Interested in the history / background of Isaan people

Kenny202

Why read a book when you can watch soapies?

Why study calculus when you can drink a beer?

Using your brain is hard work, chilling out is.enjoyable.

Go to AUA in Bangkok and study one of the thai course on Soapies and when you can understand the Thai slang and the soapies you too may enjoy them more than reading a book.

• 2 weeks later...

The who;e Border area from Sisaket/Surin/ Burirum up to roi et Kalasin Amnat and close to Mukdahan has been Part of Khmer ( Cambodia today ) thats why we got all the Khmer Temples there. In Sisakt is a bit outside a nice temple ( museum ) wit a tower wher they sho at each floor the tribes of Sisaket origin. Thats Suay / Yoe / Khmer and Lao NO Thai.

Every year, on the second weekend of March is the "Lamduan Festival", the flower's also part of Sisaket's emblem. A nice show with the four minority groups of former Sisaket .Suay - Yoe (Yhoe) - Khmer and Lao

But a while ago, it wasn't Sisaket that played a big role, it was Khukhan. Prior to a re-organization of Thailand for administrative and logistical reasons circa-1945, Khukhan was the Provincial capital and is still recognized as the historical center of Sisaket.

For those who like to read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khukhan_District

Not too many Thais know that the name Si Sa Ket comes from a Hindu language.I could teach my Thai wife from a village near Sisaket the history of her own province and country, which is really sad.

There's a little shrine like place near the train station, where a woman is washing her hair. That's what Sisaket means.

Srii was the name of the woman ( of course Hindu roots) Sa Ket means that "Sri' is washing her hair.

No idea how many "history teachers" at Sisaket schools have an idea about where the name Sisaket originates from.

And Sisaket is and always was the poorest province. But a nice one. wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Well, it's about face. Saying you have retained Isaan as a buffer zone, sounds a lot more positive than saying you lost or gave away most of Lao to the French.

One one occasion in a museum there was an exhibit which stated that democracy had been gifted to the people in 1932. That's a nice spin on a revolution.

Re aboriginals, it takes a lot more than 200 years to change skin pigmentation that developed over 50,000 years, and the reason the people in the north of Australia are darker is because they are in the tropics, and the people in the south are not. At this stage I will cease to discuss skin colour, as the subject bores me to tears.

Well, we shouldn't be bigots, i don't think that discussing skin colour should be taboo.

An old lady friend of mine from Udon, told me that her father was " Black Chinese " .... Anyone heard about that ?

Well, she was a normal colour to me, likely to become very dark if exposed to the sun... Anyway..

I was just googling " Black Chinese " and you can get some very interesting results from that research on wikipedia and other sites.

The who;e Border area from Sisaket/Surin/ Burirum up to roi et Kalasin Amnat and close to Mukdahan has been Part of Khmer ( Cambodia today ) thats why we got all the Khmer Temples there. In Sisakt is a bit outside a nice temple ( museum ) wit a tower wher they sho at each floor the tribes of Sisaket origin. Thats Suay / Yoe / Khmer and Lao NO Thai.

Every year, on the second weekend of March is the "Lamduan Festival", the flower's also part of Sisaket's emblem. A nice show with the four minority groups of former Sisaket .Suay - Yoe (Yhoe) - Khmer and Lao

But a while ago, it wasn't Sisaket that played a big role, it was Khukhan. Prior to a re-organization of Thailand for administrative and logistical reasons circa-1945, Khukhan was the Provincial capital and is still recognized as the historical center of Sisaket.

Not too many Thais know that the name Si Sa Ket comes from a Hindu language.I could teach my Thai wife from a village near Sisaket the history of her own province and country, which is really sad.

There's a little shrine like place near the train station, where a woman is washing her hair. That's what Sisaket means.

Srii was the name of the woman ( of course Hindu roots) Sa Ket means that "Sri' is washing her hair.

No idea how many "history teachers" at Sisaket schools have an idea about where the name Sisaket originates from.

The word "Sri", and the way is is spelt in Srissaket is and Los Thai word meaning beautiful.

Spell check did that I meant Negroid. To me it is not a nasty word forgive my ignorance if it is. Do you know anything about Isaan?

Can tell you're not from the US by your choice of words, nasty word?....hell no it's not. What I know comes from wife...

One of the neat things about going there is the folks don't know much about the world and don't really care. My lady at first didn't know there were blacks in the US. They know what's important to them. I have a laminated world map I show where I've been working last. She knows of other countries but not where they are in relationship to Thailand.

Don't really have the ambition to learn the history.

Not everyone is from the USof A

Nothing wrong with Negro as a word unless you come from the USA that segregated blacks from whites until only 50 years ago.

Why on earth have you no interest in the history of where you migrate to? Made for each other!

The word "Sri", and the way is is spelt in Srissaket is and Los Thai word meaning beautiful.

Thanks, didn't know that. Then it's a Sanskrit word?

So, then the meaning of Si, or Srisaket would be that the "beauty washes her hair"? ( Coming from a Thai teacher many years ago)

Cannot mean that as "Sri" is an adjective. Can you not remember the song " Sao sri u Pattaya" by Janet Keio? Beautiful girl in Pattaya.

There seems to be some confusion about hair too. Possibly coming from the word เกศ (meaning head or hair) when in actual fact the spelling in Srisaket is เกษ.

Also the word for wash, when referring to hair, which is สระ and not สะ.

I would think that the ศรี in front of Srisaket is being used as a sign of respect. That suffix can be added to names to show respect.

Edited by puchooay