4wd truck, which brand ?

happysoul

Hi,

Made the decision to buy a new truck and let go my ideas about 2nd hand...

I need a 4 door 4wd one. Not sure about 4wd but as living up north in the mountains, think it could be useful for some fun during raining season.

Now comes the choice... Looked at bt50 pro 3.2, nice one but then searched the web for other brands and now I'm totally lost :)

Budget should stay around 1 million and hope to part exchange with my bt50 hi-racer 2552 smartcab.

Where I live are isuzu and Toyota dealer. Another brand would be ok too as I would "need" to go down to big city a couple times per year...

What would you guys do?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for your answers, particularly IMHO for doing my homework smile.png))

I guess nowadays all truck are fairly good. Looking at various models, the differences are the gadgets inside and the overall emotional taste for a certain "look". The more I look at models, the less I know which one i prefer... headache ! smile.png

That's why i need advice from owners, knowing that each owner loves his truck and it's the best. But still nice to hear how good they are.

Going back to homework, looking at 6 manual gear models... Will post my thoughts later.

Cheers and thanks

Edit : thanks to Transam too (nice car by the way) ;)))

Edited by happysoul

I guess nowadays all truck are fairly good. Looking at various models, the differences are the gadgets inside and the overall emotional taste for a certain "look". The more I look at models, the less I know which one i prefer... headache ! smile.png

That's why i need advice from owners, knowing that each owner loves his truck and it's the best. But still nice to hear how good they are.

Going back to homework, looking at 6 manual gear models... Will post my thoughts later.

Cheers and thanks

Edit : thanks to Transam too (nice car by the way) wink.png))

Right - all are good trucks, all are reliable, The ones nearer to the top of my list have better infotainment systems than others - e.g. the Ranger and BT-50 are otherwise great trucks, but let down by their aging infotainment systems at this price point (you need to go the Ranger Wildtrak to get an up to date system). If you value safety features, pay careful attention to the spec sheets -while all the "new comers" have models with all the safety systems and airbags, it's sometimes only on their absolute top grade - which can be 100K more than your stated budget.

Thanks again...

Choice is narrowing... Still on the list is Toyota Revo 4x4 2.8l G, BT-50 3.2 pro and isuzu (either x series or V...). Isuzu might get out if they only have 5 gears...

The change will be made this December or later, so still time to think about it...

Oh, by the way, it's me whose selling my older BT-50 hi-racer on some free thai foreign add website ;)

Cheers and thanks

quite a number of the ford ranger models have 6MT gearboxes.

https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models#step=1

Cheers and thanks

quite a number of the ford ranger models have 6MT gearboxes.

https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models#step=1

All of them, except for the Isuzu D-Max, are available with 6MT wink.png

As a requirement, it only eliminates the least interesting one :P

Edited by IMHO

Cheers and thanks

After sales service, power, fuel efficiency, safety, and depreciation are considerations that should top the list. I know that ALL new model toyota trucks have ABS and airbags where as the lower level Mazda and Isuzu trucks have brakes that lock up and will stand your hair on end especially when braking in the rain. I am speaking from experience! The Isuzu will hold it’s value almost as good as the Toyota however you will take a hit with the Mazda. Isuzu in known for excellent fuel efficiency however the new 6 speed Toyota maybe as good. Power is good on all models you listed with exception to the 2.5 Isuzu (130 hp). After sales service all three look good excepting Mazda has less dealership locations and less availability of after market parts..

The more it goes, the more I tend for Toyota. Dealer is close, good security, great liability and good resale value.

Thanks for all the help and advises.

Cheers

Yep, there's nothing bad to say about the Hilux, so long as you look at it blindfolded and you don't compare prices :P

My two cents:

I bought a new 2014 BT-50 3.2 4x4 AT for 899,000 and I love it. So does the ol lady.

The Ranger was #1 on the list but they didn't offer a 3.2 4x4 XLT (which is essentially what I got in the Mazda)

If the Revo were out at the time, I would have strongly considered it because the after sales service of Toyota is unprecedented and the Hilux is legendary. It's a pretty sexy truck.

Owned a Chevy Captiva and will never buy another overseas Chevy again so the Colorado was off the table.

The Triton, V-Cross and Navara engines were too small to consider paying 1,000,000+

I say, save yourself 200,000 and put it toward after market parts (Tow Bar, Tonneau Cover, Tires, Reverse Camera, Bull Bar, etc..) Get more truck for your buck.

I love the look of the new Ranger, both inside and out. It would be my clear choice, especially as the handling has also been improved.

You put it through it's paces..?.........smile.png

Why do you ask like that? It's not that hard to drive down to a Ford dealer and take a drive in one ;)

I love the look of the new Ranger, both inside and out. It would be my clear choice, especially as the handling has also been improved.

You put it through it's paces..?.........smile.png

Why do you ask like that? It's not that hard to drive down to a Ford dealer and take a drive in one wink.png

Weeeeeell, a guy goes to a dealer, checks tyre pressures to insure the ride comfort is acceptable... He then takes the ride up to 100k and deals with road bends......He then takes it off road and sees how it handles............yes/no.....

The guy says the Ford handling has been improved......I am asking if he has proved it himself, or is it a brochure thingy......

Yes and no. I have taken it for a test drive, but not put it through it's paces. The dealership would only let me take it on a 5-6km back/forth down the highway with the Sales Rep plopped right beside me. I was surprised at how light the handling felt for a vehicle of that size though. I also must admit that I had no driven the pre-facelift model. My comment was based on reviews I have read, not a brochure.

The only other truck I have driven was an 8 year old Izuzu which felt like driving a brick....... but before you say it, no I've never actually driven a brick wink.png

Why don't you rent each one you like for a week and see how they compare?

Thats what I did, but I knew I was going with Toyota anyway.

Then why did you do it? :P

Wanted some buyer's remorse before you pulled the trigger? :D

Then why did you do it? tongue.png

Wanted some buyer's remorse before you pulled the trigger? biggrin.png

No!

I'd rented Fortuners and Vigos for 5 years when I needed a car, so I tried the others to see what they were like.

Toyota won hands down.

No!

I'd rented Fortuners and Vigos for 5 years when I needed a car, so I tried the others to see what they were like.

Toyota won hands down.

Heheh, I'm just messing with you. Up until 2011, the Hilux was clearly the best pickup truck on the market.

No!

Toyota won hands down.

Heheh, I'm just messing with you. Up until 2011, the Hilux was clearly the best pickup truck on the market.

Never mind, mines a 2012

There are 4 rangers in the parking lot at work out of 8 trucks total. 3 of the owners are engineers that work in he auto industry if that makes a difference to you.

My other friends has a BT 50 pro as well (same truck as the Ranger essentially). I would recommend either one after riding in them. They seem to be a good quality vehicle.

Like Transam, i am a Toyota guy, and when I sold my Tacoma in the U.S. The resale price was amazing. But I can't speak for resale values here if that is a consideration for you.

Fullcave talks sense here. Out in the sticks I have Toyota, Isuzu and Nissan dealers. Everyone else is at least 100k away in Phetchabun city. Few years since I bought the truck by elimination. Toyota..only two trucks in showroom, both basic J models. Salesman reluctant to come out of his air con office and even unlock one, never mind a test drive. No brochures on higher spec models. Nissan.. great salesman, offered 24 hour test drive, but truck a shed. Mega thirsty, a friend bought one in England and got bugger all resale. That left Isuzu by default, and I've been perfectly happy with the truck and service since. I know the latest trucks are more car-like to drive, but after 10 years driving an ancient Landrover in England with wife No. 1;s horses behind, it feels like a Limo.