New charter keeps NCPO in power until new govt formed

Lite Beer

New charter keeps NCPO in power until new govt formed
THE SUNDAY NATION

30267222-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A TRANSITIONAL clause in the draft constitution retains the power and authority of the National Council for Peace and Order until a new government replaces the present one.

Article 278 of the charter states that all NCPO members have to leave office when the current Cabinet finishes its term.

"During the [transfer] period, the NCPO chief and the NCPO still have the powers and duties stated in the provisional constitution of 2014," the clause says.

Constitution drafter Paiboon Nititawan said yesterday that this was tantamount to extending the NCPO's stay in power until a new government assumes office.

"They will stay in power to complete their task of maintaining peace and order, particularly during the next election," he said.

Two charter drafters have expressed confidence that the National Reform Council will vote to accept the constitution on September 6.

Constitution Drafting Committee member Lt-General Nakhon Sukprasert expects as many as 220 NRC members will vote in support of the charter draft.

He based that belief on the fact that the NRC's eight panels and Cabinet had accepted the CDC's explanations concerning its handling of NRC and Cabinet proposals and recommendations for amending the charter draft.

CDC member Dr Chuchai Supawong said he was certain the NRC would accept the draft because the NRC and the CDC had worked together for a common goal.

"They have a sense of co-owning the charter draft," he said.

The two CDC members spoke after NRC president Thienchay Kiranandana received the charter draft - complete with gold cover - from CDC chairman Borwornsak Uwanno. This took place at 11.59am - considered an auspicious time.

CDC deputy chairwoman Nareewan Chintakanond handed another charter draft to NRC deputy president Tassana Boontong.

Borwornsak said the CDC met 150 times to draft the charter, taking into account recommendations from the NRC, the Cabinet and political parties, and doing the job in accordance with the guidelines set forth under Article 35 of the interim charter.

September 6 has been set as the date for the vote on the charter as the interim charter stipulates it must be done 15 days after the NRC received the charter.

The NRC member representing Tak, Thaveekij Jaturajarernkul, was heard asking Thienchay yesterday whether NRC members would receive royal decorations.

Meanwhile, CDC deputy chairman Manit Suksomjit dismissed concerns the proposed National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Commission could dismiss an elected PM.

He said the charter draft stipulated that the NSRRC would take over from an administration only under the following scenarios: if there is a need to uphold the country's sovereignty; or a need to prevent or suppress the destruction of peace, order and national security; and when the country encounters a conflict caused by domestic or international factors that the government cannot resolve.

The NSRRC must consult the Constitutional Court and the Supreme Administrative Court presidents if it believes the country faces one of those situations, he said. Any decision to dismiss the PM would require at least two-thirds of commission members voting for such a move.

Parliament would also cross-check the power of the NSRRC, while senators and MPs would have the right to file petitions against the NSRRC with the Constitutional Court, Manit said.

In normal circumstances, he said the NSRRC would push for national reform by suggesting reform policies and proposals that aim to reduce social and economic disparities, ensure justice and create sustainable reconciliation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/New-charter-keeps-NCPO-in-power-until-new-govt-for-

30267222.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-23

"NCPO's stay in power until a new government assumes office.

Until that point the NCPO under Article 44 can refuse to recognize a new government, citing national security, devisive political conflict, etc.

It can then cite authority from the (assumed) passed 2015 draft constitution to appoint itself as an interim government until the "right" kind of government is formed.

"The function of the law is to keep those who hold power, in power." - Gerry Spence

The key word is formed. I do no see the word "elected" mentioned.

MP's are elected (directly as constituency candidate, or indirectly as party list candidate), governments are formed by parties with the most elected MPs (either single party or multy-party).

Until that point the NCPO under Article 44 can refuse to recognize a new government, citing national security, devisive political conflict, etc.

It can then cite authority from the (assumed) passed 2015 draft constitution to appoint itself as an interim government until the "right" kind of government is formed.

"The function of the law is to keep those who hold power, in power." - Gerry Spence

You're good at government conspiracy theories, aren't you? Missing is 'refuse a new government because it's raining'.

BTW interesting quote, the one from Gerry Spence. Are you in favour of abolishing all laws ?

You hit the nail on the head. If, after elections, the "wrong" group wins, the junta will find an excuse to not recognize them. They will hold election after election until they get the results they want.

MP's are elected (directly as constituency candidate, or indirectly as party list candidate), governments are formed by parties with the most elected MPs (either single party or multy-party).

That is not democracy. By definition democracy is one person one vote. There is no other. The word has its' roots in Greek and cannot be anything else. I am not sure what you would call what is being proposed but it is not democracy.

The term originates from the Greek δημοκρατία (dēmokratía) "rule of the people",[4] which was found from δῆμος (dêmos) "people" and κράτος (krátos) "power" or "rule", in the 5th century BC to denote the political systems then existing in Greek city-states, notably Athens; the term is an antonym to ἀριστοκρατία (aristokratía) "rule of an elite".

Let me be clear, I support the Thai monarchy which is so important to the Thai people and to the stability of the country. My beef is with the economic elite that conspire to keep the peasants in constant servitude and subservience. Specifically the constituency mp's who represent the economic elite.

Edited by PilotEd

That is not democracy. By definition democracy is one person one vote. There is no other. The word has its' roots in Greek and cannot be anything else. I am not sure what you would call what is being proposed but it is not democracy.

The term originates from the Greek δημοκρατία (dēmokratía) "rule of the people",[4] which was found from δῆμος (dêmos) "people" and κράτος (krátos) "power" or "rule", in the 5th century BC to denote the political systems then existing in Greek city-states, notably Athens; the term is an antonym to ἀριστοκρατία (aristokratía) "rule of an elite".

Let me be clear, I support the Thai monarchy which is so important to the Thai people and to the stability of the country. My beef is with the economic elite that conspire to keep the peasants in constant servitude and subservience. Specifically the constituency mp's who represent the economic elite.

Your reply has no relation with the OP however correct it may be.

BTW we're still with one person one vote in the charter and I understand it shows more 'proportional representation' than the 1997/2007 version. Mind you some have rejected 'proportional representation' as not working in Thailand. Strangely enough by some of the more vocal anti-junta, return to previous 'democracy'. Seems they forget the North and NorthEast are the more populous areas of Thailand.

BTW we're still with one person one vote in the charter and I understand it shows more 'proportional representation' than the 1997/2007 version. Mind you some have rejected 'proportional representation' as not working in Thailand. Strangely enough by some of the more vocal anti-junta, return to previous 'democracy'. Seems they forget the North and NorthEast are the more populous areas of Thailand.

If you're implying that the current proposal is more democratic and representative than the 1997 constitution then you are seriously delusional!

while this is no surprise, it is also irrelevant.

The NCPO stays in power under a different name even after the new government is formed. The National Committee of Generals in Disguise, or something like that...

But it is interesting that none of the military / elite patsies writing the constitution care that the next election will be held, and the next government will be formed under the equivalent of martial law...

That is truly amazing. Big Brother is the new democracy. coffee1.gif

You are exactly right that the north and northeast have the larger population and therefore will have more impact on election results. That is exactly how a democracy works. What so called proportional representation provides is heavier weight to elite privileged classes What the new constitution is trying to achieve is to take the deserved representation away from the majority of Thai citizens.

It is precisely why I am opposed to the junta. It is obvious they are trying to aid the return to control of Thailand to the economic elite.

From your post I suspect you are one of them.

while this is no surprise, it is also irrelevant.

The NCPO stays in power under a different name even after the new government is formed. The National Committee of Generals in Disguise, or something like that...

But it is interesting that none of the military / elite patsies writing the constitution care that the next election will be held, and the next government will be formed under the equivalent of martial law...

That is truly amazing. Big Brother is the new democracy. coffee1.gif

The Minister of Foreign Affairs in the previous government suggested the Military call Martial Law into effect to allow his government to hold elections. That may have been Big Brother's suggestion.

Edited by rubl

You are exactly right that the north and northeast have the larger population and therefore will have more impact on election results. That is exactly how a democracy works. What so called proportional representation provides is heavier weight to elite privileged classes What the new constitution is trying to achieve is to take the deserved representation away from the majority of Thai citizens.

It is precisely why I am opposed to the junta. It is obvious they are trying to aid the return to control of Thailand to the economic elite.

From your post I suspect you are one of them.

Now your way off, Proportional Representation has nothing to do with 'elite' or 'privileged' classes.

"Proportional representation (PR) characterizes electoral systems by which divisions in an electorate are reflected proportionately in the elected body. If 30% of the electorate support a particular political party, then roughly 30% of seats will be won by that party. The essence of such systems is that all votes contribute to the result: not just aplurality, or a bare majority, of them. Proportional representation requires the use of multiple-member voting districts (also called super-districts); it is not possible using single-member districts alone."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proportional_representation

From your post I suspect you need to do some reading (only).

Basically "If the PTP or their new incarnation win it will be easy to kick them out."

Basically any opposition party they do not like can be kicked out while the military can intervene once again and reposition themselves and make it quasi legal in the sense that:

"No, this is not another Coup, rather what you are witnessing is a pre-approved and sanctioned military intervention on behalf of the nation" ..........

Like it always has been, more or less...But this time and for the future the word Coup is not to be used to describe the privilege they have granted themselves.

Something like that...Sort of...While it does not matter one bit about criticisms and or what others have to say about their actions...because their actions are honorable and noted and acknowledged as such...supposedly.

Cheers