US praises Thailand for crushing 2.1 tonnes of illegal ivory

webfact

IVORY
US praises Thailand for crushing 2.1 tonnes of illegal ivory

Anapat Deechuay
The Nation

30267535-01_big.jpg?1440626619322

BANGKOK: -- THE United States has the applauded Thai government's action - working with local non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and international partners - in destroying 2.1 tonnes of confiscated ivory.

The government joined the United States and other nations in crushing and burning the ivory and trafficked wildlife items. According to the US Embassy in Bangkok, the action sent a clear message that the illicit commerce that fuels the slaughter of protected species such as elephants had no place in the world.

"This event in Bangkok along with ongoing efforts (such as strengthening protection of African elephants under Thai law and tightening regulations on the ivory sale) signalled the government's commitment to ending a global challenge of wildlife trafficking," the embassy said.

It affirmed that the US remained deeply committed to working in partnership with Thailand and other governments, NGOs and others to end wildlife trafficking.

Embassy officials including acting deputy chief of mission Kristina Kvien watched the destruction event.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, presiding over the ivory-crushing ceremony, said no elephant would be killed again for whatever reason. He called this event a chance to declare Thailand's stance against illegal ivory trades and to adhere to CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora).

"We must tackle this issue efficiently for the progress of Thailand and for our work to be recognised by the international community. We must collaborate, cooperate, and put into practice the introduced regulations and keep doing our best to protect elephants with strict enforcement," Prayut said.

He pointed out that the government was backed by the Elephant Ivory Act 2015 and supported by agencies and owners and traders who registered their ivory. He said Thailand would now be free from such law violations.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/US-praises-Thailand-for-crushing-2-1-tonnes-of-ill-30267535.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-27

In this I disagree with the international community. It's like cutting off your nose despite your face.

Why couldn't they have hired artisans to carve the ivory into fine works of art, sell them to the public and tourists and funnel all the money back into the fight to prevent elephant poaching. Is that really unreasonable?

Edited by oneday

In this I disagree with the international community. It's like cutting off your nose despite your face.

Why couldn't they have hired artisans to carve the ivory into fine works of art, sell them to the public and tourists and funnel all the money back into the fight to prevent elephant poaching. Is that really unreasonable?

I think it's.. Cutting off your nose to spite your face...

But unfortunately they cant say, well <deleted> it, since the elephant is already dead, let's make some money from these bones...

The ivory permits is a strange issue too.. People can register their ivory with the government and get a licence to keep it now but future ivory will be illegal etc

But if I wanted ivory, I need to buy some with a permit from a previous owner... But they have no exact way to tell if it's the same ivory, It's not like ivory has vin or chassis numbers like a vehicle...

This will make ivory more expensive for sure on the open markets but also creates an opportunity for corrupt officials in charge of the permit allocations and transfers

People who already have a load of ivory are going to get richer from this - I would make it completely illegal to obtain/possess/own/sell/transfer and cut out the bullshit

That is sort of like saying...all those girls that were raped should now sell their bodies for money...as they were already violated.

It does nothing to stop the raping of ivory by people that already shot the elephant, sawed off the tusks and got paid.

It does punish the funder of the crime.