A screaming bargain...or not...advice needed regarding buying an unfinished house

My girl recently started a new job. One of her work colleagues put her on to a house that is for sale. In fact it is directly across the road from the house of the colleague but the owner is not related.

It is in a good spot, 5 minutes from a lovely west coast beach, but on the side of a mountain so no tsunami risk.

It is in a newish small thai style mooban. It is positioned off a main bitumen road on a small soi that is currently dirt and stone but well accessible.

The block is about half a rai. Full chanote and the land marked out with both chanote pegs on the ground and also cement square posts.

Good drainage, nice view, tidy and quiet mooban.

The land is at the top of a little rise so no flooding issues, it has a retaining wall along the lower side and has been backfilled level.

Looking at the front of the block there is an established neighbouring house to the left, and to the right another similiar sized vacant block (also with chanote markers)

There is a house already built on the block. It has been completed to....lets say...lock up stage. Simple two bedroom with kitchen. Bones appear ok, good slab, rendering done, but windows and doors need attention and no tiling. Tiled roof with steel trusses. Built about a year ago so no visible problems with water intrusion, cracked render or truss corrosion. All neigbouring properties have water and electricity connected. There are cables to a power pole sitting right in front of the property, but the supply is not connected to the house and there is no meter. The water is not connected also.

The offered price is 500KTHB (negotiable)

The owner has provided me with a copy of the chanote and I will take it to the local land office and check for any problems or encumbrances.

If I buy the property I intend to register the chanote in the name of my girlfriend and have a usufruct placed on the chanote.

To assist me with my due dilligence, I would be very grateful if anyone could can shed light upon the following issues:

1. Tabien ban. How can I check that the new house build has been registered/approved. If the owner can also produce a copy of a Tabien ban, is that sufficient to prove that the plans for the house were registered/approved?
  2. If no Tabien ban exists, how, and where do I go, to check if the house build has been registered/approved.
  3. Can approval of a dwelling be obtained after it has been built? If so how (and how much)?
  4. I have read that PEA will only connect the power to a dwelling that has a Tabien ban. Is that correct?
  5. I plan to buy the house, and the girlfriend can own the land (with a life usufruct stamped on it for me), but what is required to set that up? That is, do I have both a contract for the sale of the house and also a contract for the sale of the land drawn up?

Please don't post:

• rent dont buy
  • if it seems to good to be true it probably is
  • never invest more than you can lose
  • etc...

500K THB is peanuts. The house would be a good little project for me to tinker with and when completed we can rent it out, or have it as a "spare room" for when friends and family visit.

If anyone can provide me with a step by step guide on how to move forward it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically, you have read some scary stories off this site, Its your choice as you know you will never own it, check the chanut to see if any money has been borrowed on the land, it will be written on the back, you have to go to the ampher, your girlfriend should know where the local one is, You just go with the seller to the amphur and get the Chanut changed to your name , they pay the cost, when its signed over to you, then pay them.

I watched a beautiful house being built awhile back. Great layout. Then when they finished it they painted it with nice colors. tiles and were in the process of filling in the garden. The. the mountain gave way and wiped it out..........after some very heavy rain.

Sounds like a great deal!

Not sure how things are handled in your area...but the land office where properties are transfered should be your main stop to investigate....not only the chanote....but also if the building has permits and approval.

If no permits...should be able to get retroactive approval (I did when I built beyond the scope of the approved plans)

Again...sounds like a great deal...definitely worth pursuing

Half a mill for half a rai with an (almost) 2-bedroom new-build house?

Where on earth...?

Sounds as though you really want this place and take advise the the experienced on TV and go for it. As you say a nice project for you also and not a huge investment.

Good luck and can understand your enthusiasm.

Not sure how things are handled in your area...but the land office where properties are transfered should be your main stop to investigate....not only the chanote....but also if the building has permits and approval.

If no permits...should be able to get retroactive approval (I did when I built beyond the scope of the approved plans)

Thanks everyone for the input.

Thongkorn, the property is... how should I put it...in the hinterland...and on a small rise. No landslide issue whatsoever and no flooding issues either. It is on the highside of the street and the block has had extra fill added already. The moo ban is small, clean and very quiet...save a few obligatory dogs. It is basically a few house on a gravel road that runs back up into the mountain from a main bitumen road.

Please keep in mind this is no farang mcmansion. It is just a block and cement render two bedroom Thai working class home and a square block in a nice green location about five minutes ride from the beach.

I too think that it is a bargain, but am well aware of the "if it seems to good to be true" axiom.

As a rental property, renting to a Thai family, I would get about 3.5 to 4K per month. And so would realise an income of around 7 to 8 percent....less expenses. Or as I stated previously I could just keep it as a "spare room" for visitors. Tourism is growing around this region and so, in dive season, might also be the opportunity to rent it on air bnb.

What raises a flag for me is that although the house is basically completed, except for fitout and painting, it does not yet have electricity or water connected. The kids of the owner are currently living there and septic toilet (with buried tank at the back of the house) is already in place. Water is drained off the roof into a large tank inside the house (rains a lot here) and electricity is currenty (borrowed) from a neighbour via an extension lead.

Not sure what went wrong for the owner...that is why he hasn't done that little bit extra to get the power and water connected. Maybe as a working class Thai, he just planned poorly and ran out of money. I asked why he was selling and just got the "thai smile".

Anyway...my biggest concern is that the building has been approved, or, if it hasn't, what is the risks associated with getting it approved retrospectively. In fact I am not worried about the approval really, the key issue is ensuring that I can get the PEA to connect and the water connected.

That is why I asked in my original OP, about the Tabien ban (house book). If he already has a housebook for the property, does that mean that it has been approved. And who does the approval, is it the tessaban, or the land office?

If the house has been built illegally, and that is a showstopper, then I will probably pass on the deal and wait for some bare land to come along.

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on the following issues from my Op it would be greatly appreciated:

1. Tabien ban. How can I check that the new house build has been registered/approved. If the owner can also produce a copy of a Tabien ban, is that sufficient to prove that the plans for the house were registered/approved?
  2. If no Tabien ban exists, how, and where do I go, to check if the house build has been registered/approved.
  3. Can approval of a dwelling be obtained after it has been built? If so how (and how much)?
  4. I have read that PEA will only connect the power to a dwelling that has a Tabien ban. Is that correct?
  5. I plan to buy the house, and the girlfriend can own the land (with a life usufruct stamped on it for me), but what is required to set that up? That is, do I have both a contract for the sale of the house and also a contract for the sale of the land drawn up?

I will keep reporting back as I move forward with my due dilligence.

Thongkorn, the property is... how should I put it...in the hinterland...and on a small rise. No landslide issue whatsoever and no flooding issues either. It is on the highside of the street and the block has had extra fill added already. The moo ban is small, clean and very quiet...save a few obligatory dogs. It is basically a few house on a gravel road that runs back up into the mountain from a main bitumen road.

Please keep in mind this is no farang mcmansion. It is just a block and cement render two bedroom Thai working class home and a square block in a nice green location about five minutes ride from the beach.

I too think that it is a bargain, but am well aware of the "if it seems to good to be true" axiom.

As a rental property, renting to a Thai family, I would get about 3.5 to 4K per month. And so would realise an income of around 7 to 8 percent....less expenses. Or as I stated previously I could just keep it as a "spare room" for visitors. Tourism is growing around this region and so, in dive season, might also be the opportunity to rent it on air bnb.

What raises a flag for me is that although the house is basically completed, except for fitout and painting, it does not yet have electricity or water connected. The kids of the owner are currently living there and septic toilet (with buried tank at the back of the house) is already in place. Water is drained off the roof into a large tank inside the house (rains a lot here) and electricity is currenty (borrowed) from a neighbour via an extension lead.

Not sure what went wrong for the owner...that is why he hasn't done that little bit extra to get the power and water connected. Maybe as a working class Thai, he just planned poorly and ran out of money. I asked why he was selling and just got the "thai smile".

Anyway...my biggest concern is that the building has been approved, or, if it hasn't, what is the risks associated with getting it approved retrospectively. In fact I am not worried about the approval really, the key issue is ensuring that I can get the PEA to connect and the water connected.

That is why I asked in my original OP, about the Tabien ban (house book). If he already has a housebook for the property, does that mean that it has been approved. And who does the approval, is it the tessaban, or the land office?

If the house has been built illegally, and that is a showstopper, then I will probably pass on the deal and wait for some bare land to come along.

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on the following issues from my Op it would be greatly appreciated:

Probably best to let us know where the property is located as different areas may handle building permits differently. As indicated earlier, in my area where I built (which is a decent size city) the guy from the land office handled everything for us ....I gave him sketches of what I wanted and he had plans drawn up, engineered, stamped with gov approval and got my wife the Tabien Ban.

Again ...when I built ...I changed so many things from the original plans ...the government guy kinda shook his head and said to let him know when we were finished and he would have new plans and approvals drawn up to show what we built. (AND yes it cost extra but not a whole lot considering). So ...again...yes ...I believe you can get approval after it has been built....as for how much it might cost....don't have a clue as every village, city, moo ban is different with different people to deal with , so best to check with whoever in your area is in charge. Something your wife should do as if they know a farang is involved....well...you get my drift.whistling.gif

anyway ..good luck

So, as said, to get the best response ...would be good to know...city, village or what....Maybe things in your area are handled by the local "headman"

Sounds like your onto something good, however perhaps a little more investigation into why it's never been completed and is it perhaps the subject of some litigation or similar.

Also, a bit more checking is there any problem as to why the utilities are not connected / would it be straightforward and fairly quick after applications for connection are lodged and what are the fees, are they reasonable.

Also, is it worth considering to try to buy the adjoining vacant land?

Good luck.

Sounds like your onto something good, however perhaps a little more investigation into why it's never been completed and is it perhaps the subject of some litigation or similar.

Also, a bit more checking is there any problem as to why the utilities are not connected / would it be straightforward and fairly quick after applications for connection are lodged and what are the fees, are they reasonable.

Good luck.

Thought about trying to buy the adjoing block however, first it is a lot lower than the block with the house and would require a good deal of fill, and, second, can't find out who the owner is.

I have just found out the location of the local land office, and so later this week I will visit with my copy of the chanote. I might also try and see if they can provide me with details of the owner of the block next door.

Are building approvals done by the land office or the tessaban?

Good luck.

Thought about trying to buy the adjoing block however, first it is a lot lower than the block with the house and would require a good deal of fill, and, second, can't find out who the owner is.

I have just found out the location of the local land office, and so later this week I will visit with my copy of the chanote. I might also try and see if they can provide me with details of the owner of the block next door.

Are building approvals done by the land office or the tessaban?

My understand that's it's not the Land titles office. But from there I'm not sure of the answer.

Other members are much more knowledgeable about these details - please share.

Half a rai about 5 minutes from the beach on the west side of a Thai island for half a mill?

Are there ghosts or toxic landfill or something?

Including a new house built to lockup. Steel trusses and tiled roof.

On Phuket? The island with more chanote's than physical parcels of land?

Someone is having a laugh.

Half a rai about 5 minutes from the beach on the west side of a Thai island for half a mill?

Are there ghosts or toxic landfill or something?

Including a new house built to lockup. Steel trusses and tiled roof.

On Phuket? The island with more chanote's than physical parcels of land?

Someone is having a laugh.

Calm down. It is not on Phuket. It is on the west coast. I have located the local land office. I will be going there later this week with the chanote. If anyone can answer the questions I asked earlier in this thread that would be greatly appreciated.

Nanlaew and the other "sky is falling" crew can wait a while...maybe you will have your day in the sun...or maybe you will be enjoying some humble pie.

Building permits are issued at Tessabhan, Chanote checked at land office, no transfer can be made unless any existing loans are paid so impossible to purchase a mortgaged property unless redeemed. West coast is nice, Pranburi, Prachuap etc, some diving and good winds for kite boarding. Always nice when someone snaps up a bargain.

Building permits are issued at Tessabhan, Chanote checked at land office, no transfer can be made unless any existing loans are paid so impossible to purchase a mortgaged property unless redeemed. West coast is nice, Pranburi, Prachuap etc, some diving and good winds for kite boarding. Always nice when someone snaps up a bargain.

Thanks for the helpful post. I haven't snapped anything yet. But still working on it.

Ok.

Here is the update. I have been to the local land office. No encumbrances against the property, however the deed is not a full chanote, it is Nor Sor Sam Gor.

After some research on NSSG I have learnt that:

• It is possible to register a sale or lease and apply and obtain approval to build on this land.
  • It is possible to have the land office survey the land and have the title upgraded to Chanote

And so, now I have a few more questions:

• Has anyone every petitioned the land office to do a survey and to convert the title to a Chanote. What is involved with that process, how much does it cost, and how long does it take?
  • Is it possible to register a usufruct upon a Nor Sor Sam Gor title deed?
  • From what I have read the only con to NSSG is late squatters can take adverse possession after only 1 year as opposed to 10 years with Chanote.

Not so long ago there were 2 members who had a thread about a similar bargain. It was also Nor Sor Saam gor land and right on the beach.

Some people warned them that if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't true, and why such a bargain is up for grabs for a foreigner while there are thousands of Thais with money who don't buy.

They even insulted some members because they wee gonna make a big project and knew it all.

They haven't returned, but I know from a credible source that it was all a pie in the sky, and they never bought the land.

Not so long ago there were 2 members who had a thread about a similar bargain. It was also Nor Sor Saam gor land and right on the beach.

Some people warned them that if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't true, and why such a bargain is up for grabs for a foreigner while there are thousands of Thais with money who don't buy.

They even insulted some members because they wee gonna make a big project and knew it all.

They haven't returned, but I know from a credible source that it was all a pie in the sky, and they never bought the land.

Thanks also for your useful and insightful post.

I don't rely on credible sources, most of them reside on bar stools.

I have a copy of the title deed. Today I have been at the local land office and it all check out. No encumbrances stamped on the back and land as described. I talked with one of the neighbours today and apparently the owner (a woman) was divorced a few years back and two of her kids have been in and out of jail for drug related offences...net result she is broke and that is why the house has not been completed. She has a tabien ban for the house so there is no (technical) reason why she has not connected the power, just the fact that she does not have the money to do so.

I will be moving forward on the project as follows:

1. I need to find out if it is possible to register a usufruct on a Nor Sor Sam Gor title deed
  2. If the answer to 1. above is yes I will make an initial offer of 400K with her to pay transfer tax.
  3. I will negotiate up to her full price of 500K if need be but I want her to pay the transfer tax.
  4. As I understand it any transfer of a NSSG title must be advertised by the land office for 30 days prior to see if anyone wants to contest ownership.
  5. During that period I will have the land office survey the property and confirm the (existing) boundary pegs. I understand the fee for this is about 1900thb.
  6. Upon taking possession of the property I will pay a Thai contractor to build a 6 metre wall between the neighbouring house on the left and the unfinished house on the subject block. I will then build a two meter wall around the remaining perimeter of the block myself.

Wish me luck and if anyone can answer the usufruct on a Nor Sor Sam Gor title deed that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a copy of the title deed. Today I have been at the local land office and it all check out. No encumbrances stamped on the back and land as described. I talked with one of the neighbours today and apparently the owner (a woman) was divorced a few years back and two of her kids have been in and out of jail for drug related offences...net result she is broke and that is why the house has not been completed. She has a tabien ban for the house so there is no (technical) reason why she has not connected the power, just the fact that she does not have the money to do so.

1. I need to find out if it is possible to register a usufruct on a Nor Sor Sam Gor title deed
  2. If the answer to 1. above is yes I will make an initial offer of 400K with her to pay transfer tax.
  3. I will negotiate up to her full price of 500K if need be but I want her to pay the transfer tax.
  4. As I understand it any transfer of a NSSG title must be advertised by the land office for 30 days prior to see if anyone wants to contest ownership.
  5. During that period I will have the land office survey the property and confirm the (existing) boundary pegs. I understand the fee for this is about 1900thb.
  6. Upon taking possession of the property I will pay a Thai contractor to build a 6 metre wall between the neighbouring house on the left and the unfinished house on the subject block. I will then build a two meter wall around the remaining perimeter of the block myself.

Wish me luck and if anyone can answer the usufruct on a Nor Sor Sam Gor title deed that would be greatly appreciated.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you should try to find that thread, and read it from the first to the last post.

They also didn't rely on credible sources, you should read my post again, but they had same as you been to the land office, seen the title deed, spoken with the owner and made a formal agreement. They even knew someone high up in the concerned land office who's gonna clear it all for them.

Wonder why the deal at the end didn't go through? Because the snakes came out of the grass after more and more research.

Only the land, without any building on it, is worth a multiple of what you mention in the OP.

Do you really think that there is no Thai who is aware of this "bargain", know the value and has the funds?

Good luck, keep us informed, but don't get too exited.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you should try to find that thread, and read it from the first to the last post.

They also didn't rely on credible sources, you should read my post again, but they had same as you been to the land office, seen the title deed, spoken with the owner and made a formal agreement. They even knew someone high up in the concerned land office who's gonna clear it all for them.

Wonder why the deal at the end didn't go through? Because the snakes came out of the grass after more and more research.

Only the land, without any building on it, is worth a multiple of what you mention in the OP.

Do you really think that there is no Thai who is aware of this "bargain", know the value and has the funds?

Good luck, keep us informed, but don't get too exited.

Thanks again for you post. However, it adds nothing to the thread.

Archived