Korean tourist saved from drowning off Phi Phi Island

webfact

Korean tourist saved from drowning off Phi Phi Island
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1441271076_1-org.jpg
American Sam Hollrah, pictured here at Monkey Beach, was on hand to provide CPR and revive South Korean tourist. Jea Hou Lee.

PHUKET: -- An American man and a fellow tourist saved the life of a South Korean man who was drowning during a snorkeling trip off of Koh Phi Phi on August 22.

American Sam Hollrah, a resident in Laos, was on a snorkeling trip arranged by the Anurak Seacanoe tour company with about other 20 tourists when the weather turned bad and the sea became rough. All those on the trip were advised by their tour guide not to snorkel too far from the boat.

“I saw a man drifting in the sea, so I called our tour guide and the captain of the boat. We moved the boat to the man and together we pulled him on board,” Mr Hollrah told The Phuket News.

“We found that the man had no pulse when we pulled him aboard the boat. So, with the help of other tourists, I immediately performed CPR. This went on for about seven or eight minutes,” he said.

“Finally, we got a weak pulse and he coughed. I tipped him on his side and patted his back to release the seawater from his lungs. We got the boat back to Phi Phi and the man was taken to Phi Phi Hospital. However, he was later transferred to Phuketʼs Vachira Hospital,” Mr Hollrah explained.

Sonsunee Misong, the tour guide who was out on the trip told The Phuket News that the Korean man, named as Jea Hou Lee, was kept under observation at Vachira Hospital for two days.

“I went to see him both days,” she said.

A doctor from Vachira Hospital told Ms Sonsunee that Mr Jea had taken in a lot of water and needed to rest.

“When Mr Jea woke up he immediately said that he was very sorry to have caused so much trouble to the group. He promised to come back next year and that he would follow the advice given by the tour guides,” Ms Sonsunee added.

During sea tours, guides always tell their customers to wear a life jacket. However, some ignore the warning, even those are poor swimmers.

“We cannot force tourists to wear them, except those who are unable to swim,” said Ms Sonsunee.

Ms Sonsunee also told The Phuket News that Anurak Seacanoe tour had covered all Mr Jeaʼs hospital expenses, which amounted to over B10,000.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/korean-tourist-saved-from-drowning-off-phi-phi-island-53935.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-03

what these people are wearing are called buoyancy aids or PFD's (personal flotation devices) they give a person buoyancy in the water . i.e it keeps them afloat, and that is all. I wish people would stop referring to them as life jackets. Life jackets are what you find on an airplane. they are designed to flip you on to your back to provide an open airway should you get knoocked out leaving the plane and land face down. If you land face down wearing a PFD, thats exactly where you stay and you will drown, so they are NOT life jackets.

I work in the outdoor industry and in my staff training I ensure the Instructors make all clients aware of this fact. Giving someone a PFD and telling them it is a life jacket is giving that person a false sence of security and in some cases can, and has lead to lawsuits.

welll done to the guys for keeeping calm and rescuing the poor fellow.