Roof Vent

mrbojangles

Went up to the house for the first time in a few months and it was roasting hot inside. Fans weren't enough. So a few days ago I bought a roof vent/fan like this. Yeah it's big but hasn't half reduced the inside temp. Had 2 nights of big rain and no leaks. Well worth the 3000baht

post-19542-14402380362895_thumb.jpg

post-19542-14402380480002_thumb.jpg

Should have used brown silicone smile.png

Glad it's worked out, do you have an air inlet to the roof space?

i think Mr. Bo took my advice when he buyilt a couple of years ago and made the necessary provision.

Should have used brown silicone smile.png

i think Mr. Bo took my advice when he buyilt a couple of years ago and made the necessary provision.

I did indeed Naam. Several vents around the outside of the house in the soffits.

How did I know someone would notice the white silicone, Crossy.biggrin.png I had the BiL at the house doing some work on the wifes dad's house, so got them to install it. It didn't really need silicone but I wanted some on in case of up wind's and didn't have any brown. They over did it but it'll get some touch up when I can get the same colour paint as the roof. The brown on the mount was just some spare I had lying around instead of keeping it the grey colour from the manufacturer.

Think the old thread will be buried somewhere, so I'll post some updates and I'm quite happy with the way things are looking. Never thought I'd enjoy staying in the boonies but I quite like it here now with all the home comforts.

Yes well....not easy to see but looks to me its installed WRONG, the higher end should be under the roof sheet eventually when the silicon gives up its going to let water in...

Yeah not easy to see in the piccies but it is installed correctly. The higher end is underneath the sheet above it and the lower end is on top of the sheet below it. They make the panel that holds the fan from fibre glass and is long enough to have a good overlap. As I said above, because of the overlap, the silicone wasn't really needed as there isn't any on any of the other overlapping panels but I was just going over the top.

Yes well....not easy to see but looks to me its installed WRONG, the higher end should be under the roof sheet eventually when the silicon gives up its going to let water in...

Yeah not easy to see in the piccies but it is installed correctly. The higher end is underneath the sheet above it and the lower end is on top of the sheet below it. They make the panel that holds the fan from fibre glass and is long enough to have a good overlap. As I said above, because of the overlap, the silicone wasn't really needed as there isn't any on any of the other overlapping panels but I was just going over the top.

please climb on the roof Mr. Bo and verify your claim. because it sure looks like the upper side of the whirly's sheet is not under but over the roof panels.

please climb on the roof Mr. Bo and verify your claim. because it sure looks like the upper side of the whirly's sheet is not under but over the roof panels.

No need to climb up Naam. I was there when they did it and can guarantee they installed it correctly. They had to cut the hole in the roof and undo all of the fastenings above to lift the panels and slot the new one underneath. The new panel then sat on the cross member of the roof structure under the original panel and the two panels where then screwed down together on top of each other. The bottom fastenings where also taken out and the panel sat on top of the original one and both of those where also screwed down together onto the cross member of the roof structure.

The silicone and quality of the piccie probably makes it hard to see but the purpose of this post was really about how that fan has reduced the inside temp of the house considerably. We still haven't installed A/C in here yet as I only spend 1 week here three times or so per year and I don't want A/C sitting idle for months on end but to be honest, we can quite comfortably stay here now with just fans on. Although A/C will be installed when I retire to Thailand and spend more time up here.

Should have used brown silicone :)

If it ever starts to leak the best fix is the bitumen backed aluminium sheet, it is available in brown or silver. Our roof was leaking through the screw fittings, small squares of the bitumen tape fixed the problem. They have been in place for 5 years now with no sign of a problem.