Had a good laugh this morning.

KarenBravo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall when young in New York the knife man would come around with his cart in the summer time. Many women or their kids would wait in line and hand the man a bunch of knives. For many reasons, I miss those days and that world. Story triggered nostalgia.

When I lived on Nanai Rd there was a bloke who used to some around doing knife selling and sharpening but it was always unpredictable as to when he would come next. There was also the old bloke with the pitch boiler for repairing flat roof leaks. As black as the ace of spades were his clothes but he provided an essential service...... This was only last year.

If you buy quality German knives, then they're tough as can be, and don't need sharpening so much. If you buy locally then sharpening is something you do every second slice of bread it seems. I'm no expert though, it's just observation.

I have Japanese Global knives and they're the best I've ever used. They could do with re-edging now as my steel keeps them sharp but not as good as they were when new so maybe I'll bring them to Phuket - not in my hand luggage tho'

Obviously no-one has heard of 'Pyramid Power' . Knives have been found and Still Sharp after 2000 years in Egyptian Pyramids so save a few bucks , build your mini-pyramid and keep your knives in it !!

How many times were the knives, in those Egyptian Pyramids, used over the previous 2000 years?

'Pyramid Power'??? If the knife is sealed up, locked away and never used, guess it might just keep it's sharp edge a bit longer than an item that is used on a regular basis.

Or, perhaps, knives were made better back then. Like the axe my great-grandfather bought. In 100 years, the handle has been replaced 10 times and the head 5 times. Today, the axe is as good as new. They just don't make tools like that, anymore.

They actually have knife sharpening services in the U.S.

they supply the knifes,pick up the restaurants knives every

week and drop off the already sharpened knives,take the

blunt knives back to depot to sharpen,will it be a success

here?, but at least he is trying something different,than

those that come and open bars,restaurants.

regards Worgeordie

NELLA Cutlery services almost all of Canada, Seattle and Salt Lake city in this way. They also

sell commercial kitchen equipment but there business is based on knife service. Many in the

same business come from one valley in Italy. They have spread around the world, South America,

Australia, and North America. All from one valley in Italy. As you enter the valley there is a

tribute statue/monument of a man and a grinding wheel. Very successful.

In Phuket, there used to be those blokes that walked around the streets with a little drum with ball and string to announce they were there.

They had a large oil can filled with dye. You could dye any of your old clothes as long as you wanted black.

Haven't seen them around in a few years now.

I remember being tasked by my grandmother with running her knives and scissors down to the knife sharpener guy on the upper east side in Manhattan.
My mother was a professional knife destroyer, using one of those gadgets that you draw the blade through.
The bottom of the bowl trick is akin to using a steel to touch up a blade, not an actual sharpening. A good edge needs real reshaping from time to time on a properly flat stone. I use a medium and fine carborundum oil stone, and a variety of India stones if a really razor finish is required. You can usually shave a few arm hairs with my chef's knife.

Guess I was wrong, then.

I'm surprised. Does he push a cart?

Every professional chef I know, sharpens his own knives. They will never risk handing over their precious knives to anyone else.

You have to admire this guy,how many businesses operate on zero consumables?

Guess I was wrong, then.

Every professional chef I know, sharpens his own knives. They will never risk handing over their precious knives to anyone else.

Errrrrm.........ask all the girls hanging out at various bars all around the island.

Guess I was wrong, then.

Errrrrm.........ask all the girls hanging out at various bars all around the island.

Well yes! you can't beat sustainable resources!

Guess I was wrong, then.

Well yes! you can't beat sustainable resources!

Yes .... what can you sell and ten minutes turn around and sell again ... gigglem.gif

Every professional chef I know, sharpens his own knives.

But not on the bottom of a saucer.

Ah.....but, I'm not a professional chef, just a complete amateur and it certainly gets the knife sharp enough to slice through chicken and vegetables, which is all I require of it.

yes, you have admitted you dont have a clue when it comes to quality knives.

Every professional chef I know, sharpens his own knives.

But not on the bottom of a saucer.

Ah.....but, I'm not a professional chef, just a complete amateur and it certainly gets the knife sharp enough to slice through chicken and vegetables, which is all I require of it.

yes, you have admitted you dont have a clue when it comes to quality knives.

This thread didn't start as a thread about knives.

It was about a bloke possibly pushing a cart that sharpened knives.

Do try to keep up, there's a good fellow.

Righto. Might as well just delete this topic, then.

Right so, as you were sarcastic from the beginning without knowing what you were talking about.

Professional Chefs do like other professionals looking after their knives.

Shabby chefs don't even have descent knives and mostly all blunt.

Sharpening knives doing it yourself can ruin your knife. A professional knows about what angles to sharpen and for each knife different.

Ex farang Chef

How did you give up being a farang?

He got a sak yant tattoo. cheesy.gif

^^^^^What?blink.png

I think what the member is talking about is he is using the knife sharpening business as reconnaissance for coming back to the property, at a later stage, in order to commit a robbery.

I little like the house cleaner selling information to criminals, who will then break into the house.

I will look for his advert. Struggled with cheap Thai made knives but finally got fed up and bought a full suite of second hand carbon steel and a new set of German Wusthoff trident knives on eBay and had 'em shipped in. Lovely knives and usually only need a touchup on a steel but will need a pro sharpening, eventually. A properly sharpened knife is a joy to use and well worth the cost of the service. Hope I can find him.

which ebay site did you use? i have trouble having some of the items that i want (mostly electronic things) unable to ship in

Right so, as you were sarcastic from the beginning without knowing what you were talking about.

Sharpening knives doing it yourself can ruin your knife. A professional knows about what angles to sharpen and for each knife different.

Ex farang Chef

You obviously didn't go to the site and see his advertising picture, then.

The mental image of some foreigner pushing around a knife sharpeners cart yelling his services in German around Rawai just cracked me up.

In my imagination, he had a Kaiser Wilhelm moustache and wore a Pickelhaub smile.png

An advertising picture like that can be just the right marketing for this guy. It reminds customers of how it WAS done and many people know this.

If he was showing a high so van, what value would that bring to his message. Go ahead, sharpen your potato knife on the bottom of a bowl. However, this has nothing to do with 'sharpening' but all with straitening out the edges and that makes the knife feel sharper for a while, but there comes a moment that to much steel is used up and the knife will need a good craftsman to make the knife as new.

Ex farang Chef

How did you give up being a farang?

tongue.png