Suthep urges supporters to vote for draft charter

webfact

REFERENDUM
Suthep urges supporters to vote for draft charter

Wasamon Audjarint
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The charter draft is good enough for people to vote in its favour in the expected referendum, former politician Suthep Thaugsuban said today in his capacity as president of the People's Democratic Reform Foundation (PDRF).

The draft's content should be able to drive five reforms as earlier expected by the "great mass of people", Suthep said, in an apparent reference to supporters of the foundation. The expected reforms cover politics, corruption, the bureaucratic system, economic and social structures and the police. However, he expected the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to elaborate further the legislature with regard to police reform.

Claiming to speak on behalf of the "great mass of people", Suthep underlined his support for the expected National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Council (NSRRC), making note of its capability in driving the government in time of crisis. He added that he has seen lives sacrificed in political conflicts and sincerely hoped that this would never happen again.

Asked why he put his faith to the NSRRC, he said that the draft made it clear the council would be made up of high-ranking officers, for example the ex-premier and the president of the Supreme Court, which would guarantee its efficiency. Moreover, the NSRRC would have to consult with MPs and senators prior to exercising its special authority.

As of now, he added, the PDRF has not taken any initiative on the referendum campaign.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Suthep-urges-supporters-to-vote-for-draft-charter-30267888.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-01

'Asked why he put his faith to the NSRRC, he said that the draft made it clear the council would be made up of high-ranking officers, for example the ex-premier and the president of the Supreme Court, which would guarantee its efficiency. Moreover, the NSRRC would have to consult with MPs and senators prior to exercising its special authority'

Oh goody that's alright then no chance of any corruption, nepotism or cronyism there then, that's a relief and I am so glad he left the monkhood to give us these insights.....

Edited by mark131v

I thought campaigning on this issue was banned? Ahh, it's ok if you're the junta's mouth piece lap dog though,

This will go further into creating division, not solving it.

It's so utterly shameless, isn't it? But then, creating further division could be all part of the plan: 'Nobody is more desperate for elections than us, but alas conditions in the country prohibit it' (and will be kept that way until after the event, or until everything is legally in our hands regardless of the 'government' in power).

I thought campaigning on this issue was banned? Ahh, it's ok if you're the junta's mouth piece lap dog though,

It's so utterly shameless, isn't it? But then, creating further division could be all part of the plan: 'Nobody is more desperate for elections than us, but alas conditions in the country prohibit it' (and will be kept that way until after the event, or until everything is legally in our hands regardless of the 'government' in power).

Spot on. They can't hoodwink everyone forever though. The longer they hold this off the more likely that there will be upheaval.

Spot on. They can't hoodwink everyone forever though. The longer they hold this off the more likely that there will be upheaval.

Just my opinion, but I don't think they are hoodwinking that many people other than a few diehards on here. I think the lid is being kept on by pure and simple suppression.

"president of the People's Democratic Reform Foundation (PDRF)"

Again

The good folks from the Anti-Democrat Party and their soul brothers on that side of the political divide segmenting themselves. Creating all sorts of entities when in effect they are all comprised of the same faces.

Little do they realize, just attaching themselves to the promotion of this charter, these people will do more damage to their cause than a zillion attacks on the charter from the other side. What should really be a death-knell if Abhisit joins Suthep in lauding this thing....... They don't need to say anything....... Just tie-ing their star to it, will send a huge adverse message to the electoral majority who have continually turfed them at election time.

This article is a case-in-point......Suthep's pronouncements don't sway anyone who hasn't already been swayed. They simply prompt an uptick and more fierce response from all others.

Never mind...Interesting times for us inconsequential Farang political junkies.

Edited by Blackfalds

Just my opinion, but I don't think they are hoodwinking that many people other than a few diehards on here. I think the lid is being kept on by pure and simple suppression.

Out of likes today, but like like like to the above posts.

"president of the People's Democratic Reform Foundation (PDRF)"

Again

The good folks from the Anti-Democrat Party and their soul brothers on that side of the political divide segmenting themselves. Creating all sorts of entities when in effect they are all comprised of the same faces.

Little do they realize, just attaching themselves to the promotion of this charter, these people will do more damage to their cause than a zillion attacks on the charter from the other side. What should really be a death-knell if Abhisit joins Suthep in lauding this thing....... They don't need to say anything....... Just tie-ing their star to it, will send a huge adverse message to the electoral majority who have continually turfed them at election time.

Never mind...Interesting times for us inconsequential Farang political junkies.

I still hold out a little bit of hope that the wishy washy Mark of the Dems is not quite as awful as Suthep and will not suck khaki c##k quite as willingly, I could be wrong though.

"Claiming to speak on behalf of the "great mass of people""

555555. He has not an ounce of shame in him.

And puhleeze no " but, but, but...Thaksin!" replies. This is about Suthep, not the bogeyman in Dubai.

I think he can see an easier route to power by rejecting the Draft, later with support claiming an appointed role governing Thailand, as he expressed before during the Protests.

So the Dem Party is imploding and like the illegal land deals in '95 which caused Chuan to dissolve parliment; Suthep did it again. He now ignoring Ahbisit and even his PDRC co-leader Thavom who spoke against the draft. He was even quoted to say that half the PDRC is not with the Dem Party. This bloke is trouble and time for the Dem to disassociate with him for their own good. Then again his south influence and financial support may be too large to be ignored. Any which way, Dem Party is toast in next election.

In 2010 a certain general showed what he was prepared to to do with those elements of the army which he could trust.

An awful lot of people remember and understand that he and his backers were sending a clear and unambiguous warning, they will go to any lengths to maintain their grip on the levers of power.

That is what is keeping the lid on.

"Claiming to speak on behalf of the "great mass of people""

555555. He has not an ounce of shame in him.

And puhleeze no " but, but, but...Thaksin!" replies. This is about Suthep, not the bogeyman in Dubai.

The man who sent his minions to violently disrupt an election claims to speak on behalf of the "great mass of people". Shameless doesn't begin to describe this <deleted>.

Does anyone know if it is true that there are more Thai general officers than Americsan general officers?

"If the Lord did not want them shorn, he would not have made them sheep." Calavera, The Magnificent Seven.

"The Thai military has more than 1,750 flag officers (generals and admirals), a bloated number for a military of its size.[6] By comparison, the US military as of April 2011 had 964 flag officers for a force several times the size of Thailand's.[7]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Armed_Forces

NEW CHARTER
Vote for draft charter, Suthep urges

WASAMON AUDJARINT,
KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN
THE NATION

30267937-01_big.jpg?1441141260780
Suthep Thaugsuban

Claims it will drive country forward, downplay's Democrat Party's opposition

BANGKOK: -- PEOPLE should vote "yes" to the draft charter in the upcoming referendum, Suthep Thaugsuban, president of People's Democratic Reform Foundation (PDRF), told the press yesterday.

Suthep, who had led the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) protest to oust the Yingluck Shinawatra government, said the draft should be able to drive five key reforms put forward by the "great mass of people". He was referring to the PDRC, which has now morphed into the PDRF.

The areas the PDRC wanted reformed were politics, corruption, bureaucracy, economy and social structure, as well as police, though Suthep said he expected the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to come up with legislation on police reform.

Claiming to be speaking on behalf of the "great mass", Suthep said he backed the inclusion of the controversial National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Council (NSRRC), which would have authority to take over administration in times of crisis.

He said he has seen lives sacrificed in previous political conflicts, and did not wish to see history repeat itself.

When asked why he had so much faith in the NSRRC, Suthep explained that the body would be made up of high-ranking officials, like a former premier and former Supreme Court president, who could guarantee it worked efficiently. Moreover, he pointed out, when time comes for the NSRRC to exercise its special authority, it would have to consult MPs and senators first.

He said the PDRF did not have any initiatives for the referendum campaign yet. Suthep also played down the Democrat Party's opposition to the draft charter, saying that more than half of the PDRC members had never voted for the Democrats. He was previously the party's secretary-general.

Former Democrat MP Tankhun Jitissara, also previously a key member of the PDRC, said he agreed with Suthep, adding that there was a cost to everything. However, he voiced concern about the NSRRC having absolute power over the executive and legislative branches, saying it could make mistakes if it was not impartial, which could lead to another round of political crisis.

For instance, he said, if the NSRRC proposed a blanket amnesty bill to achieve reconciliation, it could give rise to dissatisfaction. The last government tried to issue a blanket amnesty bill back in 2013, which eventually lead to its ouster. Tankhun pointed out that the resulting crisis could be even worse and drag NSRRC members, most of who will be high-ranking officials and members of the junta, into the conflict.

Meanwhile, red-shirt leader Weng Tojirakarn queried yesterday why Suthep was allowed to speak to the press, but other political groups were not.

Weng reminded the NCPO that it was only fair that other organisations be allowed to speak freely on politics, after Suthep was allowed to do this in his capacity as PDRF chairman. He also said people should also be allowed to express their opinion about the draft charter freely. "The NCPO should be held responsible if there are double standards in this regard," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Vote-for-draft-charter-Suthep-urges-30267937.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-02

I suppose the press asked him a question and answered it, he is fully entitled to have an opinion, I see no foul there, so are the red leaders, they can say they don't agree with it but that is not campaigning - it is a simple opinion that is all

I suppose the press asked him a question and answered it, he is fully entitled to have an opinion, I see no foul there, so are the red leaders, they can say they don't agree with it but that is not campaigning - it is a simple opinion that is all

But WHERE did the press ask him the question; at a press conference, perhaps? That would make it campaigning in my book..

NEW CHARTER

Vote for draft charter, Suthep urges

WASAMON AUDJARINT,

KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN

THE NATION

30267937-01_big.jpg?1441141260780

Suthep Thaugsuban

When asked why he had so much faith in the NSRRC, Suthep explained that the body would be made up of high-ranking officials, like a former premier and former Supreme Court president, who could guarantee it worked efficiently.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Vote-for-draft-charter-Suthep-urges-30267937.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-09-02

Yep, guaranteed!!

In related news,... Redshirt Leader Vows to Defy Charter Campaign Ban whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif

in the footsteps of the Yellowshirt Leader who ACTUALLY did Defy the Charter Campaign Ban

now let's see if they are treated equally (don't hold your breath) wai.gif

Edited by LannaGuy

In 2010 a certain general showed what he was prepared to to do with those elements of the army which he could trust.

That is what is keeping the lid on

(JAG, Post #19 above)

You may be right.

I would argue however that 'force of arms' is not the primary reason for this. Nobody is talking about guns 'n such.

It is their ability to incarcerate people on a whim.

Their is no appetite for confronting a trained military. Especially from membership of the UDD, which is approximately 80% Female, never mind a political organization like the PTP. Anyone who suggests otherwise is seeking to demonize them with self-serving ulterior motives.

But their ability to apprehend, arrest and detain indefinitely that cuts across all sectors of civilian society, with a judiciary in their pocket......Mothers, old people, students, you name them....That is where their real power lies.

Edited by Blackfalds