TOT Upgrading to VDSL

PhotoJohn

This came from our condo's TOT technician in answer to my complaint about the unusually frequent service interruptions I've been having.

The tech said that the work they've been doing in this area (along Charoenrat Road, T Watket area) is the reason for the frequent disruptions. They're upgrading their system to VDSL, which he said will be about 10 times faster than the current ADSL.

He indicated that it would probably be about a month for the new system to be ready. We'll get new VDSL modems.

He couldn't give me any details about pricing or anything else.

I just hope its more reliable.

It should be more reliable if only because it will be a shorter distance and newer infrastructure.

ASDL2+ service can be run over a longer distance (18,000 ft; 5460 m) and deliver around 24 mb/s downstream speed, but that speed and reliability drops considerable as that distance is used up and numerous line integrity issues are encountered.

VDSL2 service can be run over a shorter distance (4,000 ft; 1,200 m) and deliver around 100 mb/s downstream. The shorter distance limitations require the ISP to position mini DLA-AM boxes nearer to a group of residences and feed that box with a high-speed backbone using Fiber Optic or Cable Broadband back to their central offices.

Don't know why their 'work' would cause you service interruptions, unless they 'cut you over' to the new infrastructure, but that would have only caused a single disruption (unless they had 'issues' and had to transfer you back until the rectified it and could try again).

Most likely they'll put Fiber Optic into the building and feed the subscribing residences with VDSL using wiring already in place.