4wd truck, which brand ?

happysoul

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is nothing wrong with the new truck automatics, I just prefer a manual for myself especially for going up and down mountains. I use the gears a lot. My old Nissan had 150,000 kilometers on it and still had the original brakes. That should tell you something about my driving style. I changed the OE Bridgestone tires at 90,000. Not because they were worn out but because they got hard and slippery on wet roads. They are stacked outside beside my garage waiting for someone who has an old clunker that needs a set of tires. Just come and get them.

Address please................laugh.png

Nong Hin, Loei. Come and get them.

Aouch im in Phakao 18km from there ...but i donneed your tires

There is nothing wrong with the new truck automatics, I just prefer a manual for myself especially for going up and down mountains. I use the gears a lot. My old Nissan had 150,000 kilometers on it and still had the original brakes. That should tell you something about my driving style. I changed the OE Bridgestone tires at 90,000. Not because they were worn out but because they got hard and slippery on wet roads. They are stacked outside beside my garage waiting for someone who has an old clunker that needs a set of tires. Just come and get them.

We still need to meet in person one day...The past few times I have been in-country I have not made it north of Korat.

I will return for my follow-up Extension of Stay visit next month. We might make it up to Nong Hin to check on the rental units and visit Maae Lom.

You are lucky as the Bridgestones don’t wear out they blow out! Though Im sure they look fine, 99km is way beyond the life cycle...

I can't stand autos. They feel sluggish compared to a manual and I don't have the same level of control from the throttle. I'm sure a dual clutch system might sway me (on the right car) to change my ways. Fortunately the missus prefers a manual too.

Have you driven a modern auto pickup........?

My auto truck "can" wheel spin off the line at the stop light drags and trounce trucks that are still fishing for gears....There is no sluggish stuff, thats gone.....Well my Asian auto box ain't sluggish......biggrin.png

Modern autos are way more advanced that in the past. In a truck they auto will be quicker to 100 because of the short first gear in the manual version. In cars, modern dsg autos are also faster than the equivalent manual versions. You physically cannot shift as fast as an auto changes gear. Perhaps hauling heavy weights up and down mountains, then maybe the manual is more appropriate. But driving around town, the manual is a PITA. Manual versions are often lower specced and resale is poorer. Most Thais don't like manuals and most never learned to drive one.

No. Manuals are quicker than standard auto boxes. A quick glance at a few car websites clearly shows that.

I can't stand autos. They feel sluggish compared to a manual and I don't have the same level of control from the throttle. I'm sure a dual clutch system might sway me (on the right car) to change my ways. Fortunately the missus prefers a manual too.

My auto truck "can" wheel spin off the line at the stop light drags and trounce trucks that are still fishing for gears....There is no sluggish stuff, thats gone.....Well my Asian auto box ain't sluggish......biggrin.png

Modern autos are way more advanced that in the past. In a truck they auto will be quicker to 100 because of the short first gear in the manual version. In cars, modern dsg autos are also faster than the equivalent manual versions. You physically cannot shift as fast as an auto changes gear. Perhaps hauling heavy weights up and down mountains, then maybe the manual is more appropriate. But driving around town, the manual is a PITA. Manual versions are often lower specced and resale is poorer. Most Thais don't like manuals and most never learned to drive one.
No. Manuals are quicker than standard auto boxes. A quick glance at a few car websites clearly shows that.
In the past yes, these days autos are quicker.

2015 Nissan 370Z is quicker as an auto 0-60. I don't care because I would rather have the manual and have full control. But that doesn't mean I am going to turn a blind eye to the truth.

My Son recons that holding the Chevy on the foot brake then revving up and releasing the brake launches it faster.!!. All rather pointless as the new scooters blow him away regardless..[emoji609]

Ill also vouch for that - brake loading the auto torque converter definitely gives you a harder launch than just stomping on the throttle :P

I certainly don't buy a truck if I want to drag race. That said, even the 2.5 liter trucks have enough power and I likely wasted money on a 3.0 liter option. It was recommended that the 3.0 liter engine would give better fuel economy than the 2.5 liter in a 4X4. The 3.0 liter supposedly doesn't have to work as hard as the 2.5. Whatever the case, I will be getting the 3.0 liter engine.

I did read that Toyota finally changed to a timing chain rather than a belt in the new 2.8 liter diesel. I have never been a fan of timing belts. Years ago I had a Chrysler product that broke the timing belt. It was cheaper to replace the entire engine than repair the damage. Smarter engine builders design their engines so that if a timing belt breaks, it won't destroy the entire engine. I still would rather have a timing chain rather than a belt. I have NEVER had to replace a timing chain.

A friend of mine had an old Mitsubishi diesel jeep. It broke a belt and ended up with cracked pistons, bent valves, a damaged cylinder head and a broken cam shaft. A wipe out.

I certainly don't buy a truck if I want to drag race. That said, even the 2.5 liter trucks have enough power and I likely wasted money on a 3.0 liter option. It was recommended that the 3.0 liter engine would give better fuel economy than the 2.5 liter in a 4X4. The 3.0 liter supposedly doesn't have to work as hard as the 2.5. Whatever the case, I will be getting the 3.0 liter engine.

"Larger" engine size does NOT equate to more power. A common misconception.

I did read that Toyota finally changed to a timing chain rather than a belt in the new 2.8 liter diesel. I have never been a fan of timing belts. Years ago I had a Chrysler product that broke the timing belt. It was cheaper to replace the entire engine than repair the damage. Smarter engine builders design their engines so that if a timing belt breaks, it won't destroy the entire engine. I still would rather have a timing chain rather than a belt. I have NEVER had to replace a timing chain.

A friend of mine had an old Mitsubishi diesel jeep. It broke a belt and ended up with cracked pistons, bent valves, a damaged cylinder head and a broken cam shaft. A wipe out.

But some folk don't change the belt at the recommended interval. Engine damage is caused by the piston coming up and hitting the "now" permanently open valves..

I have never heard of a Vigo engine having belt failure..

Timing chains do have a life, thats why many engines have automatic tension adjustment, those that don't, have monster chains to resist stretch.

Timing chains and belts both have thier pros and cons.

Google "BMW timing chain problems" or "Honda timing chain tensioner failure" for some details on how thing can go wrong.

Some of the engine designs are changing to chains because the power-train can be packaged without the need to consider belt replacement.

The assumption is the chain lasts the life of the engine, which is often the case, but not always....

Edited by Jitar

4x4 truck yesterday.......... well 4 door + pickup back on red plates. Hummer.

friend said fine but 1 lt every 4 KM you need to be very rich to go anywhere.

never seen one here before so looked to see if any 2nd hand, surprised yes.. http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/hummer-h2--04-13-bangkok-metropolitan-on-nut/2452528/

. One of the funniest quotes I remember from the Simpsons television show. Austrian guy like Schwarzenegger driving a hummer is asked how many miles per gallon he gets...his response is "1 highway, zero city"

I have a BT50 and am happy with it.

Other posters will tell you how happy they are with their truck.

Me too.

I have the 4x4 3.2 diesel.

Only used the 4x4 in koh chang, would like to find somewhere down here on the eastern seaboard to put it thru its paces.