Prayut's brother to become permanent secretary for Defence: report

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see.

Oh how I should have paid more attention and listened to all the Junta fanatics who so voiciferously cheered the coup as being just what Thailand needed to bring an end to the violence (Erawan bombing....), nepotism (Prayuth's little brother promotion....) and corruption (endless list....) .

Only democracy can cleanse this swamp and only the establishment (plutocrats, military, bureaucracy and am-mart) stand in the way of democracy.

Overturn the social order via one man one vote democracy and Thailand will start to be safer, more meritorious and less corrupt - the economic benefits will then follow.

For better or for worse, at this moment in time, Thaksin is the only man that can save this nation.

Great to see.

Oh how I should have paid more attention and listened to all the Junta fanatics who so voiciferously cheered the coup as being just what Thailand needed to bring an end to the violence (Erawan bombing....), nepotism (Prayuth's little brother promotion....) and corruption (endless list....) .

Only democracy can cleanse this swamp and only the establishment (plutocrats, military, bureaucracy and am-mart) stand in the way of democracy.

Overturn the social order via one man one vote democracy and Thailand will start to be safer, more meritorious and less corrupt - the economic benefits will then follow.

For better or for worse, at this moment in time, Thaksin is the only man that can save this nation.

Thaksin and the junta are identical in that they both operate as a mafia clan solely focusing on maintaining their leverage over the population. What Thailand desperately needs is a benevolent leader working for the country as a whole rather than clan profits. The only Thai person I can think of that is working for true justice, acting with impartiality, and with a zero budget to boot is David over at CSI LA on facebook. Incredible that it takes someone living abroad to be able to distribute information(without being whacked in minutes).

If I remember well, a former PM has been recently ousted for indirectly promoting her nephew.....

Please now, you must get with the program and use the proper terminology ...

That was an "elected" PM...

an elected PM, who became a caretaker PM before being removed from office by a court. Let's not forget all her accomplishments.

Accomplishments? List them good or bad. The rice pledging scheme will be a good start !

Ahh well, for all we know maybe his brother is actually the best man for the job

And for all we know Uncle Too instigated a coup, tore up the constitution, granted himself amnesty etc, etc, solely based on an altruistic desire to "fix" the country.

But in reality.....coffee1.gif

Is it possible that his brother just happens to be the best person for the job?

Prayut was a career soldier his brother may have been as well.

Is Prayut doing the best thing for his country despite the jeers from the gallery?

We may never know. blink.png

Great to see.

you were doing alright until you came to claim that Thaksin is the only man that can save this nation. He never was and never will be a true democrat.

Over-turn the social order - for sure.

Send the military packing - must happen.

Implement a fully enfranchised democracy - would love to see it happen.

But it won't be Thaksin leading the charge.

Thaksin has proven time and time again that he is in it only for himself, that he will "defend democracy" when it serves him, and that he will stand by quietly while others dismantle democracy when that is in his best interests. He said f-all about the coup when it happened. He told his followers to appease the junta. He may not be the last one to come to the defense of Thailand's democratic core, but he is certainly not at the top of the list either.

Well well, it seems he wasn't made the new Army chief after all !.

How stupid do some of you feel now ?. Or will you simply switch tact, ignore the fact that you were completely wrong and carry on exactly as before ?.

How many ways are there for people to be hypocrites I wonder ....

I'm sure it's different in Thailand, but in the US, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (the TOP Military guy) says 'SIR' to the Secretary of Defense.

Of course in Thailand he could/would/will be tossed out like so much used dish water with the next coup.

Hypocrites indeed.

I am apolitical in Thailand. I just view its government as a basket case.

This is just PURE nepotism & a further power grab.

Prayut "might" be the right guy at the right time though.

The last few Thugs were thieves.........Let's just hope he is the lesser evil of a pool of poor candidates...even though he wasn't elected.

I just wish he'd get off his high horse about bicycle paths & focus on corruption and forget about submarines.

Great to see.

you were doing alright until you came to claim that Thaksin is the only man that can save this nation. He never was and never will be a true democrat.

Over-turn the social order - for sure.

Send the military packing - must happen.

Implement a fully enfranchised democracy - would love to see it happen.

But it won't be Thaksin leading the charge.

Thaksin has proven time and time again that he is in it only for himself, that he will "defend democracy" when it serves him, and that he will stand by quietly while others dismantle democracy when that is in his best interests. He said f-all about the coup when it happened. He told his followers to appease the junta. He may not be the last one to come to the defense of Thailand's democratic core, but he is certainly not at the top of the list either.

I agree. But overturning the social order, a fully enfranchised democracy, real professional military who keep out of politics, and professional police based on ability, sound training and supported by a fair impartial judicial system; a meritocracy where all are given chance and rewarded for their endeavors, skill and hard work. That is a massive paradigm shift - for most if not all the people here. Many simply seem to accept the social order in much the same way as the Indian caste system is accepted by many at the bottom as well as top.

Hard to see where that type of leadership would come from. Certainly not any of the "establishment" and noveau riche who would do all they could to resist. Those at the top of the feudal hierarchy patron based system want that system to carry on so that they can continue to do as they please, and know they'll become even richer.

Hopefully the increased access to information and education will spark more thinking among younger Thais.

Edited by Baerboxer

I seem to recall a good General conducting a illegal coup, and then proclaiming he was going to put an end to corruption and nepotism. Oh, wait, I get it, his brother was actually the most qualified man for the job. The fact that he is the younger brother of the illegal PM doesn't have anything to do with it. coffee1.gif

Out of curiosity do you know what the qualifications for the job are? Following on from that do you actually know if the generals brother has the qualifications necessary?

If he IS qualified then why the who ha? If he isn't then I can understand it.

Also as the PM has been confirmed in that post by the highest person in the land it means, at least to me, that he is the legal PM.

That you and I disagree on his status makes no difference to the Thai people. We have no voice.

Oh it's Ginjag-----ha ha, Would you care to tell me who was the defense minister in the PTP government ?????

Have you haters of Prayuth forgotten ?? egg on your faces.

With the super intellect of the last PM, and how well she couldn't manage, how the hell did she become -defense Minister ?? what long term qualifications did she have ?? about the same as she had to manage a country.

Here you all are trying to look good at Custers last stand, and your forgetting about this ??

Assigning General Preecha as Permanent Secretary of Defense is a very ominious appointment for any elected government.

He will apparently continue to hold his active military rank and also become a senior civil servant. In the civilian position I suspect that he cannot be removed or transferred due to a simple change in the Executive branch such as due to an election of new government leadership.

Any personnel action taken against Preech by an elected government would have to abide by civil service procedures. He would not be mandated to carry out the policies and priorities of the PM as would cabinet MP's appointed by the government. Although no doubt if PM Prayut later asked for his resignation, he would leave without protest but that would be within the context of the NCPO regime.

A previous Constitutional Court ruling preventing PM Yingluck's transfer of army officer Thawill would also discourage any unilateral removal or transfer of Preecha by an elected government that could be impeached for such actions. And under the draft 2015 Constitution should it be enacted into law, the alter-ego NCPO regime could go so far as to simply appoint a new, more accomodating PM to forestall actions against Preecha.

Preechas a Permanent Secretary of Defense will become yet another restriction on the freedom of an elected government to pursue its political agenda.

Oh it's Ginjag-----ha ha, Would you care to tell me who was the defense minister in the PTP government ?????

With the super intellect of the last PM, and how well she couldn't manage, how the hell did she become -defense Minister ?? what long term qualifications did she have ?? about the same as she had to manage a country.

Here you all are trying to look good at Custers last stand, and your forgetting about this ??

Two wrongs not make one right, you know...

Kist to refresh my memory what exactly Prayouth did so far?

Bringin guns to arm a militia in the south? Check

Sent back to China Ouighour then asking to not think the bombing maybe a revenge? Check

Telling the forensic to get inspired by blue shirt tv show? Check

Appointing his brother, even if he is competent, to show this country is now under a rule of law and not a family business? Check

Let the trial in samui turning in a farce, worse, letting key defense being under a deffamation law which will forbid them to assist the samui trial further? Check

Send a big middle finger to freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom of opinion? Check

Should i give you more?

Thaksin was a croon, her sister a proxy... prayouth is just an incompetent who works for above

Two wrongs not make one right, you know...

Kist to refresh my memory what exactly Prayouth did so far?

Bringin guns to arm a militia in the south? Check

Sent back to China Ouighour then asking to not think the bombing maybe a revenge? Check

Telling the forensic to get inspired by blue shirt tv show? Check

Appointing his brother, even if he is competent, to show this country is now under a rule of law and not a family business? Check

Let the trial in samui turning in a farce, worse, letting key defense being under a deffamation law which will forbid them to assist the samui trial further? Check

Send a big middle finger to freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom of opinion? Check

Should i give you more?

Thaksin was a croon, her sister a proxy... prayouth is just an incompetent who works for above

I understand.

You are nit picking a few of a list without some of the reasons behind them, and totally ignoring some positives. Please do not ask me for a list--because if you can dig up this list of yours you could equally dig up a brighter list.

Not all is perfect, but give him the 3 years that other stupid crew had and then start to compare the two, this seems to be the argument.

My last post said some truths---did you see any replies from the PM bashers ?? not a word many of them were not posting then, they are followers of a dying tribe.

I wish for a brighter future, and have been a critic on several moves by the PM.......but going along with what we had left and trying to correct it is the way forward---NOT like the minority PM bashers every day relentlessly posting negative posts that are not helping Thailand. Why not constructive criticism ?? problem this crews agenda does not cater for that. I wonder why.

Assigning General Preecha as Permanent Secretary of Defense is a very ominious appointment for any elected government.

He will apparently continue to hold his active military rank and also become a senior civil servant. In the civilian position I suspect that he cannot be removed or transferred due to a simple change in the Executive branch such as due to an election of new government leadership.

Any personnel action taken against Preech by an elected government would have to abide by civil service procedures. He would not be mandated to carry out the policies and priorities of the PM as would cabinet MP's appointed by the government. Although no doubt if PM Prayut later asked for his resignation, he would leave without protest but that would be within the context of the NCPO regime.

A previous Constitutional Court ruling preventing PM Yingluck's transfer of army officer Thawill would also discourage any unilateral removal or transfer of Preecha by an elected government that could be impeached for such actions. And under the draft 2015 Constitution should it be enacted into law, the alter-ego NCPO regime could go so far as to simply appoint a new, more accomodating PM to forestall actions against Preecha.

Preechas a Permanent Secretary of Defense will become yet another restriction on the freedom of an elected government to pursue its political agenda.

# 55, any comment from your lot, anything to say on this ?? have plenty to say about an appointment that seems to be in line with his job, no matter what family. so he is aware of what is needed-

going back to my post---placing Yingluck in the PM seat and her not being elected--AND having no background of PM work OR Defense Minister work, better you crowd not shout too much.