What is the biggest mistake you have made in Thailand?

1BADDAT

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shall try to be possitive and honnest to you all, i'v been in thai for 15 years non stop, the best thing ever happend was: i get divorced, and learned to speak thai . The rest of the time here in thai was crap.

Moved houses 13 times, bought 12 cars, lost my child, set up businesses 17 times, lost money 5.5 mill thb. Get cought up with family crimes becouse im farang, and more. Now some may say that i am stupid or blind, but farangs who just come to thai have to belive there wife or girlfriend about culture, and the rules in thai as we step into a world that we westerners dont understand, so thai people can lie a whole new world to us, and we ofcouse belive all that crap, so the first thing what popped up in my mind, what the biggest mistake was in thailand, is stay here in thailand after my first mistake. But yeah, my stubborn attitude to never give up in life, made me get this shitty life of 15 years in thai. Now i get a new change in life, i will stay in thai now as i get a perminent residence, and found my soul mate. Keep on walking!

Did anyone really take a look at this list of pitiful complaints---trusting the wrong people, being used by lovers, loaning money, misunderstanding cultures, eating bad food, opening a business, buying property, trusting the in-laws, taken by corruption, squat toilets, spicy food, too much drink, bad relationships, etc., ad infinitim---did you really grow up without learning to watch out for all these issues?

Unlike you, not all TV members and general people in society make stupid mistakes from time to time. After all that is the point of the thread to point out those mistakes as silly as you may find them.

Do have any mistakes that you would like to point out (maybe you already have)? If you don't, then I suggest you stay out of the thread and let others contribute on topic.

My biggest mistake was not coming to Thailand sooner...

I'm in heaven....

YES!!! I can't agree more!

I wasted 20 years in Vietnam, first. Although, 'wasted' probably isn't the best term. Learnt a lot over there that prepared me for Thailand.

Thailand is easy after doing the 'hard yards' in Vietnam.

Been in Thailand 19 years. The only mistake my wife and I have made......"loaning" Thai friends money. After we hiccuped on the first two 'loans' we decided if anyone asked us for money we would only give it if we considered it a gift. If we were repaid, that would be a bonus. If we weren't repaid, we didn't feel cheated. Sometimes we get the money back, and sometimes we don't. Naturally, anyone who doesn't repay the 'gift' doesn't ever get another from us.

ehhhhh......need a few baht for medical work ...ehhhh.... gift ?

Leaving Nana Plaza on the motorbike after a few too many cocktails. Took the long way home instead of going directly.

A police checkpoint at Petchaburi/Wittayu road. "You look drunk".

A nice stay in Lumpini Police station, in a holding cell with an ugly ladyboy, while waiting for the wife to show up and negotiate my "fine".

The outcome overall was good...24000 baht, "go home", no paper trail, no court.

Archived