With a modern car/truck, is it still good to install physical anti-theft device (Locktech, etc.)

I haven't bought a car in 15 years; for the last one, an Isuzu truck, I had a heavy "Lock-Tech" lock installed that easily locks the clutch and break pedals. I like it as it was out of sight and easy to use. It also locks the relatively solid pedals as opposed to devices that lock the steering wheel, when it's very easy to just saw through the steering wheel material itself, never mind how strong the actual lock device is.

Anyway, fast forward 15 years and I now have a new Ford Everest, and the gadgetry inside it is completely stunning by comparison. (Including panels for broad band internet, not sure why that's even helpful). But it does have alarms and an immobilizer too of course. Are those adequate to prevent theft when it's parked in ''P"? Or would it still be good to get a Lock-Tech (or other recommended device?) in addition?

I always imagine those steering wheel and gear shift locks are for cars that don't have, or can't get, insurance wink.png

No security system/device is infallible - if someone wants your car enough, they're going to get it. If that's the destiny of your car, I always think it's better if it happens when you're not around / not needed to facilitate it. i.e. if someone decides yours it the car they want, and you have additional anti-theft devices, they're just going to wait for you to come back and remove them for them.. right?

For me, I keep all my cars fully insured, and don't leave valuables (other than auto gadgets like dashcams) in them. If I come back to my parking spot one day and a car is gone, yes, I'm going to lose some money replacing it, but at least I didn't lose any blood in the process.

Congrats on the new car BTW thumbsup.gif

Oh, and apologies for the dark tone of my post wai2.gif

I always imagine those steering wheel and gear shift locks are for cars that don't have, or can't get, insurance wink.png

No security system/device is infallible - if someone wants your car enough, they're going to get it. If that's the destiny of your car, I always think it's better if it happens when you're not around / not needed to facilitate it. i.e. if someone decides yours it the car they want, and you have additional anti-theft devices, they're just going to wait for you to come back and remove them for them.. right?

Sure, but a that heavy lock-tech thing sure would be nuisance to remove; as a thief I'd pick one that's less hassle. For example maybe they figured out how to get around Ford Ranger/Everest immobilizer.. now they also have this heavy steel thing to deal with. As there's no shortage of them I'd just pick the next one in that case.

And what I like about Lock-tech is that it's installed securely and out of the way; some locks result in a heave loose object to have with you in the car, which is never a good idea. And pulling it and releasing it is very easy. Also it kept working properly for 15 years, which is an achievement for and aftermarket-anything. ;)

Then again, it may just be a relic from an era when all you needed to do to start a car was connect two wires.?

63255617120.jpg

Sometimes a heavy loose metal thing in the car could be handy. Although the steeringwheel club things are probably inferior to the pedal lock they are instantly visible. Car thefts fall into two general categories, the opportunist and the planned theft to order. You are never going to stop the second guy but the first guy might see a bright yellow club thing and say "I look for one without one of those on it". Back home I always had one on each car. Here they seem not so popular and the pedal locks are popular. BTW one of the really big things here is theft of spare wheels. If yours is get-at-able there are special locks for them too. Not expensive, easy to use and just remember to have a copy of the key on each set of car keys. My wife is commonly checking our spare wheel after a visit to hospital/mall etc or airport or any big city carpark.

You are talking like if he owns a Ferrari !!!

Who is going to threaten you physically for Ford ???!!!

For me, I keep all my cars fully insured, and don't leave valuables (other than auto gadgets like dashcams) in them. If I come back to my parking spot one day and a car is gone, yes, I'm going to lose some money replacing it, but at least I didn't lose any blood in the process.

Congrats on the new car BTW thumbsup.gif

Oh, and apologies for the dark tone of my post wai2.gif

Guys are weird ? What is the pupose of invisble lock just as invisble dashcam ?

You want that they break your door or window for nothing ? Because once inside they will see the lock = ridiculous

If you install anything to lock the car it should be visible by anybody from outside.

Anyway as everybody said the gangs that really want a car will get it anyway whatever you do, but I do not think that anybody in this country is smart enough to fight with a car that has alarms and mecanical locks.

In case shit happens a good idea is to also have a GPS tracker. installed to be able to find the car.

I just got a GPS tracker for my bike. Just charge it and put it in my bike, in my gf's purse or on a dog collar. Works great under $40 usd. Has geo fencing and motion detection even an SOS button for emergencies sends location to phone if your choice. Nice multitasking solution. PM if you want info.

I have one of those pedal locks on my Vigo. One time at Big C I couldn't get it off. I was in the car park for 30 minutes messing about trying to get it unlocked. No one batted an eye lid as I was under the dash trying to free it. I eventually got it off and managed to go home. I replaced it with a different make and its been fine since.

Thai car thieves are using jammers to steal cars. Every time you lock your car make sure to check its locked, either by trying the door or watching the lights flash.

Also don't leave your car keys near a door in your house. If someone really wants your car they will break in to your house to steal it. I have a friend from the UK who's an ex car thief, and he used to use a brush handle and a coat hanger through letter boxes to steal car keys. He would remove UPVC windows and climb through while the owner was asleep. So easy to steal a $50,000 car when you have the keys.

Take your car keys to bed with you, hidden but in reach. Most new cars have an alarm that can be activated from the remote. The car alarm can be activated if you ever have intruders in the house.

Park your car on a drive and lock the gate. Again hide the keys.

Fit the vehicle with a tracker. Cheap enough in Thailand now and make sure you hide the cable that charges it, or the thief can rip it out and throw it away.

I have a friend from the UK who's an ex car thief, and he used to use a brush handle and a coat hanger through letter boxes to steal car keys.

Take your car keys to bed with you, hidden but in reach.

Does the brush handle-coat hanger thing work here where most letter boxes are on perimeter walls ?

Might best to just sleep in the car, and leave the house keys on coat hanger in the letter box....

I have a friend from the UK who's an ex car thief, and he used to use a brush handle and a coat hanger through letter boxes to steal car keys.

Take your car keys to bed with you, hidden but in reach.

Does the brush handle-coat hanger thing work here where most letter boxes are on perimeter walls ?

Might best to just sleep in the car, and leave the house keys on coat hanger in the letter box....

Example: "I have a friend from the UK who's an ex car thief, and he used to use a brush handle and a coat hanger through letter boxes to steal car keys. He would remove UPVC windows and climb through while the owner was asleep."

Nothing stopping thieves here from removing UPVC windows and doing the same.

"Might best to just sleep in the car, and leave the house keys on coat hanger in the letter box...."?????????????

Really?? Been on the smack again have we?

Keyless entry, keyless start, immobiliser? They can't steal when you have the remote unless they pick it up with a fork lift

Sorry to disappoint but if you have keyless entry then for about $20 thieves can get the way to remotely activate your car remote so they can take anything in the car. It's more expensive to get the system to activate the ignition but still not too difficult.

If you have your remote in a faraday cage then the system doesn't work

Just google "keyless entry theft system"

Or http://www.driving.co.uk/news/no-car-is-safe-how-hi-tech-thieves-are-defeating-sophisticated-security-systems/

Keyless entry, keyless start, immobiliser? They can't steal when you have the remote unless they pick it up with a fork lift

It's actually not keyless; it does have a key to turn the ignition. Stuff on the dash starts lighting up as soon as you insert the key though (before turning it) so there's probably something else in there that releases the immobilizer.

It's actually not keyless; it does have a key to turn the ignition. Stuff on the dash starts lighting up as soon as you insert the key though (before turning it) so there's probably something else in there that releases the immobilizer.

Right. there's impending class action lawsuits over keyless start, so Ford have abandoned it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/26/us-autos-ignition-lawsuit-idUSKCN0QV1PH20150826

The problem with the shut off feature proposed is, what happens when your dongle batteries go flat and the engine shuts off when you don't want it to? Catch 22.

As for the Everest alarm & immobilizer, it's a proper one - it even includes motion sensors inside the car. It's automatically armed/disarmed with the door locks.

Sorry to disappoint but if you have keyless entry then for about $20 thieves can get the way to remotely activate your car remote so they can take anything in the car. It's more expensive to get the system to activate the ignition but still not too difficult.

If you have your remote in a faraday cage then the system doesn't work

Just google "keyless entry theft system"

Or http://www.driving.co.uk/news/no-car-is-safe-how-hi-tech-thieves-are-defeating-sophisticated-security-systems/

Thanks for that bud, I was completely unaware of this. I guess I should have thought all technology has the potential of being breached!

I have a keyless Toyota, only drawback so far that it locked me out when my remote battery failed! I now carry a spare in my wallet.

Mine has a key too as part of the remote, but only to get into the car. Ignition is push button. So I can get in but can't start.

Funny that, I remember when my dad had an old Ford V8 (circa1945 I think), that had a push button ignition too. Everything is circular.

Archived