Bangkok bombing: 24 officers 'transferred' over misconduct

webfact

Bangkok Bombing: 24 Officers ‘Transferred’ over Misconduct
By Khaosod english

BANGKOK — Eighteen police officers in the capital and six immigration officers in the northeast of Thailand have been transferred to inactive posts for alleged wrongdoing related to the deadly bombing of the Erawan Shrine earlier this month.

The 18 cops were transferred to inactive posts for falsely claiming they had thoroughly conducted searches in jurisdictions where bomb materials and a suspect were later discovered, while the immigration officials were assigned to a border crossing possibly used by at least one of the suspects to enter the kingdom.

In Bangkok, the officers were transferred for failing to follow an order from police central command to carry out searches of property and “suspicious foreigners” in the wake of the 17 Aug. attack. Responding to the order, police in Min Buri and Nong Chok districts had sent back all-clear reports, indicating no foreigners or bomb-making materials had been found.

Yet police and military on Saturday and Sunday raids discovered detonators, ball bearings, gunpowder, metal pipes, chemicals and fertilizers in apartment buildings located within those districts. They also arrested a suspect.

The 18 officers include deputy commander of Bangkok’s Division 3 command, superintendent of Min Buri police station and superintendent of Nong Chok police station. Ten senior officers of the two stations were among those ordered to report to Bangkok police headquarters and await further “investigation,” according to police.

Full story http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1441089796

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-09-01

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The good part about being transferred to an "inactive" posts would be they can sit on their freckles all day. The not so good

part for them is that they will probably be removed from any tea money distribution lists.

The good part about being transferred to an "inactive" posts would be they can sit on their freckles all day. The not so good

part for them is that they will probably be removed from any tea money distribution lists.

I thin that's the whole point. Inactive posts have no access to tea money. They sit at a desk in an empty office all day and play with paper.

I think you will find that being transferred to inactive positions is a pretext to being fired soon after. They get a hearing first which is why they are never fired straight away. It is the same as being suspended with pay in the west, onl;y difference is that they still have to report to workk in Thailand where in the west they are allowed to stay at home.

Edited by Brewster67

Good to see some steps to promote accountability.

Rubbish!

Were they given a tip-off from a landlord? Were they expected to search how many hundred thousand homes?

They are scapegoats. In this instance, I sympathise with the police that have been transferred. And the Immigration officers!!? Really...they think a suspect may have gone through that border... Utter rubbish.

I think you will find that being transferred to inactive positions is a pretext to being fired soon after. They get a hearing first which is why they are never fired straight away. It is the same as being suspended with pay in the west, onl;y difference is that they still have to report to workk in Thailand where in the west they are allowed to stay at home.

Mostly true but here's another twist of these arrangements:

- Just after the coup one very senior cop lives near me, very big house, was suddenly at home 24/7.

- He had a private (non-police) staff of 11. His non-police staff used police vehicles to do their 'errands', mostly from his house.

- Turns out he was ordered to not leave his house for any reason 24/7 and prohibited to have any form of contact with police or anybody, and prohibited to have / use any form of phone or radio owned by him or anybody.

- His private staff now never see.

- Now in jail, sentenced to 12 years.

Edited by scorecard

Rubbish!

Were they given a tip-off from a landlord? Were they expected to search how many hundred thousand homes?

They are scapegoats. In this instance, I sympathise with the police that have been transferred. And the Immigration officers!!? Really...they think a suspect may have gone through that border... Utter rubbish.

Well maybe there's history involved here.

Without any love lost to the RTP, this transferring officers to inactive positions for the reasons given is harsh to say the least.

They would still be carrying out house-to-house searches today if the orders were to be followed in full. Then it would likely be an inactive post anyway for not completing on time.

When people are under pressure to provide results in given time frames, corners are cut.

Rubbish!

Spot on. They are in full damage control mode now.

Rubbish!

at last some common sense Thailand is turning into a scapegoat society with everyone fearful of the Army bludgeon

Edited by LannaGuy

One (of many) thing that has stood out throughout this entire episode has been the lack of evidence displayed in front of the media. This to me, is against regular routine, in that the majority of successful busts leading to recovered items are on display to the media sometimes it seems before they have even been indexed.

A couple of photographs have been released and that is that.

I would be interested in seeing the C4, TNT and other chemical substances that have been claimed, as well as physical sighting of the detonators, etc.

At the other end of the table to the explosives of course.......................wink.png

However, if doing so would impede further investigation, then carry on and get the job finished. Just seems 'out-of-the-norm', that's all.

One (of many) thing that has stood out throughout this entire episode has been the lack of evidence displayed in front of the media. This to me, is against regular routine, in that the majority of successful busts leading to recovered items are on display to the media sometimes it seems before they have even been indexed.

A couple of photographs have been released and that is that.

I would be interested in seeing the C4, TNT and other chemical substances that have been claimed, as well as physical sighting of the detonators, etc.

At the other end of the table to the explosives of course.......................wink.png

However, if doing so would impede further investigation, then carry on and get the job finished. Just seems 'out-of-the-norm', that's all.

You wanted to see it all lined up on a table in front of him (all the seized evidence) and 20 cops mugging like jack-asses in the background, yes, it is strange this hasn''t yet happened, the cops do like their photo-ops.

Rubbish!

WHAT? You mean this kind of no nonsense swift penalizing for corrupt behavior doesn't immediately create a sense of security in you. ................. Such a hopeless cynic! wai2.gif

Rubbish!

The suspect allegedly told police he used that crossing, including paying 18,000 baht to get through with his dodgy passport.

It would be reassuring that things may improve if you could believe this in it's entirety , however there is simply zero credibility with regard anything the RTP do or say.

I also have my doubts as to the current suspect having anything to do with the bombing. A villain no doubt but a bomber, ? The failing lack luster constabulary simply needs a result and as seen on many previous occasions, they are not shy at manipulating one.

Suspended with salary intact, meaning diddly squat.

Inactive posts are out side the stream of " real money "

that makes or breaks a policemans life.

Edited by animatic

Good - action must be taken against BiB shirking their duties. That area has a large Muslim population and of course was predominantly Red Shirt. The police have in the past been politically affiliated with the Red Shirt (man in Dubai) cause, so it would not be a surprise if they ignored the Govt's instructions.

I hope they get their come-uppance because if they won't try to protect the population they deserve to be prosecuted