Another Red Wine Box

backstairs

"Thanks for the topic, backstairs. Who would have thought the thread would have turned out as it has?" easy there Stray newbie, you'll get the Montclair thread guys all jealous.crying.gif

P.S. and reason for edit: I'm hearing that the fruit wine loophole is going to get shut making these plonks just about the same price as an inexpensive Chilean (real wine). Anyway why not drop another 150tb for something better.....

Newbie??? 55555 . . .

Just because I have a low posting count and posed such a question to backstairs, doesn't make me new to the forum. I actually have far more important things to do than live on the internet and post on every topic.

As for dropping another 150 baht for something better, the downside of doing this, in Thailand, is contained within the first sentence of my third paragraph. I purchase my wines in countries where I believe the bottles have been transported and stored properly. As I'm only legally permitted to take one bottle back to Thailand after each trip I have the problem of running out of a drop of good red. I find the fruit juice blended reds to be a good stop-gap until my next trip out of the country.

So, in closing, I spend somewhat more than 150 THB, above the label price, for something better! wai2.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Thanks for the topic, backstairs. Who would have thought the thread would have turned out as it has?" easy there Stray newbie, you'll get the Montclair thread guys all jealous.crying.gif

P.S. and reason for edit: I'm hearing that the fruit wine loophole is going to get shut making these plonks just about the same price as an inexpensive Chilean (real wine). Anyway why not drop another 150tb for something better.....

Newbie??? 55555 . . .

Just because I have a low posting count and posed such a question to backstairs, doesn't make me new to the forum. I actually have far more important things to do than live on the internet and post on every topic.

As for dropping another 150 baht for something better, the downside of doing this, in Thailand, is contained within the first sentence of my third paragraph. I purchase my wines in countries where I believe the bottles have been transported and stored properly. As I'm only legally permitted to take one bottle back to Thailand after each trip I have the problem of running out of a drop of good red. I find the fruit juice blended reds to be a good stop-gap until my next trip out of the country.

So, in closing, I spend somewhat more than 150 THB, above the label price, for something better! wai2.gif

Which I think is logical for most wine drinkers who probably are not that interested in whether it's a vintage year for mulberry juice smile.png .

Newbie??? 55555 . . .

Luckily enough I have only had one or two problems with wines bought here which have been transported and stored improperly, and these had definitely been "cooked" at some point in transportation or storage.

I will say however that unless there is a dedicated storage space in which to keep wine cool/at a steady temperature, then one takes a risk. On that note, I remember pointing out to the manager of a certain well respected and upmarket small supermarket chain that I had seen a bottle of Cote Rotie standing upright on the shelves in their window for well over two years and that certainly would not be good for the wine, or for the consumer for that matter, especially for the price they wanted for it.

Needless to say it is still there.

Sure enough, you do take a bit of a chance, but so far I've been lucky. In addition, I have managed to buy some good wines from a company called "Best Cellar.Co" and they have a label on the back of the bottle saying that the wine has been stored at 15° C and I would hope that it would have been transported in a similar state. Never had a bad bottle from them, yet some of the wines I have bought have been over 10 years old.

Newbie??? 55555 . . .

Luckily enough I have only had one or two problems with wines bought here which have been transported and stored improperly, and these had definitely been "cooked" at some point in transportation or storage.

I will say however that unless there is a dedicated storage space in which to keep wine cool/at a steady temperature, then one takes a risk. On that note, I remember pointing out to the manager of a certain well respected and upmarket small supermarket chain that I had seen a bottle of Cote Rotie standing upright on the shelves in their window for well over two years and that certainly would not be good for the wine, or for the consumer for that matter, especially for the price they wanted for it.

Needless to say it is still there.

Sure enough, you do take a bit of a chance, but so far I've been lucky. In addition, I have managed to buy some good wines from a company called "Best Cellar.Co" and they have a label on the back of the bottle saying that the wine has been stored at 15° C and I would hope that it would have been transported in a similar state. Never had a bad bottle from them, yet some of the wines I have bought have been over 10 years old.

Thanks for that xylophone. I'll check out Best Cellar Co. when I get home.

It's not wine. They import the fruit juice so they can avoid the taxes and then turn it into an "alcoholic" beverage here. It's horrible stuff. Gives me a massive hangover. But then again, so does real red wine! LOL

http://www.bkkpsp.com/Cheap-Wines-In-Thailand.html

Are you sure with that fruit wine?

Because as no fruit is mentioned I would assume the fruit is grape. It might be just a language/law issue as every wine is "fruit wine"?

If they would add, say blueberry juice, they would have to label the blueberry....Beside that grape is already the cheapest thing you can get, any other fruit juice would be more expensive.

If you didn't read the link that craigt3365 attached

Fruit wine has an orange tax sticker on it. And it does say in very small writing on the back label, Fruit Wine

Unaltered wine has a blue sticker over the cap

I've tried the Mar Sol wines, not bad either

I had a closer look today at Friendship and EVERY wine and they have a lot in there, either boxed or bottled, had blue tax stamps. Definitely also plenty of wines that have fruit wine marked on the box.

Orange and green tax stamps were on the bottles of spirit.\

So clearly the writer of the article Craig linked to is another armchair expert.There are a lot of them on the internet.

Edited by Anthony5

• 4 months later...

In terms of trying to pick the best of a bad bunch from these boxes I've been told that 'Fina de Malpica' is OK, stocked at Makro and Rimping (in Chiang Mai). About 790 baht for 3-4 L IIRC. Actually went to buy some today but no stock :(

Also been told that Castle Creek is OK and I did see another one today called 'Fleur de Galetis', they have two reds and a rose. be interested to hear if anyone's tried them.

In terms of trying to pick the best of a bad bunch from these boxes I've been told that 'Fina de Malpica' is OK, stocked at Makro and Rimping (in Chiang Mai). About 790 baht for 3-4 L IIRC. Actually went to buy some today but no stock sad.png

Also been told that Castle Creek is OK and I did see another one today called 'Fleur de Galetis', they have two reds and a rose. be interested to hear if anyone's tried them.

All of those mentioned have fruit juice added........even the French one!!

Wine with fruit juice added now come from OZ, South Africa, Vietnam, France, Italy, Thailand (Mont Clair, Mar Y Sol, Fina de Malpica and a couple of others), USA, etc and the fruit juice is added at source and imported like that, or the grapes/grape juice are imported and "produced" with the addition of fruit juice in Thailand and Vietnam.

Best of a bad bunch.................everyone has their own view and I have tried Berri Estates red and can manage a couple of glasses, but that's about it otherwise a headache ensues.

@ Xylophone. Agreed pretty much. The wine boxes only of interest to me for those times when we want just a glass but not often. Even then I wonder if it's worth it.

I've tried Mont Clair often, being the house wine of choice in a lot of the bars when my girlfriend has ordered it. Seems to be not bad. But that maybe because by the time I've tried it I would have already had several beers or cocktails or both before doing so.

I bought some Fina di Malpicas. 799 for 4 L. Can't say I'm that impressed to be honest. Has a very harsh dry after taste with the first couple of mouthfuls when fresh out the cask which mellows only a little once it's aired. Something that you drink because it's there in the glass rather than because it's enjoyable. I actually think I prefer Mont Clair more. I'll have to try a glass of Mont Clair when we go to a place that uses it before I've had a few to make a direct comparison.

After the Malpicas I might try 2-3 more. Berri, Castle Creek and maybe Fleur de Galetis. If none of them turn out more palatable than Malpicas I'll give it up as a bad job, despite the convenience.

As to boxes in Thailand without added juice, from the pricing I've seen at all the places I've shopped I'm thinking non-diluted versions are thin on the ground.

Sent using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 29/08/2015 at 0:26 AM, Anthony5 said:

So fruit wine has a orange sticker and unaltered wine a blue sticker.

Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

The below product goes for 215 Bt/2.25 liter at frienship Pattaya and has clearly written on the box " based on wine". It's 10% alcohol and tastes fine.

Notice the blue sticker?

20150829_001147.jpg

It used to be the case.....

On 29/08/2015 at 11:23 PM, nidieunimaitre said:

Grape juice is juice, not wine.

If they add grape juice to wine, the result is 100% made from grapes.... but it is not wine, it is fruit wine.

Personally I do not care, as long as the result tastes good enough, and is not too expensive.

Legally speaking it is however unacceptable to call it wine.

That's why it is labelled as Fruit Wine. Sometimes it's in large print and on others it's very small fonts.  Importers being sneaky.....

On 06/09/2015 at 0:49 AM, Anthony5 said:

I had a closer look today at Friendship and EVERY wine and they have a lot in there, either boxed or bottled, had blue tax stamps. Definitely also plenty of wines that have fruit wine marked on the box.

Orange and green tax stamps were on the bottles of spirit.\

So clearly the writer of the article Craig linked to is another armchair expert.There are a lot of them on the internet.

Well Leo.  The blue / orange tax sticker tax issue was published / discussed in the Big Chilli Magazine years ago...

The government is renowned for changing things at the drop of a hat.....

6 minutes ago, Chalard said:

Well Leo.  The blue / orange tax sticker tax issue was published / discussed in the Big Chilli Magazine years ago...

The government is renowned for changing things at the drop of a hat.....

Thanks for sharing a 2 year old post about Pattaya. :partytime2:

On 2/27/2017 at 10:38 PM, Chalard said:

It used to be the case.....

Maybe, however it seems a little more confusing these days. From what I can gather (and this may be a change from what was originally intended), the blue sticker now applies to imported wines, whether they be mixed with fruit juice or not?

The example below shows Jacob's Creek, a bone fide grape wine imported from Australia with a blue sticker, and Belleville, which is made from grapes from Australia, blended with fruit juice and bottled in Vietnam, then imported into Thailand.

The orange sticker apparently still applies to those wines produced in Thailand. Having said that it is very difficult to find out exactly the case these days, so if anyone has more info, then I would appreciate knowing about it. Not that it would influence my purchasing decision, because I stay away from those wines which have had fruit juice added.

bellevile.jpg