What is the biggest mistake you have made in Thailand?

1BADDAT

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) trusting a white man.

2) trusting thai visa forum to warn me about the white man.

To the OP. The motorbike taxi guy must have had mates nearby. A Thai guy 9 times out of ten, (and that's being generous) will not fight one on one.

Saying goodbye to a particular Thai Lady, which was, in hind-sight, and as became clear later, a total cultural misunderstanding of a fresh face farang in Thailand.who knew nothing and expected people and particularly the women to be just like the West, and they are not, for all the right reasons.

The Grass-hopper learned, moved on to meet my current wife, but that one lady will always be fondly remembered.

That one probably is the most common mistake farangs do in Thailand....

The biggest mistake I made was at the Toyota dealers buying a new truck, as there was only me and the wife (then girlfriend) I picked a two door Vigo.

It was not until a year later that I realised that there is a big difference in the cost of tax between a two door and a four door model.

1) trusting a white man.

To the OP. The motorbike taxi guy must have had mates nearby. A Thai guy 9 times out of ten, (and that's being generous) will not fight one on one.

is that true adjusted for size? A six foot thirteen stone westerner typically avoids six foot eight nineteen stone bouncers, and the average farang has the same relative advantage over the average Thai.

1) trusting a white man.

is that true adjusted for size? A six foot thirteen stone westerner typically avoids six foot eight nineteen stone bouncers, and the average farang has the same relative advantage over the average Thai.

I don't think size has a lot to do with a one to one fight, what about how fit a person is, a fit 5ft 8ins guy in most cases would beat an unfit 6ft guy.

1) trusting a white man.

I don't think size has a lot to do with a one to one fight, what about how fit a person is, a fit 5ft 8ins guy in most cases would beat an unfit 6ft guy.
Ok guys..a bit off topic. Anyone with a gun / knife can be a tough guy.

Back on topic...point is that I learned not to start confrontations here in general. Glad I learned that lesson without getting stabbed / shot.

In 2011, eating fish and chips in a hotel restaurant in Prachup kirikan (sp), it took me as close to death as I've ever been.

First time I landed up in Asia, some 40 years ago, I was advised NEVER order western food in places you think might not prepare it too often. It's been good advice so far.

When I first came to Thailand, 7 years ago.... "Playing the field" for 18 months and then after that, thinking that the the "normal" Thai gal I finally decided to partner up with and have a child with was in any way like the bar girls and the like that I had previously been fooling around with.

She wasn't! Five years on, still isn't! Silly me took a while to work that out. She is in fact a high quality gem and I now realise that there are a lot more of them than I first realised. Thankfully! Shame on me and apologies to the genuine good-hearted Thais that might read this!

Clearly a mob or bar girls alongside corruption on many fronts, does not mean the whole country is that way! It can however give their reputation an uphill start!!

It seems to me that many a "good Thai" is embarrassed and ashamed of the sordid and corrupt behaviours of their countrymen. They just don't know how to change it yet!

Only one thing. makes it very hard I have made so many mistakes and big ones.

can i list them and you decide.

That depends on you, if it is for the good in life, please do. So I will wait for the list..... I am searching the definition of logic, as we speak.... wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

Did anyone really take a look at this list of pitiful complaints---trusting the wrong people, being used by lovers, loaning money, misunderstanding cultures, eating bad food, opening a business, buying property, trusting the in-laws, taken by corruption, squat toilets, spicy food, too much drink, bad relationships, etc., ad infinitim---did you really grow up without learning to watch out for all these issues?

Archived