Suggestions Please :)

evadgib

Hi All,

I'd appreciate some guidance here please...

I continue to experience problems (UK end) when trying to speak to my elderly parents via Skype. The cause is the microphone on their Toshiba computer as discussed in a previous thread (all fixes subsequently failed!).

In order to maintain regular contact between Grandparents and grandchildren I am considering either;

a) Purchasing a smartphone in Thailand, loading applicable programmes, mailing it to UK so that all they have to do is purchase a SIMcard, or

b ) Purchasing a smartphone online in UK, having the shop load it, and registering it in my name at their (parents/my billing address) address so that I pay the bill.

What is the best way about going about either & what are the pitfalls?

Their Toshiba will be launched next time i'm in UK...! :)

olympic-athlete-discuss-throw-9927416.jp

Edited by evadgib

What about and skype headset and microphone that they can plug into the computer? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stereo-skype-headsets-Headset-Headphone/dp/B003ZV0UY2

Or a Skype ready phone? http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-phones/

Both ready available on Amazon, or Ebay. order online for delivery straight to them.

As for the smart phone, I would get a friend to buy in UK and set up, as you might avoid region specific software and problems.

Edited by phetphet

Any chance of finding a local computer repair business that makes house calls? A tech onsite might be able to get them properly set up along with the microphone sorted out.

Google your UK area and you might find a listing.

Skype isn't the only way of talking. Facebook messenger now has voice as well.

And there are other options.

If it's simply a problem with the mic, just buy an external mic/speaker and disable the one on the Toshiba.

If it's simply a problem with the mic, just buy an external mic/speaker and disable the one on the Toshiba.

+1

Or add a USB Sound System. Bonus if the USB device had speakerphone abilities.

Also, as Chicog states, many, many text, voice and voice/video apps out there besides Microsoft's Skype. LINE isn't all that bad. Google Hangouts.

Thanks for your responses so far. I have tried just about everything listed except facebook which they flatly refuse to use & which I too give a wide berth. I note the point re battery although an unrelated trip to my local post office lead me to believe that this primarily related to built-in batteries / sealed units. The speakers on their computer work but the microphone doesn't and nor does an external replacement which was ok for a month before going downhill on a sliding scale until complete failure. A repair shop did CPR on the PC but were equally baffled as to the cause of the problem. A cursory glance online suggests the problem is Toshiba-specific.

In the meantime Grandparents are unable to see their grandchildren and vise versa although we remain in contact via skype to their landline.

Thanks for your responses so far. I have tried just about everything listed except facebook which they flatly refuse to use & which I too give a wide berth. I note the point re battery although an unrelated trip to my local post office lead me to believe that this primarily related to built-in batteries / sealed units. The speakers on their computer work but the microphone doesn't and nor does an external replacement which was ok for a month before going downhill on a sliding scale until complete failure. A repair shop did CPR on the PC but were equally baffled as to the cause of the problem. A cursory glance online suggests the problem is Toshiba-specific.

In the meantime Grandparents are unable to see their grandchildren and vise versa although we remain in contact via skype to their landline.

Since you're willing to spend a fair amount of money to get a smartphone of some sort. Have you thought about just an inexpensive tablet? Some 8 inch to 10 Android tablet should get it done and with a better picture than a smartphone. Even a smaller tablet will be a bigger picture than a smartphone.

I assume they have wifi. If not, then it'll be the same logistics to get one that will take a sim card, so only better in the size of the picture.

I recommended getting a USB Sound System, it acts as a replacement sound system for the built-in sound system.

And did you actually try using LINE or Hangouts?

If you want something easy, just get a couple of iPad Mini's and run FaceTime on both ends.

But if you'd rather not spend all of your money, something similar can be done on an android tablet.

PC World have laptops from about £180 at the moment. Probably better than a smart phone for video calling on Skype. If they bought one there, I'm sure the techs would help them set it up..

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/windows-laptops/laptops/laptops/703_7006_70006_xx_ba00010671-bv00308565/xx-criteria.html?intcmp=home~windows-laptops~savings~td-1b~txt~new-term~seg~-~200815

(Powered by Skype......).

maybe purchase one here and EMS it to them then they can buy a sim there.

I've just recently did exactly this. Got a nice Note 4 from V, unlocked it using a service, and shipped it via royal mail tracked/signed for. Arrived a week later and the missus popped her AIS sim in.

As said above - I also had to use USB sound on a Toshiba laptop grandchildren use (old model but many sold here about 5 or so years ago). Bought them USB speakers when audio failed and they worked well for several years until they grew old and tired. Bought below to try but they changed to new computer so not sure if works well or not but expect it would.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291049120725?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Elderly people do not usually want to be bothered with computers...it can get baffling as they get older.

Install teamviewer (free) on theirs...and put the viewer/controller on yours.

I did this with my 90 year old mom...and all she had to do was leave her computer on. I could play videos, show photos...and she could view me. I could answer her skype for her.

We also put a dropcam in the top corner of her living room. Could hear her and see her all day. When she woke I would play her a song...and open up a text editor on her computer. I would put the background as red....and use very large fonts. Then I would flash it on and off...and she would know to come close. At that time I would call on skype, and answer myself. She never had to touch it.

Called 911 and they responded, when she locked herself in her room, and couldn't get out. Also ordered food for her...and had my brothers stop by. She would talk to me often...like I was in the room

Google ...DropCam

Google....TeamViewer

Edited by slipperylobster

There is also "Line" which is free, wife uses that everyday and no problems.

Getting a UK Skype number as suggested also works extremely well as they just use their telephone and dial a local number to speak to you wherever you are in the world.

Thanks for all the replies; I have ordered a tablet from a UK outlet which should arrive at my parents house by 27th. I think the rest (LINE, Watsapp etc) will be straight forward. I'll update this in a week or so, not least because it might help someone else.

Thanks all :)

Edited by evadgib

• 4 weeks later...