Bangkok bombing: Warrants out for Thai woman, foreign man

webfact

Bangkok Bombing: Warrants Out for Thai Woman, Foreign Man
By Khaosod English

14410017201441002082l.jpg
Arrest warrants were issued this afternoon for 26-year-old Wanna Suansan, a Thai national; and an unidentified foreign man, a police sketch of which is at right. Images: Royal Thai Police

BANGKOK — Arrest warrants for a Thai woman and a foreign national suspected of involvement in the bomb attacks earlier this month were issued this afternoon following a second raid conducted in the capital’s Min Buri district.

After the arrest of a foreign man in Bangkok’s eastern suburbs and a raid on a second residence turned up a large quantity of bomb-making materials, a court this afternoon issued two new warrants for two more people suspected of involvement in the 17 Aug. Erawan Shrine bombing and another explosion at a riverside waterway the next day.

“We would like to ask owners of apartments, dorms or rental houses that have foreign residents whose appearances match these descriptions to immediately contact security officers, because these individuals may have materials that could be dangerous to the buildings and other residents,” Lt. Gen Prawuth Thawornsiri, police spokesman, said this afternoon in a televised address.

One warrant is for 26-year-old Wanna Suansan, 26, a Thai woman said to have lived in a Min Buri room raided Saturday night, where authorities said they found bomb-making materials, according to Prawuth. The other suspect is an unnamed man whose nationality has not been confirmed.

A photograph of what authorities said is Wanna’s national ID card, she is shown wearing hijab. The other suspect is an unnamed man whose nationality has not been confirmed, Prawuth said.

Forty soldiers and police officers converged on a Min Buri apartment building where they believe Wanna was staying. They discovered illegal materials including two bags of fertilizer, gunpowder, bolts, remote-controlled toys, electric bulbs and digital watches, according to Prawuth.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1441001720

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-31

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai police seek 2 new suspects in Bangkok bombing probe
NATTASUDA ANUSONDISAI, Associated Press
JOCELYN GECKER, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Thai police issued two new arrest warrants and released images Monday of more suspects, a Thai woman and a foreign man of unknown nationality, in the widening investigation into Bangkok's deadly bombing two weeks ago.

During a televised statement, police broadcast a photograph of the woman's Thai identification card showing a young woman in a black headscarf and a sketch of the man whose nationality was unknown.

The development came after police arrested a man from an apartment in Bangkok's outskirts on Saturday and seized bomb-making equipment that included detonators, ball bearings and a metal pipe believed to be a bomb casing.

More bomb-making materials were discovered in a second apartment during a raid Sunday in a nearby neighborhood, national police spokesman Prawuth Thavornsiri said Monday. He said the second apartment, in a neighborhood known as Min Buri, was rented by the Thai woman identified as Wanna Suansun and 26 years old.

Prawuth described what police found as "important bomb-making materials such as gunpowder, urea-based fertilizer which can be used as explosive powder when mixed with other substances, a remote-controlled car with its controller which can be used as a detonator, nuts and bolts, small light bulbs and digital watches," among other things.

The man, whose face is shown in a police sketch with short brown hair and a light beard and mustache, is believed to have lived in the apartment, said Prawuth, adding that his nationality was not known.

Arrest warrants were issued for both the woman and man on charges of possessing unauthorized explosives, Prawuth said.

Saturday's arrest marked the first possible breakthrough in the investigation into the Aug. 17 blast at the Erawan Shrine, which killed 20 people, more than half of whom were foreigners, and injured more than 120 others.

Much remains unknown about the suspect, including his nationality, his motive, his relationship to the alleged bombing network or if he was plotting an attack, Prawuth said, adding that another attack was "possible" because police found 10 detonators.

"We still have to work out the details," he said. "But we are very certain he's part of the network" that carried out the bombing.

On Sunday, Prawuth said police were working with "a number of embassies" and interpreters to try to establish the man's nationality, adding that he did not speak Thai but spoke some English.

Authorities have dodged questions about whether the suspect is believed to be Turkish, saying that he was traveling on a fake passport. Images circulated online after his arrest of a fake Turkish passport with the apparent suspect's picture.

The Turkish Embassy in Bangkok could not immediately be reached for comment. A Turkish government spokesman contacted over the weekend in Istanbul said he had no information on the suspect or any possible Turkish link to the attack.

The blast at the Erawan Shrine was unprecedented in the Thai capital, where smaller bombs have been employed in domestic political violence over the past decade, but not in an effort to cause large-scale casualties.

No one has claimed responsibility for the blast, sparking a variety of theories into who might be behind it.

Possible suspects include parties seeking to avenge Thailand's forced repatriation of ethnic Uighurs to China. Uighurs are related to Turks, and Turkey is home to a large Uighur community.

Other theories included Muslim separatists from southern Thailand, opponents of Thailand's military government and feuding factions within the security services.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-31

looks like its going in one direction now........if so this could be a huge game changer for thailand, the samui one was dismissed and hidden as a buiness conflict BUT many know what really went on there .... thailand elite tried to ignore their southern population, looks very much like they have come knocking at the big door...this could be a very long and serious BKK problem

Police seek warrants for the arrest of two more bomb suspects

9-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police have sought court warrants for the arrest of a man and a woman whose rented apartment room in Min buri were found to have stored bomb-making materials.

Pol Lt-Gen Prawut Thavornsiri, spokesman of the Royal National Police Office, raid a room at Maimuna apartment in Soi Rat-uthit 25/8 in Min Buri on Sunday and uncovered several bomb-making items which include urea fertilizer, remote-controlled toy cars, bolts and nuts, gun powder and electric bulbs which can be used as blasting caps.

He said that the room was rented out to Ms Wanna Suansant, 26, and another man whose name and nationality are not known. However, he added that police had asked the court to issue warrants for their arrest.

Meanwhile, Colonel Winthai Suvaree, spokesman of the National Council for Peace and Order, said that Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan had thanked the officials involved in investigating the bombing incidents for a job well done.

He added that Gen Prawit wanted to officials involved to proceed with the case in caution and to collect all the information pertaining to the case so it could be used as a model for the development of preventive measures.

Colonel Winthai said further that the NCPO had expressed its appreciation to member of the public who offered tip-offs to the officials which were helpful in the investigation.

In the meantime, he warned the media to exercise caution in their news presentation in a way not to cause public panic or confusion.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-seek-warrants-for-the-arrest-of-two-more-bomb-suspects

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-31

I understood this was an international gang.

'no Thais would ever be involved in this'

I still reckon there's some way to go to explain why this occurred and who funded this.

I'm not buying the attempt to kill Chinese at a Hindu shrine in downtown Bangkok. After all how could anyone plan for the number of Chinese there to be present. They might just as well have been Indians or Thai's.

I have a theory, a certain person outside the country funded a radical group to embarrass the government and destroy the tourist industry. Using cut outs to find and pay them.

BTW I understood the police were already paid to do their jobs, sharing 3 million of reward money with themselves beggars belief?

Edited by Charlie Croker

I think that the BIB are pretty clueless at what is really going on and who are the real culprits

behind this bombing, the issue ' warrants ' to show the public that they're on top of the

situation, lot more water will flow into the Mekong river before they will really solve it

if ever....

It would have been easier to lay in wait until she was home and then raid her apartment. Closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. Completely inept. But maybe there's no need to catch her. After all, a Thai wouldn't do such a thing.

What colour is her hair? How the hell can u let someone take a picture for an ID card with a headress on?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it is black.

But honestly. Would I be allowed to wear a Yankees cap because baseball is my religion.

It is an absolutely perfect example of govt or someone caving into to ridiculous sensibilities that cause a problem. Why does a govt allow people to do this on a national ID card.

At least she didn't have a full face hijab on

I am really sick of this plague on the world that seems to under the banner of Muslim. Every day nearly every hour theres something reported about these extremists and now Europe seems to being invaded by migrants from this faith. I now fear for my children and their children's future under the banner of Islam .

P.S. mods if needs be delete this as I am just speaking my mind I don't mean to be offensive to others.

Its because these extremists can't assimilate but want to annihilate. This is seen all around the world. Not blaming the faith of Islam but those who are using this as an excuse. Before those people think I am deforming the religion, I am not. The Christians did the same from the 11th century onwards.

What I found when travelling this globe, due to the job I had, that it is us that fail to assimilate when confronted with different cultures and nations. A process going on for centuries where European and for the last century American culture is forced onto nations that if left alone might have developed their own way on the path to democracy.

What colour is her hair? How the hell can u let someone take a picture for an ID card with a headress on?

But honestly. Would I be allowed to wear a Yankees cap because baseball is my religion.

It is an absolutely perfect example of govt or someone caving into to ridiculous sensibilities that cause a problem. Why does a govt allow people to do this on a national ID card.

In my country they can

in the US they can

http://islam.about.com/od/dress/f/hijab_id.htm

Im not sure I agree with it but it happens all over the world. (haven't made my mind up about it)

In my country they can

in the US they can

http://islam.about.com/od/dress/f/hijab_id.htm

Im not sure I agree with it but it happens all over the world. (haven't made my mind up about it)

Bonkers. It's a national ID card. It should be full face no head covers and distinguishing marks declared. It's not a Facebook pic

I am really sick of this plague on the world that seems to under the banner of Muslim. Every day nearly every hour theres something reported about these extremists and now Europe seems to being invaded by migrants from this faith. I now fear for my children and their children's future under the banner of Islam .

P.S. mods if needs be delete this as I am just speaking my mind I don't mean to be offensive to others.

It is sad that us who want to express our fear of valid threat need to worry if our voices are censored.

Blond, definitely!

The irony of your statement mimics the stupidity of Thailand. There are actually blonde hair blue eyed Uighur living just a hop skip and a jump from Kyrgyzstan.

Do they note eye colour on thai ID cards. Next you will tell me that all Thais have black or dark brown eyes. Please note, my kids are Thai too.....

I will bet a considerable amount that this is yet another Islamic Terrorist cell. This has nothing to do with Thailand as such. The game in the Western countries has become more difficult. As a result they now seek out softer targets, places unused to international terrorism. We will see many more of such acts. The aim is to kill Westerners, that's all. Collateral damage amongst the local population will be accepted.

I should be used to knee jerk comments on Thai Visa, but I'm not. Let the police do their job, however competently they can, progress is being made.

Having been involved with many similar enquiries in a previous life, I know that success will come from painstaking police effort, cooperation from the population, careful analysis of information and the results of enquiries, and some luck. This is not a 30 minute American TV cop drama.

I know that won't stop you complaining and ridiculing, but that's the way it goes!

I will bet a considerable amount that this is yet another Islamic Terrorist cell. This has nothing to do with Thailand as such. The game in the Western countries has become more difficult. As a result they now seek out softer targets, places unused to international terrorism. We will see many more of such acts. The aim is to kill Westerners, that's all. Collateral damage amongst the local population will be accepted.

They appear to have targeted foreign visitors who aren't westerners in this case.

They appear to have targeted foreign visitors who aren't westerners in this case.

Yes, that is a key clue. Had westerners been the target, they could have easily shifted the bomb 30 meters to the Amarin Plaza and gotten many in one whack, or even more in places like Asok, etc....