3 day overstay - best exit strategy?

Silly me, just booked my flight home after another pleasant stay in LOS but forgot to check my visa exemption stamp first. Looks like I'll be 3 days over.

I know its not terribly serious, but how do I deal with this with the least hassle, expense and potential for problems?

Option 1 - Get an extension -- I've done this once before here in Chiang Mai. Not the end of world, but it eats up an entire morning, a bunch of red tape, interview with immigration, etc. 1900 baht.

Option 2 - Pay the overstay fine in advance here in Chiang Mai. Don't know what this entails. Probably forms and lots of sitting around waiting? I assume they would want 500 thb x 3 or 1500 thb.

Option 3 - pay at BKK on the way out. Itinerary starts at CNX, I assume I clear immigration at BKK? Reports seem to indicate that short overstays are handled quickly and efficiently. I have a 3 hour layover. Any potential problems or delays? Any significant black mark against me w immigration? 1500 baht, if they count the days.

I think 3 is the easiest way to go, but if there is any real potential for nastiness at BKK, then I'll just deal with it in advance.

What would you do?

Here's an interesting question of minor practical importance... My flight BKK-CDG takes off at 12:05am, which means I'll be clearing immigration on overstay day 3, but not actually leaving Thai soil until overstay day 4. Think they'll try to get me for the extra day?

What about option 2? Anyone ever paid an overstay fine at an immigration office?

Edited by seancho

Here's an interesting question of minor practical importance... My flight BKK-CDG takes off at 12:05am, which means I'll be clearing customs on overstay day 3, but not actually leaving Thai soil until overstay day 4. Think they'll try to get me for the extra day?

What about option 2? Anyone ever paid an overstay fine at an immigration office?

They will charge you based on the date you exit.

Walking in to an immigration office with an overstay is a bad idea. You will open yourself up to being arrested and deported.

Why waste a day going to immigration? Technically you will be illegal but stay out of trouble. The first time I accidentally over stayed by a few days I went to immigration in Chiang Mai and asked them what to do? They told me not to worry and just pay on my way ouy in BKK. This was ten years ago but you are not going to get in to any kind of trouble for a 3 day over stay. If you are making other problems they can and will do whatever they want but an innocent over stay of 3 days nobody is going to care about.

Option #4: go to Big C and buy a red clown nose, go to the airport, smile and say I am a clown and "make a boo boo"= the officer will point, laugh, take a Facebook photo and let you exit debt free.laugh.png

I like this suggest you follow advice and let us know how you do

Get the inflatable into Koo Greece ($1500) trek overland through Balkans, avoid the new fence into Hungary and then head west. Lots of good Syrian and African food on the way and before you know it your Swedish and golden!

• Like 1

If an extra 7-800 Baht is not a problem on top of the 1,900 Baht extension fee get the extension. Many companies in CM offer this service, just give them your passport and 1 photo and they will sit in line, fill out the paperwork etc for you while you enjoy your day out and return your visa extended passport to you.

Get the Extension, waste a half a day, maybe meet some interesting people doing the same...........being legal is the best way to go - if you happen to get arrested while overstaying...........you have "Big Plublum" which could cost you a helluva lot more than a half a day and 1900 baht.wai.gif

You could arrange for a boat leaving from the rayong pier. It will be at midnight exactly ... then get of on the west side of the island and wait for the signal ... usually a flash light. This boat will take you onto Greece where you depart and head for Hungary.

Here's an interesting question of minor practical importance... My flight BKK-CDG takes off at 12:05am, which means I'll be clearing immigration on overstay day 3, but not actually leaving Thai soil until overstay day 4. Think they'll try to get me for the extra day?

"What about option 2? Anyone ever paid an overstay fine at an immigration office? "

Pretty sure you'd have to pay the fine up through the day you visited the immigrations office AND be required to apply for an extension of stay. I doubt they would be receptive to you prepaying the fine for some additional overstay until you fly out since you would still be present in the country illegally without an extension.

or have a return ticket when you arrive to get the 30 days visa exempt.

Two overstays might trigger the question about having a return ticket next time you arrive visa exempt. Could be embarrassing if they refuse entry.

I know a lot of people will say immigration never ask for this....trust me...they do!

Edited by Mudcrab

whistling.gif If you can pay the fine at BKK airport do it. I'm not sure if you won't have to pay at CNX or not.... but anyhow check in for your flight early just in case

Just have the funds and remember to check in for your flight early because there will be a delay exiting through departure immigration due to you having to go and pay the fine.

So allow yourself extra time and don't wait until the last minute to check in.

The desk to the overstay at BKK is inside the departure immigration area, so you can not enter that area until you have checked in. That is exactly why you should check in as early as possible.... to get it all done.

There are places in the airport where you can get a cup of coffee or a quick beer so get paying the overstay out of the way first, then if you have time for a quick coffee or beer you can.

Believe me, the officers at the overstay desk have seen it all before, and as long as you are paying the fine it is just routine to them.

They may write a short note in your passport in Thai that you overstayed and paid the fine..... but that has no effect on your return later.

The main point is to get it done and not to wait to the last minute to pay the overstay fine.

You will overstay only 3 days if you go through Passport Control before midnight.

Technically speaking, you've already exited the country after Passport Control.

1. I would go to the immigration office and pay 1,900B for the extension.

Option 2 is not an option at all.

If you show up at the local immigration office with an overstay already, they might let you pay the 1900 bath for an extension (option 1).

There is no way they let you out of there just paying 3 days of overstay (or not even one day), and let you walk away promising to go to the airport and leave the country.

You are lucky if they dont arrest you, and send you to prison at IDC in Bangkok. That has happened to several people, thinking they are doing the "right" thing.

The least they will do, is make you pay for the extension. If so, you have no idea how lucky you actually are.

Option 1 is the safest. But you must do it before you go into overstay. I recommend not to pay the fine at the airport. It is surely no problem if you first get there, but you will be arrested if you get caught before that happens. And that is not a pleasant ride, believe me. Been there, done that.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1