Had a good laugh this morning.

KarenBravo

Anyone know of a sharpening service in Chiang Mai? I have looked and looked but so far to no avail.

Haven't seen a pro sofar. Several wet markets have a guy sitting somewhere who sharpens knives. He does it however on a hollow worn out piece of grinding stone, so you best do it at home self.

General rule is a sharpening angle of about 29 degrees.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will look for his advert. Struggled with cheap Thai made knives but finally got fed up and bought a full suite of second hand carbon steel and a new set of German Wusthoff trident knives on eBay and had 'em shipped in. Lovely knives and usually only need a touchup on a steel but will need a pro sharpening, eventually. A properly sharpened knife is a joy to use and well worth the cost of the service. Hope I can find him.

which ebay site did you use? i have trouble having some of the items that i want (mostly electronic things) unable to ship in

I have purchased hundreds of items on eBay (US) over the years. Many sellers won't ship overseas and I have everything shipped to my brother in Los Angeles which is my Permanent Legal Address in the US. He accumulates several items over a month or two and packs them all into one box and ships them to me for one inclusive shipping fee. I then send him a check from my US bank to cover the shipping fees. A small item that would cost $25 to send here in its original package costs only a few dollars when combined with other items. Many of the items I purchase are shipped free to my brother as well so I only pay the shipping to Thailand. I have purchased phones and a MacBook Air, car and MC parts, many miscellaneous items on eBay and Amazon. I have rarely been charged customs fees as I believe they just make random checks. However I never cheat on the shipping documents, listing everything and the cost I paid. I recommend finding an agent, friend or relative in the country you want to buy from and establish them as your verified shipping address and have them transship the items to you by regular mail. I have also purchased some items from Oz and the UK and have them shipped in direct; in some cases shipped to the US and sent in the common box. Bad experiences ordering from China and HK and I no longer do that. If I can find the same item with a US seller I will pay a few dollars more just so I am assured it will actually be delivered in a few days instead of six months or never. I always send my brother a few extra dollars to cover his costs and buy him a lunch. Hope this helps.

Obviously no-one has heard of 'Pyramid Power' . Knives have been found and Still Sharp after 2000 years in Egyptian Pyramids so save a few bucks , build your mini-pyramid and keep your knives in it !!

How many times were the knives, in those Egyptian Pyramids, used over the previous 2000 years?

'Pyramid Power'??? If the knife is sealed up, locked away and never used, guess it might just keep it's sharp edge a bit longer than an item that is used on a regular basis.

Or, perhaps, knives were made better back then. Like the axe my great-grandfather bought. In 100 years, the handle has been replaced 10 times and the head 5 times. Today, the axe is as good as new. They just don't make tools like that, anymore.

If the handle was replaced 10 times and the head 5 times what is 100 years old as doesnt an axe ony have 2 parts? Edited by Reigntax