Had a good laugh this morning.

KarenBravo

As long term residents here, I'm sure we all have seen business opened, or advertised which we knew were doomed from the start.

The Oktoberfest and the stunt car show to name a couple of obvious ones.

But, saw one today that made me laugh out loud.

Went to the Phuket News adverts and saw one for knife-sharpening "professionally with German know-how".

It shows a drawing of an old time knife-sharpening push-cart with grind-stone.

I was taught a very easy way to sharpen knives by a Thai woman.

Just turn-over any ceramic bowl, saucer, or plate and you will see a ring of un-glazed ceramic that is just perfect for whetting a steel blade with.

Somehow, don't think this guy will last long...........especially if he's pushing a cart through the streets.

Didn't link to the advert as I can't keep up with the TV policies about who you can and can't link to.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually used his services and my professional kitchen knifes are as sharp when I bought them.

And no, he does not come with a push cart, but comes with his grinding machine on a motorbike.

Very professional guy, I even let him work on my Japanese kitchen knifes, well done.

They actually have knife sharpening services in the U.S.

they supply the knifes,pick up the restaurants knives every

week and drop off the already sharpened knives,take the

blunt knives back to depot to sharpen,will it be a success

here?, but at least he is trying something different,than

those that come and open bars,restaurants.

regards Worgeordie

OK, if this thread is going to evolve into a duff business thread........

I noticed that the German butchery on east side of Chao Fah West has closed down. It had a very narrow frontage and was set back too far from the main road.

By the time you saw it, you'd passed it.

Righto. Might as well just delete this topic, then.

2 members using his services is not a guaranteed business success.

I am sure you agree that there is a life other than being a member here.

In case you want to use his services, you better call to make an appointment as he is very busy sharpening knifes for businesses and private clients.

OK, if this thread is going to evolve into a duff business thread........

I noticed that the German butchery on east side of Chao Fah West has closed down. It had a very narrow frontage and was set back too far from the main road.

By the time you saw it, you'd passed it.

I am not too surprised that its closed. Had some German friends trying his products once, but they were not too impressed about the quality.

But I am disappointed that the Bakery " Fruits of Trang" at the Sai Yuan traffic light closed, as IMO his products were excellent.

Now have to look for quality German bread products again.

2 members using his services is not a guaranteed business success.

I am sure you agree that there is a life other than being a member here.

In case you want to use his services, you better call to make an appointment as he is very busy sharpening knifes for businesses and private clients.

What life?

Good for him.

personally, i have been looking in thailand (bangkok) for years for a place to have my good knives re-edged.

id be off to see this guy like a shot if he were here.

last time i had a knife properly sharpened i had to send it away, sorry but your ceramic plate thing just isn't on

Right so, as you were sarcastic from the beginning without knowing what you were talking about.

Professional Chefs do like other professionals looking after their knives.

Shabby chefs don't even have descent knives and mostly all blunt.

Sharpening knives doing it yourself can ruin your knife. A professional knows about what angles to sharpen and for each knife different.

Ex farang Chef

Since this topic will evolve into "what happened to".. Mr. Moo. He used to have freezers at different supermarkets. None now. Any ideas?

I think Ray's product te are still at Villa Market or go direct to his place on Pataki road about opposite the Shell station.

If you buy quality German knives, then they're tough as can be, and don't need sharpening so much. If you buy locally then sharpening is something you do every second slice of bread it seems. I'm no expert though, it's just observation.

Sharpening quality cutting tools is an unappreciated artform. Scissors, kitchen knives, axes, my army stiletto, scythes, Japanese Damascus blades, etc., all require different angles, honing. A 30 baht kitchen knife? Sure, sharpen it on a bowl.

Edited by Seligne2

One of these experts will do the trick. This gentleman used to do the rounds of my wife's village in Holland through the 1960s.

Twenty years later, back on holidays, and the museum there asked me for a copy as no one had ever taken a photo of him.

post-111567-0-70607800-1440668427_thumb.

My Chefs knives would cost close to 100k to replace. All folded steele. The ex thought that she could use one and kept using it.She really messed it up. I would be delighted to have it brought back to a proper edge. ...........I would not even attempt it.

If you buy quality German knives, then they're tough as can be, and don't need sharpening so much. If you buy locally then sharpening is something you do every second slice of bread it seems. I'm no expert though, it's just observation.

I don't know about that I have a Dich chef's knife from Bavaria and the steel is very soft and often needs sharpening. but a great knife

They used to come around Bangkok with carts with foot pedal grinders but I haven't seen one in years. If anyione knows of one in Pattaya I could keep him busy for half a day. Knives, shears, garden tools, lawn mower blade and on and on. Nothing seems to hold an edge for long.

Every professional chef I know, sharpens his own knives.

But not on the bottom of a saucer.

Ah.....but, I'm not a professional chef, just a complete amateur and it certainly gets the knife sharp enough to slice through chicken and vegetables, which is all I require of it.

Right so, as you were sarcastic from the beginning without knowing what you were talking about.

Sharpening knives doing it yourself can ruin your knife. A professional knows about what angles to sharpen and for each knife different.

Ex farang Chef

You obviously didn't go to the site and see his advertising picture, then.

The mental image of some foreigner pushing around a knife sharpeners cart yelling his services in German around Rawai just cracked me up.

In my imagination, he had a Kaiser Wilhelm moustache and wore a Pickelhaub smile.png

Ex farang Chef

How did you give up being a farang?

I will look for his advert. Struggled with cheap Thai made knives but finally got fed up and bought a full suite of second hand carbon steel and a new set of German Wusthoff trident knives on eBay and had 'em shipped in. Lovely knives and usually only need a touchup on a steel but will need a pro sharpening, eventually. A properly sharpened knife is a joy to use and well worth the cost of the service. Hope I can find him.