American newspaper mistakes Thailand for Taiwan

webfact

American newspaper mistakes Thailand for Taiwan
By Coconuts Bangkok

taiwan-circle.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The San Jose Mercury News, one of the most important newspapers in California, was left with egg on its face after it printed a headline declaring that the Bangkok bombing happened in Taiwan.

“Taiwan hunts for shrine bomber” reads the headline, which will probably lead to the firing of a copy editor.
Because Asia is so far away, apparently some Westerners still confuse Thailand and Taiwan… and this in the age of Google.

The wire story from the AP was written by Thai reporters one of whom took to Facebook to defend herself, saying that it was the newspaper changed the headline.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/21/american-newspaper-mistakes-thailand-taiwan

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-08-21

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Merc is a major newspaper, second biggest on the west coast. That's just awful, because you can see Bangkok in the byline and Thai is mentioned several times in the article. The Merc's editing team changed the headline from Thailand to Taiwan, as the story was written by Thai AP stringers. You would expect a little more from that part of the US, having a large Asian population, and being geographically closer to Asia than the rest of the country.

Edited by zaphod reborn

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif A Little embarassing for that newspaper but contrary to what many thais might think, a lot of people around the World have no idea and dont care where Thailand is or what it is ... Eventually I dont think these people might miss out gigglem.gif

that's really the intellectual level coconut can handle. probably an innocent mistake due to spellchecker

i couldnt even begin to count the number of times an american has asked me if bangkok is the capital of taiwan. this isn't a one off.

Big deal. Most American thanks New Mexico is a foreign country and you need a passport to visit.

Most Americans know when and when not to use the plural form of 'Americans,' and the difference between 'thanks,' 'thinks' and 'think.'

Edited by TDCNINJA

Big deal. Most American thanks New Mexico is a foreign country and you need a passport to visit.

Most Americans know the difference between 'thanks' and 'thinks.'

Don't be so harsh. That's the legitimate phonetic spelling for a Texas accent... And Mississippi, I thank. (But I'm not so sure about Mississippi)

Edited by impulse

The Merc is a major newspaper, second biggest on the west coast. That's just awful, because you can see Bangkok in the byline and Thai is mentioned several times in the article. The Merc's editing team changed the headline from Thailand to Taiwan, as the story was written by Thai AP stringers. You would expect a little more from that part of the US, having a large Asian population, and being geographically closer to Asia than the rest of the country.

Everyone makes mistakes such as stating the west coast of the U.S. as being "geographicly closer to asia than the rest of the country" actually, that would be Hawai'i or if you count territories, Guam.

We expect Americans, what with all the "exceptionalism" to be better than average with geography. Alas, this is not the case.

There is a famous "New Yorker" magazine cover, depicting the geographic perspective of a resident of NYC.

NewYorker-Magazine-cover.jpg

I knew some pretty nice folks from NYC who had this same perspective.

Taiwan for Thailand

Iowa for Idaho,

Austria for Australia.

I expect it anymore.
Just showing their ignorance.

My sister in law once asked me how do I get here in Thailand from New York? Drive?

But you are correct and most Thai's do not know much geography either.

Another good reason to travel. Then you learn.

My wife has now been to 20 US states, and 61 Thai provinces.
She has taught herself to read a map.
How many Thais can do that?

A sad symptom of the relentless cost-cutting in publishing, especially in the declining print media.

In the heyday of professional journalism, every piece of news copy had to be read by multiple, highly experienced (and highly paid) copy editors, after a scrupulous fact-checking protocol. These days are long gone and most publishers are lucky to afford one copy check by sometimes marginally qualified hacks.

We expect Americans, what with all the "exceptionalism" to be better than average with geography. Alas, this is not the case.

There is a famous "New Yorker" magazine cover, depicting the geographic perspective of a resident of NYC.

NewYorker-Magazine-cover.jpg

I knew some pretty nice folks from NYC who had this same perspective.

Oh man, hahaha, brings back memories. Me too. Do you know how many people I know used to have that poster hanging on their wall?

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif A Little embarassing for that newspaper but contrary to what many thais might think, a lot of people around the World have no idea and dont care where Thailand is or what it is ... Eventually I dont think these people might miss out gigglem.gif

Unfortunately you managed to find it ! whistling.gif

I don't think this newspaper should cop flak over the misprint. I doubt there would be too many newspapers around the world who have not done the same.

For example -

https://www.google.com/search?q=newspaper+misprints&biw=1025&bih=440&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCK24hKiBuscCFacopgodXU0BTg#imgrc=_

I was in Hanoi years ago and I met an elderly couple from New York who were traveling the world. The husband introduced me to the wife and told her I was from Australia and the lady asked me why I was not speaking German. (she thought Austria and Australia were the same place) I thought it was funny. biggrin.png

I wasn't quite believing this, but here is what is posted on their website:

"SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT (publ. 8/20/2015, pg. A4) A headline incorrectly referenced Taiwan instead of Thailand. Police in Thailand are looking for the chief suspect in Monday's deadly bombing of Bangkok's Erawan Shrine.