Suvarnabhumi taxi driver caught with scam meter and krathom

webfact

Busted! Suvarnabhumi taxi driver caught with scam meter and krathom
By Coconuts Bangkok

taxi_18.jpg
Photo: Matichon TV

BANGKOK: -- Busted! A taxi driver was caught with a scam meter and some illegal narcotic krathom leaves at a Suvarnabhumi Airport checkpoint yesterday.

Sawai Mepian was caught using an old-school modified meter that comes with a special feature: a button behind the turn signal switch that the driver can press to make the meter run faster.

Taxi with such meters are locally known as “Taxi Turbo,” where the fare goes up fast and sky high.

Full story http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/09/03/busted-suvarnabhumi-taxi-driver-caught-scam-meter-and-krathom

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-09-03

Airport Taxi Busted for ‘Turbo’ Meter
By Khaosod English

14412675321441267594l.jpg
Taxi driver Sawai Meepian is accused of jacking up fares with a hidden button near his turn signal.

BANGKOK — Police and soldiers at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport arrested a taxi driver yesterday for installing a rigged fare meter and having illegal drugs in his car.

Police say the driver, Sawai Meepian, installed a device known as “turbo meter” in his car, which can be pressed by hand to swiftly raise the fare. The switch was wrapped in a black cloth and hidden close to the turn signal, police said.

They also claimed to find 24 kratom leaves in the vehicle’s glove box. Kratom is an addictive plant used as a folk remedy and is illegal in Thailand.

Full story http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1441267532

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-09-03

Sawai was fined THB2,000 by the Department of Land Transport for modifying the meter. Of course, his taxi driver license remains effective,

Thai culture now dictates that he will have to scam even more now to pay for the fine.

coffee1.gif

I wonder if his taxi has the sticker of recent issues saying his taxi has passed inspection.

Surely there would be regulations which state that meters must be within a certain category and not more than xx years old.

Many of the taxis at the airport wait line seems to have rigged meters. I have experienced it in about half of the times taking the downstairs line. So now I usually take a taxi upstairs at BKK airport.

I do not know if they have a button or if they just always run about 30% faster than they should. You can see it on the kilometers on the meter when you know the distance to where you are going. Or maybe I am just unlucky and often get a rigged meter.

By the way I experienced something similar with a Manila airport meter taxi. There I am sure he had a button as the meter started to go slower as I complained loudly to the driver about the fast moving meter.

And I have also experienced similar cheating taxis in Saigon with too fast meters.

• Like 2

I do not know if they have a button or if they just always run about 30% faster than they should. You can see it on the kilometers on the meter when you know the distance to where you are going. Or maybe I am just unlucky and often get a rigged meter.

one way to tell is the KM expressway markers , compare 1 KM to his meter 1KM and see if they match......

Sawai was fined THB2,000 by the Department of Land Transport for modifying the meter. Of course, his taxi driver license remains effective,

Thai culture now dictates that he will have to scam even more now to pay for the fine.

coffee1.gif

Well they certainly haven't taken that opportunity from him.

Well at least he took the time to hide all the wiring.

I've used taxi's from Suvarnabhumi with half the dashboard missing and loads of wires hanging out.

But i bet he's back into business today.....Welcome to Thailand, sawasdee krab.wai2.gifwai.gif

The Department of Land transport can only fine him for rigging the meter. As for actual fraud charges - they didn't catch him red handed with passengers in the car and in action, so unless some passengers come forward and prove that that they were cheated by him, all they can charge him for is rigging the meter with intent to cause fraud.

in Khaosod it is also mentioned: He was fined 2,000 baht for modifying his taxi without permission and charged with possession of narcotics.

In the video clip the officer explains that the TAT have contacted the police saying they suspect there are taxis with rigged meters, and that's why the police and army have put up the checkpoint.

Airport Taxi Busted for ‘Turbo’ Meter

By Khaosod English

14412675321441267594l.jpg

Taxi driver Sawai Meepian is accused of jacking up fares with a hidden button near his turn signal.

BANGKOK — Police and soldiers at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport arrested a taxi driver yesterday for installing a rigged fare meter and having illegal drugs in his car.

Police say the driver, Sawai Meepian, installed a device known as “turbo meter” in his car, which can be pressed by hand to swiftly raise the fare. The switch was wrapped in a black cloth and hidden close to the turn signal, police said.

They also claimed to find 24 kratom leaves in the vehicle’s glove box. Kratom is an addictive plant used as a folk remedy and is illegal in Thailand.

Full story http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1441267532

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-09-03

Pressing the button by hand is much more convenient than doing it with your foot. tongue.png

coffee1.gif

A modifyed meter is a criminal offense of intentional, systematic fraud.

And the Department of Land Transport let him work tomorrow then again, with his taxi in queue at the airport?

TiT

Scamming foreigners is not a crime in Thailand. Every Thai understands this and no Thai will penalise another Thai who gets caught.

Fact of life I'm afraid, part of Thailand's charm.

• Like 1

mine rigged the meter so every KM clocked up 1.3 km , so a 30km airport run ended up 39 km

take taxi permit away , not a 2000 baht hand slap

Than he goes with his friends permit.....Take away the taxi and make it an artificial reef.

one way to tell is the KM expressway markers , compare 1 KM to his meter 1KM and see if they match......

A smartphone may help too, much more convenient. Google maps or any navgigation app tells you the distance traveled and also counts down the distance.

The bigger problem is: What can you do? Reporting the crooks doesn´t seem to have much effects after all. We have reported 3 guys to the DLT, but will that really change a lot?

And confronting the driver directly might not be the best solution too, maybe it´s your lucky day and you end up with some maniac high on drugs. Chances might be slim, but too much stuff has happend here.

When I plan to drink and know in advance when and where I will be going, Grab TaxiPpremium or UBER is my choice. 9 of 10 cars are clean and comfy with great drivers. Even had an older lady once, was like beeing driven home by mom smile.png

A drug user with a driving licence used for carrying members of the public as for being a thief he should have his car impounded and crushed or sold at auction and money given to disabled people caused by road accidents and taking drugs while driving his licence revoked for an indefinite period but then again this is Thailand so its ok no one cares not even the Junta generals who are trying to make the roads safer in Thailand [ joke ] back to work next day at usual job no problem new meter and new stash of krathom leaves in the glove box and a double shift in half the time with his whigh speed meter.