Songthaew rolled over in Bang por.

The news report said the driver was thrown out of his car and broke his neck. If this was the case, he most likely wasn't wearing his seat belts.

There were 2 Germans and 2 Thais as passengers.

The driver of song thiaw was trying to overtake a car, but there was a truck coming on the opposite direction, so he suddenly had to turn his car to the left to avoid the truck, but lost control of his song thiaw and it crashed into the side of the road.

Fatal Songthaew accident in Nathon Koh Samui

fatal-accident-in-Nathon-August.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Yesterday, 26th August at around 3pm a Songthaew overturned killing the driver and seriously injuring many of the fatal accident in Nathon, both locals and tourists.

The incident took place near Bang Por on the steep mountain road. Reports suggest that they vehicle skidded before overturning. According to witnesses the driver’s throat was slit by a shard of broken windscreen, he died at the scene.

Those injured were rushed to Nathon and Chaweng hospitals. This steep area between Maenam and Nathon is a notorious accident black spot, road works taking place in the area over the last few months have made this particular stretch of road even more precarious.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-08-27

Passed this sot this morning, intensive construction at that point with new drainage and the curve, lots of equipment and pre-fab drain pieces all over in that exact spot.

It wasn't on the hill, it was on the flat on the bend at the end of Bang Por beach just past Relax. A good 800m before the hill......

shard of glass??? since when are windscreens not safety glass, or am i expecting too much here?

a cause of deaths 100 yrs ago, then they invented safety glass which crumbles.

shard of glass??? since when are windscreens not safety glass, or am i expecting too much here?

But if you put window tinting on the windscreen it will hold it together.

Window film will not hold the windscreen together if you hit it head on with enough force- a consequence of not wearing a seat belt. If, as reported, the driver was thrown out of the vehicle it can be guaranteed he was not wearing a seat belt.

Window film will not hold the windscreen together if you hit it head on with enough force- a consequence of not wearing a seat belt. If, as reported, the driver was thrown out of the vehicle it can be guaranteed he was not wearing a seat belt.

So how does the driver get his throat slit by a shard of glass and thrown out of the cabin at the same time?

Think that would be a hard ask for even a 'final destination' flick

Surprisingly, in the 7 years I've been here, this is the first accident involving a Songthaew that I've heard of.

Or maybe I just haven't been reading the right news reports.

coffee1.gif

They only report a small number of the accidents - if they reported all it would fill up a book size of the bible every day ... sad sad the way drivers here play russian roulette with other peoples life

Passed this sot this morning, intensive construction at that point with new drainage and the curve, lots of equipment and pre-fab drain pieces all over in that exact spot.

It wasn't on the hill, it was on the flat on the bend at the end of Bang Por beach just past Relax. A good 800m before the hill......

I am no rocket scientist but i would have to say your interpretation of ''flat'' is not the same as the rest of us!!! That picture is most certainly on a hill.

So how does the driver get his throat slit by a shard of glass and thrown out of the cabin at the same time?

Think that would be a hard ask for even a 'final destination' flick

Use some imagination for goodness sake! If he got thrown through the windscreen it obviously broke and as it was made of ordinary glass, there is every chance that part of the said windscreen cut his throat.

Or why don't you try diving through a shop window head first and see what happens?

Edited by sambum

In the Thai news report, it said the driver broke his neck when he got thrown out of the car. Not sure which one is correct, but judging from the pics, I'm gonna believe the Thai news.

The accident happened on a flat road. It looks like he lost control of his car, and it crashed into the side of the road making his car turn over.

The hill you see in the pics is just a driveway up to a house, not the main road. I suggest you go and look at the location yourself and you'll know how it looks like.

I was just thinking the same thing-------- sorry Mr Reporter but you are wrong------- you cannot cut your throat with glass from a windscreen.However RIP to the driver,and try and do better next time to the Reportercoffee1.gif