Quickly= new solid router

THAIPHUKET

Got a very old Airport Express and which now goes through 2 walls or a floor easily. At my old place it was going through 4 walls, brick surfaced with concrete/Thai plaster.

To be clear, it is not a modem too, you need a modem + Airport Express if you connect to a phone line.

Got a very old Airport Express and which now goes through 2 walls or a floor easily. At my old place it was going through 4 walls, brick surfaced with concrete/Thai plaster.

To be clear, it is not a modem too, you need a modem + Airport Express if you connect to a phone line.

Is the Airport Express just a relayer-type thing to make signals stronger?

(Serious question).

(Serious question).

No it is a stand alone router with a Ethernet port where you would plug in a service providers modem (True & 3bb foe example) and create a wifi network - but it can also be set up as a stand alone repeater if you have another Airport Express or Extreme....

This is my setup... I have a AirPort Extreme in the first floor plugged into my True Internet router... Then an Airport Express on the second level just plugged into an electric outlet... The software easily created a dual network for me ;-)

(Serious question).

no, it is wifii device which connects to an Erthernet cable and provides wifii

it will also connect to printers ....see Apple for details

I seem to remember that a repeater cuts down the transmission speed substantially??

The standalone repeaters are crap for the most part...

A pair of Airport work differently as they have two frequencies (2.4 & 5.0ghz).... They can broadcast at say 2.4ghz and transfer data between themselves at 5.0ghz - and are software optimized to work like this...

Think of it like a one lane road verses a two way road...

If you are looking for a way to get a bigger range thru walks and such look into the extenders that use the houses electric wiring to communicate between the repeaters... But the best way would really be a ethernet wire from one area to another with separate wifi routers...

I seem to remember that a repeater cuts down the transmission speed substantially??

I have an Airport Extreme to cover the ground floor and an Airport Express as a repeater upstairs.

I don't see a difference in speed when I'm connected to either one of them.