What is the biggest mistake you have made in Thailand?

1BADDAT

What is the biggest mistake or thing that you have learned not to do in Thailand. I have been fairly lucky because most of my mistakes have not turned out that bad. For me I made the mistake to flip my middle finger to a motorbike taxi that honked at me. He got of his bike (which he had customers riding) and approached my car ready to fight. I didn't entertain his request to fight and eventually he just left.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saying goodbye to a particular Thai Lady, which was, in hind-sight, and as became clear later, a total cultural misunderstanding of a fresh face farang in Thailand.who knew nothing and expected people and particularly the women to be just like the West, and they are not, for all the right reasons.

The Grass-hopper learned, moved on to meet my current wife, but that one lady will always be fondly remembered.

Saying goodbye to a particular Thai Lady, which was, in hind-sight, and as became clear later, a total cultural misunderstanding of a fresh face farang in Thailand.who knew nothing and expected people and particularly the women to be just like the West, and they are not, for all the right reasons.

The Grass-hopper learned, moved on to meet my current wife, but that one lady will always be fondly remembered.

Been there.:(

I think most of us have had same experience.

Having So called friends were my biggest mistake, made a decision a few years ago to dump all the assh01es and people just trying to pull me down and enjoy my life. Too many crap friends are a drain on your time and mind.

Now happy as hell and enjoying every moment.

Lesson: dump crap friends to make room for good people in your life. Trust me, the guy or girl that uses you, brings you down or takes you for granted is not worth having in your life.

Been in Thailand 19 years. The only mistake my wife and I have made......"loaning" Thai friends money. After we hiccuped on the first two 'loans' we decided if anyone asked us for money we would only give it if we considered it a gift. If we were repaid, that would be a bonus. If we weren't repaid, we didn't feel cheated. Sometimes we get the money back, and sometimes we don't. Naturally, anyone who doesn't repay the 'gift' doesn't ever get another from us.

In 2011, eating fish and chips in a hotel restaurant in Prachup kirikan (sp), it took me as close to death as I've ever been.

Yeah eating a dodgy chicken curry in Mae Hong Song. Felt so terrible that death seemed like a blessed relief.

My biggest mistake was also my best.

My son wasnt planned and to my eternal shame the first thing I thought of when my wife was sat on the toilet with a stick in her hand was abortion.

Im so glad we didnt 'cos my boy is a blessing. Truly.

Been there.sad.png

I think most of us have had same experience.

Thailand, the hub of bunny boilers.

My biggest mistake was also my best.

My son wasnt planned and to my eternal shame the first thing I thought of when my wife was sat on the toilet with a stick in her hand was abortion.

Im so glad we didnt 'cos my boy is a blessing. Truly.

Exactly this word for word, my son is the light of my life now.

Archived