be switched over to a regular passport i.e. the other was just an interim measure.

It makes sense to me. The whole point is nationality/identity verification so why one earth would a regular passport not be accepted? And as these other things are being referred to as "temporary passports", makes sense that they are just an interim measure to be replaced by a regular passport once issued, i.e. a measure brought into being to deal with the fact that very large numbers of migrant workers were already in the country who lacked passports.

Haven't gone down to Labor Dept yet, will do that Monday but I suspect the biggest problem is apt to be my own lack of a yellow tabian ban.

Fantastic!!

hi; could u please tell me who and where the L-A visa is issued?

Back in Cambodia at the Thai embassy? what documentation do they require to have it issued? only the quota letter?

i tried to send you a pm but you;

The member Sheryl has chosen to not receive any new messages from you

whats up with that?

Edited by phuketrichard

But would that matter when the nationality is already verified? (Has passport).

unfortunately it matters and the main reason why it matters is "TIT".

on the other hand it makes some sense that the holder of a regular passport is treated differently because he/she doesn't fit into the legal framework that was created for illegal and undocumented migrants enabling them to morph to legality.

Update: Definitely can get an L-A visa in a normal Cambodian passport, it is not limited to the "temporary passports". Have not only been told this by immigration but also spoken to Cambodians who did it and seen it in their passports.

Though for some unknown reason, the original visa is marked L-A (stamping in for 2 years) and then the subsequent extension of stay for another 2 years is marked "Non L-A", anyone understand that?

I am also told by Cambodians who have the "pink card" (issued based on the "temporary passport" with an L-A visa) that they would soon be switched over to a regular passport i.e. the other was just an interim measure.

It makes sense to me. The whole point is nationality/identity verification so why one earth would a regular passport not be accepted? And as these other things are being referred to as "temporary passports", makes sense that they are just an interim measure to be replaced by a regular passport once issued, i.e. a measure brought into being to deal with the fact that very large numbers of migrant workers were already in the country who lacked passports.

Haven't gone down to Labor Dept yet, will do that Monday but I suspect the biggest problem is apt to be my own lack of a yellow tabian ban.

Fantastic!!

Back in Cambodia at the Thai embassy? what documentation do they require to have it issued? only the quota letter?

It was issued in Thailand at a provincial immigration office. I believe the one I looked at ead Korat but I have been talking with Chachoengsao imm office.

The workers I have spoken eith all got theirs through a broker.

Imm office told me what was needed was:

1. Quota from Labor Dept

2."Receipt" (bai set) for WP - also from Labor Dept. Not sure how that works, I guess Labor makes you pay up front for the WP?

3.Imm form (get it when you come in

4. Photos (I think 2 but could have been 4)

5. Identity doc of employer (passport if foreign)

6. Employers tabian ban

7. Map of place the alien will be working. Said hand drawn would be acceptable

Fantastic!!

It was issued in Thailand at a provincial immigration office. I believe the one I looked at ead Korat but I have been talking with Chachoengsao imm office.

The workers I have spoken eith all got theirs through a broker.

Imm office told me what was needed was:

1. Quota from Labor Dept

2."Receipt" (bai set) for WP - also from Labor Dept. Not sure how that works, I guess Labor makes you pay up front for the WP?

3.Imm form (get it when you come in

4. Photos (I think 2 but could have been 4)

5. Identity doc of employer (passport if foreign)

6. Employers tabian ban

7. Map of place the alien will be working. Said hand drawn would be acceptable

Yep, you pay up front for the WP. You also keep the receipt from memory as it acts as a quasi work permit as it take time for them to process the proper ID card.

For reference here is an image of an Non Immigrant LA Visa and a two year extension of stay.

Please note that in my area, the extension basis stamped in Thai above the extension merely refers to 'foreign labour', no Non LA references.

post-51519-0-40840400-1440777648_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It is reported that there are 2 million foreign neighbor workers in Thailand with only 1.2 million from neighbor countries registered to work as laborers. I have no reason to believe that Thailand will respect or honor the ASEAN Rules. They will develop more non-tariff and labor rules to keep things like they are. Banking and Insurance industries are supposed to be open to ASEAN Members. Wait and see if there are any that make it. I rather doubt it. Thailand has one of the world's highest import taxes averaging 27%. Non-tariff barriers and corruption is used to drive this figure up.

Just came back from Labor Dept.

According to them there are 2 pathways to getting an L-A visa and work permit for migrant worker:

1. Under an existing MOU between Thailand and neighboring countries. This requires going through an employment agency in the home country and is expensive. The employer completes some paperwork at Labor Dept in Thailand which is then sent to the Agency in the workers country and they do the rest. For a Cambodian who already has a passport cost is a little over 20,000.

2. Deatils unclear (and will likely differ from prior years) but there is a less expensive way when the Thai government declares an "open period" for issuing work permits to migrants. It is not open now but expected to be sometime next month and I was advised to check back with them around 15 February.

Absolutely no issue that the worker already has a passport.

No sign of agents/facilators and the like. The place was almost empty. Possibly this will change whenthe "open" registration starts.

According to them there are 2 pathways to getting an L-A visa and work permit for migrant worker:

1. Under an existing MOU between Thailand and neighboring countries. This requires going through an employment agency in the home country and is expensive. The employer completes some paperwork at Labor Dept in Thailand which is then sent to the Agency in the workers country and they do the rest. For a Cambodian who already has a passport cost is a little over 20,000.

2. Deatils unclear (and will likely differ from prior years) but there is a less expensive way when the Thai government declares an "open period" for issuing work permits to migrants. It is not open now but expected to be sometime next month and I was advised to check back with them around 15 February.

No sign of agents/facilators and the like. The place was almost empty. Possibly this will change whenthe "open" registration starts.

The second way which you describe involves the registrarion of non documented workers from neighbouring countries. From what I've seen registration generally happens in June or July each year.

After 'nationality verification' by their home countries they are issued with 2 year temporary passports and then an LA visa and work permit. These are extendable for 2 years each time for a maximum of 6 years.

The main downside of this route is that it is capped. There are reportedly a couple of hundered thousand workers here who are reaching this 6 year limit as of this month (reflecting they were the first cohort to use this system). Apparently a meeting between thailans and Myanmar is taking place on the 10th of Jan which will decide what happens. Presumably they'll let them stay as it would be a huge impost on the economy to litterally have half a million workers up and leave.

That is what I thought, that the "open" process is for undocumented workers only, but when I asked at the Labor Dept they said no problem that he already has a passport. As I understand it, the process for undocumented workers in any event involves first getting nationality verification, some sort of temporary document that ultimately leads to a passport. So presumably that step would just be skipped...though PhuketRichard's report indicates that at least in Phuket, people with passports were turned away in the past.

Anyhow, while there was a degree of language barrier (I speak Thai but not fluent especially when involving technical or unfamiliar topics), they definitely knew he has a passport (examined it at some length) and definitely said that the "open" process can be used for people with passports...though he has to be already in the country at the time of application, which may be a bit tricky as he has made enough trips to Thailand in the past year that immigration checkpoint is raising questions (he was shaken down for "tea money" at the Poipet crossing this current trip, entering on a tourist visa).

I asked if he should try to get a non-imm "O" visa to come in on, as to my understanding that can be changed to L-A whereas a tourist visa cannot, though not sure will succeed in getting it. They quite clearly told me a tourist visa would be fine, but then they are the Labor Dept and not Immigration -- I am pretty sure that we would first have to change a tourist visa to an "O" before he could get an "L-A", an extra step, hassle and expense. And also that can't get it if here on visa exemption.

So what I am planning in doing at this point is:

(1) provide a letter to the Thai Embassy Phnom Penh explaining that I propose to hire him and that we will be applying for a work permit and L-A visa in Thailand and asking them to issue a non-imm "O" visa. If they refuse the "O", then apply for a tourist visa, and hope that he doesn't get refused because of several other entries in past year (none of them back to back, anywhere from a week to 2 months in between each, but maybe 2-3 visas in past year plus a number of visa exempt entries. His wife had surgery in Thailand with prolonged complications).

(2) Go back to the Labor Dept once the "open"period is announced and try that route.

(3) If this fails then go ahead and take the expensive MOU route. The full cost that I am hearing from other Cambodia workers reaches 30,000 baht though it sounds like less expensive for Burmese.

When I talk with immigration, all they say is necessary is quota and work permit receipt from immigration. They also understand that he already has a passport.

????

here in Phuket

i took my gf's Khmer passport to a local agency that works with Burmese workers,

my gf has had a NON B via and a regular WP for Thailand and 2 1 year non B visas;

Labor dept told her that she CANNOT get a NON L-A visa,

(1) provide a letter to the Thai Embassy Phnom Penh explaining that I propose to hire him and that we will be applying for a work permit and L-A visa in Thailand and asking them to issue a non-imm "O" visa. If they refuse the "O", then apply for a tourist visa, and hope that he doesn't get refused because of several other entries in past year (none of them back to back, anywhere from a week to 2 months in between each, but maybe 2-3 visas in past year plus a number of visa exempt entries. His wife had surgery in Thailand with prolonged complications).

no way will they issue a non O visa ( for what reason?) if ur stating that ur going to employ them they will need apply for a NON B visa, PP will do it (GF got one in May there) BUT it takes tons of paperwork and they will only issue a single entry,

What she is now on is a singe entry tourist visa and a 30 day extension, thna next month fly back to PP an get another tourist visa.

YOu could also try ad source out the new metv valid for 6 months multi entry but i can get any info if they will issue or not

here are requirements good luck

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (enforced on 13 Nov 2015): valid for entering Thailand within 6 months from the date of application. The period of stay is60 days maximum per stay. The Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa holder may enter Thailand again as long as the visa is still valid. Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Cambodian nationals orthose with proof of permanent residence in Cambodia.

Required documents:

1. Visa Application form(s) and photograph(s): Completed and signed Visa Application formand recent photograph(s) (size 3.5x4.5 cm). Most applicants require to present1 Visa Application form and 1 photograph,

2. Passport(valid for no less than 6 months)

3. Travel tickets in and out of Thailand

4.Evidence of adequate finance

Single-Entry Tourist Visa: $1000 per person and $2000 per family

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: $8,000 per person (6 months of financial statements)

5. Letter of Employment(compulsory for Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa applicants)

6.Evidence of accommodation booking(compulsory for Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa applicants)

7. Application fee (Cash only in US Dollars – Non-refundable):

Single-Entry Tourist Visa: $40

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa: $200

http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/th/services/1435/21868-Tourist.html

As I understand it, L-A visas are only for manual laborers and the like. If your GF has had B visas then that is likely not what she is.

B visa to my understanding is not necessary/appropriate for unskilled laborers, especially ones that will not be employed by a company or business.

But I take your point about not being eligible for a non-O. So I guess we'll do as the Labor Dept suggested and have him come in on a tourist visa.

That is what I thought, that the "open" process is for undocumented workers only, but when I asked at the Labor Dept they said no problem that he already has a passport. As I understand it, the process for undocumented workers in any event involves first getting nationality verification, some sort of temporary document that ultimately leads to a passport. So presumably that step would just be skipped...though PhuketRichard's report indicates that at least in Phuket, people with passports were turned away in the past.

Anyhow, while there was a degree of language barrier (I speak Thai but not fluent especially when involving technical or unfamiliar topics), they definitely knew he has a passport (examined it at some length) and definitely said that the "open" process can be used for people with passports...though he has to be already in the country at the time of application, which may be a bit tricky as he has made enough trips to Thailand in the past year that immigration checkpoint is raising questions (he was shaken down for "tea money" at the Poipet crossing this current trip, entering on a tourist visa).

I asked if he should try to get a non-imm "O" visa to come in on, as to my understanding that can be changed to L-A whereas a tourist visa cannot, though not sure will succeed in getting it. They quite clearly told me a tourist visa would be fine, but then they are the Labor Dept and not Immigration -- I am pretty sure that we would first have to change a tourist visa to an "O" before he could get an "L-A", an extra step, hassle and expense. And also that can't get it if here on visa exemption.

So what I am planning in doing at this point is:

(2) Go back to the Labor Dept once the "open"period is announced and try that route.

(3) If this fails then go ahead and take the expensive MOU route. The full cost that I am hearing from other Cambodia workers reaches 30,000 baht though it sounds like less expensive for Burmese.

When I talk with immigration, all they say is necessary is quota and work permit receipt from immigration. They also understand that he already has a passport.

????

I'm looking to probably do the MOU route for our nanny unless there is a resolution this weekend as hers and many others visa's expire on the 13th of Jan. I've been quoted 15,000 baht which at the end of the day I'm happy to pay.

But lets see what comes out at the end of all this.

sheryl; ( as i cant pm you- can u pm me?

do u have an email or address for a broker in Cambodia that can do the mou?

even at 30, 000 baht a better deal for me as we live in phuket and r/t air is 8,500 next month for her to fly up

add the visa fee 1,000

the 30 day extension 1,900

staying in PP 4 nights

it s not cheap for us

I wonder if even she can go that route with a non b visa in her passport>

No I don't. could bevwrong, but my impression is that the Thai Labor Depts are in direct contact with the agencies which do thid and thst they take care of forwarding the papetwork, which had to be initiated at the labor office here anyhow.

Remember that this is only for unskilled laborers. I have the ompression that is not your gf.

• 3 years later...

I'd like to update this re the migrant worker child going to school.

Contrary to what many posters said, it turns out it is not only possible but the right to do so is enshrined in Thai Education law. Children of migrant workers have the same right to attend school as Thai children and my local school had no problem at all enrolling this girl. She did have to be listed in a tabian ban (so would a Thai child) and that in turn means a child would have to be here legally, on a long term visa which in turn means parents legally on an L-A visa, so undocumented worker children will still face a barrier.

Arranging all this has taken me quite some time but not at the school end, that was done in a single visit with immediate enrollment the very next day. What was time consuming was the L-A visa for the mother then the LA 'O' for the child (mainly hard on the Cambodian side) and then getting them into my tabian ban, which ultimately required intervention of the village chief.

So now she is in school, free lunch and all.  The only thing we have so far had to pay for was for her uniforms.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I know that I am posting in an OP that was last added to by @Sheryl in 2019, but Sheryl had given me some advice in a few PM's based upon her experiences, and it worked out pretty good for us as I needed to work on getting a hired Myanmar worker a new WP and then an extension of stay.

With all of that said, we are in the process of changing our Myanmar housekeepers WP from Bangkok to PKK (as we have moved her to the house here) as well as having her new extension of stay completed, current extension of stay ends on February 13th, 2023.  The other issue we had, and fixed, was that the Housekeepers passport (which is a PJ type) from Myanmar expired last November 15th. 

Knowing it was expiring and knowing it would affect her employment, I used an agent back in August to start the process of getting a new PP, while she was still working for us in our Condo in BKK to help in getting the new PP.  At the time, last year, the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok would not issue a new PP as they were waiting until the start of the New Year, and had already issued que's which were out up to 2 months.  The Agent we used was able to get an appointment in Chiang Mai at the Myanmar Consulate in October, and took a van full of people up to obtain new PP's.  The Chiang Mai Consulate was at that time only doing 200 appointments per day and it took 2 weeks for the new PP and the old one to return to the Agent.  Once the new PP returned the PP was taken to immigration and all of the old stamps were transferred to the new passport ( I mean all the prior 5 years Non-L-A extension stamps).  Her current extension also had been stamped in the old PP to indicate it ended on November 15th when the PP expired, but had a red stamp below it stating her extension was valid until February 13, 2023.  When the new PP arrived the agent took the new PP to Immigration and they also changed that extension to coincide with the date stamped on her old PP.

The WP book is another issue which we are in the process of changing as well, due to her moving provinces with us. This will be done in concert with the new extension of stay application, of which as a housekeeper she was only getting 1 year each time and not 2 years like reading some of the posts above (Yes I know times have changed, and her first extension issued in 2018 was good for 2 years, but then starting in 2020 they were for 1 year at a time.)

Her current WP, listing me as the employer also is expiring on the same day as her extension of stay.  I am using an agent down here in PKK, actually an accountant who does this for others, and the charge for everything will be 15k Thb.  The agent had never seen a Non-L-A before, which I thought was strange as there are many Myanmar workers here in PKK.  She was also concerned since my Non Imm O-A visa for retirement had been changed to the new LTR-P Visa and was good for 10 years, with a 5 year first period.  The agent took the paperwork with her for my housekeeper, as well as copies of my PP, the current work permit, copies of my Blue book for the residence and the Tabien registration with her and visited Immigration in HH yesterday to verify all was possible.  She called back later yesterday and has the information needed and seemed happy as she had learned some new things which will help her in the future.  Never hurts to be open minded, as so many Agents we had tried to use starting back in 2020 stated that a foreigner, unless on a WP themself, could not hire anyone except a Thai.  Persistance paid off and the Agent I found in Nonthaburi at the time also learned a few new things as well and was happy to assist, they just could not help us now as we had changed provinces.

I will report back with and update as things progress. Sorry for the ramblings, still drinking my first cup of coffee this morning... ????

• Like 1