Customs put on auction 535 vehicles today

webfact

Customs put on auction 535 vehicles today

11936456_10153583025683637_1599432445_n-

BANGKOK: -- The Customs Department today put on oral auction a total 535 vehicles that were smuggled into the country and failed to pay taxes and have been seized.

This was the second traditional oral auction in a year.

Customs chief Somchai Sajjapongse said the oral auction to be held today was the second auction this fiscal year.

Vehicles put on auction will comprise Bentley, Porsche, Audi, Benz, and Ferrari luxury and sports cars.

He expected to over fetch over 500 million baht from this auction.

The highest starting price for cars on auction today is the 167th item on the auction list which is a Porsche 911 Turbo (RHD). It will start at 11.84 million baht.

For motorcycle, the highest starting price will be a BMW R1600GT at 872,000 baht.

The lowest starting price for cars will be Benz CL600, Daimler Saloon and Honda Integra at 10,000 baht each.

Mr Somchai said the first auction earned 337 million baht to the state.

Interested persons wishing to participate in auction process are to follow due process of registration including payment of money as deposit for participation through demand draft or cash.

The amount of deposit will vary to the starting price of the vehicle.

For vehicle lower than 1.5 million baht starting price, deposit must be 100,000 baht, and 200,000 baht for over 1.5 million baht price.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/customs-put-on-auction-535-vehicles-today

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-25

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Daimler for 10,000 Baht?

There are often former luxury cars like jaguars, 7 series bmws, mercs in the UK auto trader "bargain buys" for only a few hundred quid

Some of these vehicles will probably be "sold" before the auction starts off if it's anything like the rest of Thailand...

I should have waited and not bought the new Juke for the wife for 840k. Maybe could have got her Range Rover for less! 535 luxury cars/bikes to net 500m baht? that's it? The first auction netted 337m baht? How many cars and bikes were in that bonanza for the state? I think they need a more experienced auctioneer!

Has no one in government ever thought of buying all the cheaply cars on auto trader shipping them over claiming they are ceased and making loads of money by using the term ceased goods auction having seen some of the starting prices they are absurd to say the least. The government would do a lot better if it charged realistic prices for imported vehicles !

A Daimler for 10,000 Baht?

Which part of auction don't you understand?

The usual thing, not informing the people about the auction and low prices.....sure cousin, brother and neighbor went up to 20.000 by fighting each other.

At least a few of these would be people who brought them in without knowing about the duty & just had to abandon them. Yep, the eye teeth will have been picked out already. Did they ever find the 200 or whatever that were missing? That of course is the way to get a real bargain. Get someone to help you steal it, but only if you then have a contact in Motor Registrations to help register it. But, TIT????

Of course you won't be taking the vehicle for a test drive and most likely there's not going to be an opportunity to hear it start and run.

At past auctions, allegedly the ECU or various electronic brain components have been carefully removed before the Customs get hold of the car (or perhaps even after) and only the person who holds that little box of tricks will ever get that car to start and drive.

Imagine even just parting with a couple of million Baht for one of the Porsches and then realising that all the magic boxes were missing.

Maybe some of these car's were actually brought into the country with a view to being caught (anonymous tip of) and then officially purchased by the original owner at the auction, of course he would only have to take the hit of the original cost of the car tax free and the price he pays at auction, then he's got a 100% legally imported car.I mentioned "allegedly" as perhaps this never happened

If you pay 100000 deposit for "participation" and buy a car for 10000 do you get 90000 back?

You get the full 100k back if you don't buy anything, bar maybe an admin fee

Its same as way the fbi and sheriffs office Do it in USA with property confiscated from so called criminals like ross ulbricht and the silk Rd trial...

If you pay 100000 deposit for "participation" and buy a car for 10000 do you get 90000 back?

I believe that is the idea.

I think the deposits (100k if bidding for something under 1.5 mil in value or 200k if bidding on something over that amount) are meant to weed out the "joy-riders" and shills (maybe). If you have to cough up 1-200 k just to be there, it would certainly make for a smaller group that perhaps is more likely to actually be looking to buy something. I don't actually see any Terms on their site except when trying to register for the E-Auction. Not quite sure how that works though if you plan on bidding on multiple items. I think the deposit is also a kind of guarantee to keep people from bidding for stuff and then just walking away without paying for bids they win.

I was going to register for that E-Auction to see if I could get email updates but I don't understand the Terms & Conditions well enough (google translate kinda sucks sometimes). There is the section just under the E-Auction where you can enter your email address to get updates - for the next 15 days.

They have a FaceBook page as well (https://www.facebook.com/UnionAuctionCo). Might get a heads up on future auctions from that.