What is the biggest mistake you have made in Thailand?

1BADDAT

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opening a business.

Maybe you have mentioned this before on a different thread, but do you care to go into a little more detail why this was a bad idea.

To summarize it in one word ? STAFF

Staff is only a reflection of management.

+1

Back in early 80's...., got caught in rain..., left clothes to dry on roof at a manky Khao San Rd dive..., don't think we were even called backpackers then..., just fricken hippies...., anyway some f###er pinched them.
Then there was a bloke who I caught in my room on Phi Phi..., he was rifling through my gear and copped a punch in the head for his troublers..., but..., he came back later with his family.

I haven't made any big mistakes at all...but give me some time, I will. When I do will follow up here with it. It will likely be a dooooozy. In fact I think I am currently in the middle of negotiating one right now.......

talking to unhappy expats around town. really negative stuff. i am happy as heck in Thailand.

no matter where you go, there you are.

I never seem to meet or talk to the unhappy expats. I mostly just experience them on this site.

talking to unhappy expats around town. really negative stuff. i am happy as heck in Thailand.

no matter where you go, there you are.

I never seem to meet or talk to the unhappy expats. I mostly just experience them on this site.

Same experience with me 1BADDAT. In real life, face to face I have yet to meet an unhappy expat or foreigner but good lord come to this site and its a 180 flip of negativity.

But there is a good thing in that, I hope more expats and foreigners investigating Thailand come to the site. If they believe all that's posted they will stay away. biggrin.png

But you know, I suspect that most of the posters on this site are getting on in years and are just grumpy regardless. I see it in my Dad and my friends fathers. They sit around and complain about everything. My hunch is they are bored and have waaaay too much time on their hands.

Saw a young backpacker (English i am afraid to say) make quite a mistake yesterday. She got on a Kanchanaburi bound bus at Chiang Mai. 8 hours and a few 100 km's later the bus arrives at Chai Nat, not too far from Nakhon Sawan She wanted to get off but was hesitant because her friend was going to meet her and had told her to get off at the second bus station by the market and the 7 /11. She obviously had to get off because the bus was not stopping anywhere else. As she was left stranded and the bus moved away the penny clicked with me that she was almost certainly trying to get to Chiang Rai where her friends description of 2nd bus station, market and 7 /11 was a perfect fit. Hope she made it there eventually !