Losing wifi on router (True)

Lodestone

I have had True online in my apartment for about four years over a dedicated 02 number and an nlink "Router 1 port" router that came with the service. My PC is connected by ethernet to the router and has a stable connection. My phone, though, connects through the WiFi signal coming out of the router's antenna. On an almost daily basis my phone is losing the router's WiFi signal (usually when trying to reconnect after being out for the day) and I have to reboot my router in order to get it back. Is there anything I can do so this stops happening or is my only option buying a new router? Thanks.

How is WiFi set up on your Router?

Channel being used, are there strong completing units using the same channel

What 'Security Mode' is being used? (WPA; WPA2; or WPA/WPA2)

What 'Encryption' is being used? (TKIP; AES; or TKIP/AES)

Is the Router's WiFi antenna at least 8" (20cm) away from any wall or other dense mass?

Downloading a "WiFi Analyzer" on your Smartphone can tell you how congested the WiFi Channels are in your area.

Pick a channel with the least amount of strong competition.

Some WiFi connecting devices don't like how some routers implement Security or Encryption (especially mulit-mode).

Try selecting WPA2 and AES on the router.

WiFi communications can be negatively affected by signal propagation issues or ongoing interference.

Try placing the Router so the WiFi antenna sticks straight UP, and has some space around it.

If this WiFi connection issue is only just recent then it could be your equipment is just getting 'worn' (age, heat related component wear).

If this is an adsl service then you can easily purchase a unit to replace it. If a is a Cable or Fiber Optic service then you'll need to go through True to get a replacement.

Get Wifi Analyzer on your phone and see if you have congested channels - you're most likely on channel 6 - which is a default.

if thats the case, use the channel chooser on the app and then change channel on your router - you should experience an improvement.

The channel setting ability is only on the Router

Unfortunately, WindowsPhone doesn't have the same abilities as Google Android, so nothing on that platform exists to allow a program look at ALL Available WiFi Channels and see how may WiFi Access Points are in use and what their relative signal strengths are.

Anyway, if you have ADMIN control access to your WiFi Router, you can try setting the WiFi Channel to either 1 or 11 and see if that helps.

I have around 6 WiFi devices connected 24/7. Vary rarely does one have an issue with a dropped WiFi connection.

But that may be because I'm in the middle of nowhere with no other signal/noise competition.

WiFi connections will get dropped if your connection is unstable or can't be maintained, such as when:

you are at the extreme range limit of your WiFi Access Point signal

have competing RF Noise, or lots of constant same channel or co-channel competing congestion

have a signal that's distorted by your building's 'mass'; reflecting, absorbing, multi-imaging (ghosting) your WiFi signal

I must admit my phone seems to stop working my Wi-Fi network on occasion too.

Also True Online.

Normally I disconnecting my phone by switching Wi-Fi off then on again and that fixes it, and no need to reset the router.

I do have 3 or 4 devices accessing the network Wi-Fi though. How is the signal strength? (You can see it if you disconnect from the Wi-Fi network, and also get an idea of how many other networks are around and whether there is maybe a channel interference) .

Odds are that your signal is being interrupted by signals passing through the same frequency. Simply change the channel (frequency) on the routers wifi settings to adjust this. Note that you can go far enough away from what your laptop or wireless device can pick up at times so be sure to have something you can plug into the router in case you lose access to your wifi. Once you find a comfortable frequency setting, you should be okay.

I have a router in the wife's business, and one at home. Same provider. The router at home sometimes drops my laptop off (at first startup of the day only), but not at the wife's business. We have 4 connects. A cellphone, an IPAD a Laptop (on wifi), and an AIS Android Box, by Ethernet. Both routers are brand new.

At the restaurant, I signed into the router webpage setup, and allowed access only for our four devices, by MAC address. This prevents anyone else from connecting, even though they have the password. If somebody wants to access wifi ..on their own device, they would need to ask me, and I simply uncheck the box that limits the MAC addressees allowed to access.

I am going to do that right now at home....as that works great (no disconnects..and never need to unplug and replug the router.

This may not be the problem, but if somebody else is connecting, you get reassiged an IP number (in sequence..i.e. 101,102, 103...etc (192.186.1.101 and so on). Should not normally be a problem..but I want to lock in only my 4 MAC Addresses, and block any others. As I said, once you enter the MAC addresses allowed, there is a box on the router page that you can uncheck, if you want to allow more devices.

If the problem manifests itself after your absence from home, it could be that True are using "line management" to give more bandwidth to other Users in your vicinity. This is why it's often better to supply your own hardware rather than what is supplied by the Provider so that it cannot be pampered with.

If the problem manifests itself after your absence from home, it could be that True are using "line management" to give more bandwidth to other Users in your vicinity. This is why it's often better to supply your own hardware rather than what is supplied by the Provider so that it cannot be pampered with.

Oh, please please please tell us how this manifests itself via a WiFi Interface.

Does TRUE, using 'line management to give more bandwidth to other Users in your vicinity" affect adsl subscribers?

Where does a person go to supply their "own hardware" when subscribed to TRUE Cable DOCSIS or Fiber Optic service, so they can keep the Provider from using 'line management' to redirect their bandwidth??

Typically wifi dropouts will be due to nearby users on same or adjacent chanels.

1, 6 and 11 have least interference, if you can scan usage can see best match.

Wireless N or higher can support different wavelengths that may be less congested so less issues.

Had some issues recently at work, switching channel or readjusting router would be a quick fix. Running an actual cable fully solved it all.

Archived