Thai Air Force officer slightly wounded in US shooting

webfact

BUNGLED THEFT
Air Force officer slightly wounded

Story : The Nation//Video : NBC Bay Area August 31, 2015 4:46 pm

SAN FRANCISCO: -- The Royal Thai Air Force on Monday confirmed that one of its officers attending a joint military exercise in the US was injured in a shooting in a popular San Francisco tourist destination last week, which was followed by a car chase.

Two men were in detention for allegedly trying to rob the officer.

The Air Force did not name the officer, saying he was among a group of 45 personnel travelling to join the Red Flag Alaska in Alaska State between August 6 and 23. Accompanying them was a C130 aircraft.

The shooting happened on August 25 as the group and the aircraft stopped over in San Francisco on their way back to Thailand. The crew took opportunity to visit the city. The Thai Air Force said that during their sighseeing trip, a man snatched a camera of an Thai officer and ran away. The officer was chasing the robber when another suspect shot from a waiting car and the bullet hit his arm.

The victim was treated at a hospital and returned to Thailand with the team. They are scheduled to arrive in Bangkok on September 1.

The Thai Air Force also dismissed reports on social networking sites which criticised it of wasting a lot of money by sending officers and the C130 aircraft for pleasure in the US. It warned those who posted such groundless reports in the sites to stop doing or face legal action.

NBC Bay Area online reported on August 25 that two suspects had been arrested Tuesday following a shooting. The report said the arrest was made after the two suspects sped away from the shooting scene toward the freeway. San Francisco police pursued the suspects over the Bay Bridge with the assistance of the California Highway Patrol.

The website reported that they eventually got off the freeway and one of the suspects was taken into custody after the driver crashed in the 1000 block of 60th Street in Oakland. Streets were shut down in the area, near the Emeryville border, while police from multiple agencies searched for about three hours. The second suspect was later arrested.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Air-Force-officer-slightly-wounded-30267819.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-31

The Thai Air Force also dismissed reports on social networking sites which criticised it of wasting a lot of money by sending officers and the C130 aircraft for pleasure in the US. It warned those who posted such groundless reports in the sites to stop doing or face legal action.

Its official now : You are no longer allowed to have your own opinion about what is a waste of Money ...

Please remember that when they buy 3 submarines ... facepalm.gif

A good lesson for the Thai public about how police really operate - I hope they notice the perpetrators were quickly apprehended, arrested, and will stay in jail until they can post significant bail (because the crime involved a gun) or get released on OR (will take considerable time, and the violent nature of the crime makes it very unlikely they can ask for release without bond). Also, another lesson for the Thai politicians, is how to handle the fallout from crime against tourists. http://kron4.com/2015/08/26/san-francisco-men-who-shot-tourist-have-been-identified/

BTW - this story is a little old, as the shooting occurred on Tuesday, last week.

Edited by zaphod reborn

Its official now : You are no longer allowed to have your own opinion about what is a waste of Money ...

Is it allowed to post that it is immoral to train with the USA?

Air Force officer shot in bungled theft in US
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE ROYAL Thai Air Force confirmed yesterday that one of its officers attending a joint military exercise in the US had been injured in a San Francisco shooting last week, which was followed by a car chase. Two men have been arrested for allegedly trying to rob the officer.

Though the officer was not named, the Air Force said he was part of a 45-strong group that had travelled to participate in the Red Flag - Alaska, a 10-day air combat exercise held from August 6 to 23. A C-130 aircraft had also been taken for the exercises.

The shooting took place on August 25 as the group stopped over in San Francisco on their way back home. The Air Force said that while the group was checking out the sights in San Francisco, a man snatched the camera of the officer and ran away.

The officer began chasing the robber when another suspect shot at him from a waiting car, hitting him in the arm.

The victim has undergone treatment and is scheduled to return to Bangkok with the rest of the team today.

The Air Force has been attacked on social media, with people saying it wasting money sending officers and C-130 aircraft to the US on a pleasure trip. However, it has dismissed the reports and warned those posting "such groundless reports" of legal action.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Air-Force-officer-shot-in-bungled-theft-in-US-30267846.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-01

Red Flag is one of the best training exercises for combat aircraft. Probably the best in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Flag_%E2%80%93_Alaska

It's serious stuff. With many nations around the world participating. The one at Nellis is the premier event. I've met the pilots and they are top notch. No messing around. Highly trained.

Sounds like a pretty big expense for Thai officers to be hanging out at a gay pride event in San Francisco. Two perps have been charged with attempted murder. I'll bet they aren't from Burma.

Just proving the claim that social networkers are posting posting false and defamatory accusations?

It's serious stuff. With many nations around the world participating. The one at Nellis is the premier event. I've met the pilots and they are top notch. No messing around. Highly trained.

ambiguouse, you have met the 'Thai Pilots' and they are highly trained, among the best, top notch, etc...?

I bet it was all on the USA taxpayers bin. Not a dime did it cost Thailand. Waste of money it well may have been, except not Thai money.

ambiguouse, you have met the 'Thai Pilots' and they are highly trained, among the best, top notch, etc...?

Many Thai pilots are highly trained. You don't get to participate in this event if you are not good. It's serious stuff. I use to work at Nellis and met many pilots there. That was many years ago, so don't remember all the nationalities. I worked at the officer's club on base.

Sounds like a pretty big expense for Thai officers to be hanging out at a gay pride event in San Francisco. Two perps have been charged with attempted murder. I'll bet they aren't from Burma.

I am sure that Donald Trump would love to claim that they are Mexicans.

Good luck with that when the comments come from people outside thailand !

Do you have ANY idea what the trip to the USA was all about?

They were on a joint US/Thai exercise in Alaska and were on the way back to Thailand and had a stopover.

That is normal for ANY flight crews. They are only allowed to fly a certain number of hours per day.

I don't know of any Hercules that can fly non stop from Alaska to Thailand with a single crew.

Were the reports groundless? Of course they were but it hasn't stopped people using the "social media" to disparage the government, much like you are doing here.

Their Country, Their Rules...............I Obey

They were on a joint US/Thai exercise in Alaska and were on the way back to Thailand and had a stopover.

That is normal for ANY flight crews. They are only allowed to fly a certain number of hours per day.

I don't know of any Hercules that can fly non stop from Alaska to Thailand with a single crew.

Were the reports groundless? Of course they were but it hasn't stopped people using the "social media" to disparage the government, much like you are doing here.

"disparage the government" heaven forbid! they should "stop doing so of face legal action" no more "it's a waste of money" no more opinions allowed in Thailand and YOU support this and no doubt you support it in your own country?

"disparage the government" heaven forbid! they should "stop doing so of face legal action" no more "it's a waste of money" no more opinions allowed in Thailand and YOU support this and no doubt you support it in your own country?

I can understand why you would object to any measures stopping people writing blatant lies on social media.

Red Flag is one of the best training exercises for combat aircraft. Probably the best in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Flag_%E2%80%93_Alaska

Indeed. I understand that it is the pinnacle of training for the fast jet community - with a highly skilled "opforce" who mimic Russian sorry "Fantasian" tactics. Wall to wall brylcream and Kelly McGillis lookalikes prancing all over the place on white stallions. (sorry about that - as a lowly infantryman I get carried away by the Gods of Thunder).

This does rather raise the question as to what part in the proceedings was played by an early model C130 stooging about filled to the brim with RTAF officers?

The US have their own Burmese by proxy...

Where did YOU find the bit in my post that I supported or was against it? I couldn't find it and I wrote it.

What I am talking about if you could read and comprehend is that the social media and yourself included don't read the post correctly in the first place and start off with the wrong idea.

Do YOU think it is a bad idea that the US and Thai forces should work together in the USA? After all they work together on the Cobra Gold exercises in Thailand most years so why not in the USA?