Customs put on auction 535 vehicles today

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course you won't be taking the vehicle for a test drive and most likely there's not going to be an opportunity to hear it start and run.

At past auctions, allegedly the ECU or various electronic brain components have been carefully removed before the Customs get hold of the car (or perhaps even after) and only the person who holds that little box of tricks will ever get that car to start and drive.

Imagine even just parting with a couple of million Baht for one of the Porsches and then realising that all the magic boxes were missing.

Maybe some of these car's were actually brought into the country with a view to being caught (anonymous tip of) and then officially purchased by the original owner at the auction, of course he would only have to take the hit of the original cost of the car tax free and the price he pays at auction, then he's got a 100% legally imported car.I mentioned "allegedly" as perhaps this never happened

Oh boy, you better go back and work on your Apollo moon landing theory. The above is just nuts!

If you pay 100000 deposit for "participation" and buy a car for 10000 do you get 90000 back?

I believe that is the idea.

I think the deposits (100k if bidding for something under 1.5 mil in value or 200k if bidding on something over that amount) are meant to weed out the "joy-riders" and shills (maybe). If you have to cough up 1-200 k just to be there, it would certainly make for a smaller group that perhaps is more likely to actually be looking to buy something. I don't actually see any Terms on their site except when trying to register for the E-Auction. Not quite sure how that works though if you plan on bidding on multiple items. I think the deposit is also a kind of guarantee to keep people from bidding for stuff and then just walking away without paying for bids they win.

I was going to register for that E-Auction to see if I could get email updates but I don't understand the Terms & Conditions well enough (google translate kinda sucks sometimes). There is the section just under the E-Auction where you can enter your email address to get updates - for the next 15 days.

They have a FaceBook page as well (https://www.facebook.com/UnionAuctionCo). Might get a heads up on future auctions from that.

You just need to show a cashiers check of 100,000 (or 200,0000) made out to the customs department to get a bidding number. You keep the cashiers check, but can bid away as much as you want.

If you don't buy anything, then you just return the check to the bank and get your money back.

Guest or non-bidders are more than welcome to sit in and enjoy the auction.

i guess people will be very lucky to be invited & buying cars cheap and selling them for x times more later that day

That's the way auctions tend to work so why not? Some people will also realise that they have bought a liability. That's the way auctions work also.

Of course you won't be taking the vehicle for a test drive and most likely there's not going to be an opportunity to hear it start and run.

At past auctions, allegedly the ECU or various electronic brain components have been carefully removed before the Customs get hold of the car (or perhaps even after) and only the person who holds that little box of tricks will ever get that car to start and drive.

Imagine even just parting with a couple of million Baht for one of the Porsches and then realising that all the magic boxes were missing.

Maybe some of these car's were actually brought into the country with a view to being caught (anonymous tip of) and then officially purchased by the original owner at the auction, of course he would only have to take the hit of the original cost of the car tax free and the price he pays at auction, then he's got a 100% legally imported car.I mentioned "allegedly" as perhaps this never happened

Oh boy, you better go back and work on your Apollo moon landing theory. The above is just nuts!

Try searching the following words for a better understanding:

Customs to auction seized luxury cars but under question by former finance minister

The import duties are punitive. If it weren't the government doing it, it would be called extortion.

Hence, smuggling, and a large number of abandoned or confiscated vehicles.

But as I understand it, there is no corruption in the process.

Not all cars or motorcycles are confiscated import vehicles. Some are confiscated for other reasons, criminal activities and stolen vehicles from Malaysia.

This auction also had some vehicles with "d" (daar dek) registration, which is reserved for the more noble part of Thailand.

Remember the big corruption shake out 6 months ago, they could come from there, but I am really not sure.

A Daimler for 10,000 Baht?

Which part of auction don't you understand?

The usual thing, not informing the people about the auction and low prices.....sure cousin, brother and neighbor went up to 20.000 by fighting each other.

Keep an eye on the auction's website, http://union-auction.com/en, like everyone else has to then you'll be able to snap up the bargains next time.

Try searching the following words for a better understanding:

Customs to auction seized luxury cars but under question by former finance minister

Maybe there is a reason he is a FORMER finance minister. He probably have the time to help you with your Apollo theory.

a little bit late as usual again this is another black mark on the thai list . farangs are allowed to attend and bid providing they know about the auction in the first place but the problem is the thais don't advertise car auctions no win situation .

In my country auctions of this kind are also not advertised, but people in the business get informed.

a little bit late as usual again this is another black mark on the thai list . farangs are allowed to attend and bid providing they know about the auction in the first place but the problem is the thais don't advertise car auctions no win situation .

So how do Thais know about the auction then if there is no advertising? The auctions are advertised by the auction company, obviously, they want to sell the vehicles, don't they? Just don't expect Thaivisa to carry reports of them, follow the auction house' website.

In my country auctions of this kind are also not advertised, but people in the business get informed.

But they are advertised here.

But they are advertised here.

Oh, ok. They advertised on Thai Visa? I missed that ad but they had no Fiat Bambino anyway

Announcements were made both on the customs and the auction house's web sites. It was also covered in the general press, but maybe you were just not interested enough to seek out the information.

I imagine there are many desirable vehicles.One problem is there are some deep pockets there.You can believe with many of

The desirable vehicles they won't go at low bids.Some dealers will be there just to buy it and put it on their lotto sell it at A higher

Price.

Having been involved with this back home, it's a real hit and miss deal. I had a partner in this business. He knew his stuff really well and still, got stung. He owned a dealership in my town.

You get a good deal on the car, then find out all the hidden problems and end up with not such a good deal. Many who attend these auctions are experts and really know their stuff.

I should have waited and not bought the new Juke for the wife for 840k. Maybe could have got her Range Rover for less! 535 luxury cars/bikes to net 500m baht? that's it? The first auction netted 337m baht? How many cars and bikes were in that bonanza for the state? I think they need a more experienced auctioneer!

I should have reviewed what they are auctioning first. Now I see that many of the cars look like they have been stored on the quay side for several years with the windows open. Probably a lot that will never be used as a car again! Maybe scrap!

I should have waited and not bought the new Juke for the wife for 840k. Maybe could have got her Range Rover for less! 535 luxury cars/bikes to net 500m baht? that's it? The first auction netted 337m baht? How many cars and bikes were in that bonanza for the state? I think they need a more experienced auctioneer!

I should have reviewed what they are auctioning first. Now I see that many of the cars look like they have been stored on the quay side for several years with the windows open. Probably a lot that will never be used as a car again! Maybe scrap!

Most cars were in really good conditions and in turn driven by own power on a small podium in from of the auctioneer.