English Bacon in Pattaya

underso

The Makro 1kg packs are not quite English lean back bacon style - although not full-on streaky by any means, I think they are more suited to crisping up North American style (which I like equally anyway) if you are using it for breakfast.

Real bargain at their price though.

Tip: Roll the strips up and put in the freezer. Take them out as needed and cut up into little strips - fry up lightly with some fresh chilli and fresh garlic (to taste) and then throw in a jar of Tesco Onion & Garlic Pasta Sauce (about ThB 80) and heat through. Serve with spaghetti or your pasta of choice. Unused sauce freezes/re-uses well and will also last in the fridge-top cool box a week.

My daughters (Thai) ask for that dish nearly every day - have to ration them.

My own preference for a serving of 4 (say adults, even my 5 yo eats more than me when it comes to spaghetti):

8 rolls of bacon - slice accross the width to cut the frozen roll in two half tubes then 4 times accross the length to produce thin strips

4 large chilis sliced thin (or mashed or deseeded - up to you)

6 medium garlic cloves sliced thin or crushed

1 jar of pasta sauce

100g of dry pasta per person. Maybe fresh is available in Patts

Edited by SantiSuk

For those like me with loadsamoney, check the freezer bins at Villa as they frequently have the real McCoy.

Yorkies are rubbish IMHO. Tasteless, water-packed meats and they use Portland products in the pastry.

Edited by NanLaew

I buy very good Canadian Back Bacon (that's what it's called but taste the same as British Bacon) or the normal bacon for 290 baht a kilo at "Be Lucky" butchers on 2nd road Naklua. Just head towards Naklua on 2nd road and it's about 1 kilometer on the left hand side. https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9579991,100.8924804,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1se7iC8K6WhMEqddpAZmxKXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I get my bacon and sausages from the Big C, they have a big chest freezer stocked to the hilt with UK like bacon, best I've tried since living here.

Really?

Big C on Sukhumvit do Yorkies English bacon and sausages (by the bakery)

But has no taste !!!!

Tastes great IMO.

You're not a smoker by any chance?

I get my bacon and sausages from the Big C, they have a big chest freezer stocked to the hilt with UK like bacon, best I've tried since living here.

Really?

But has no taste !!!!

Tastes great IMO.

You're not a smoker by any chance?

No not a smoker but I am still allowed an opinion.

I wish I could eat raw pork.

I can barely eat crispy American bacon. I also smoke and drink (but use Oil of Olay).

I do love my pork though.

Not slagging the Brit's, but all British bacon I've ever had was rather raw.

Canuck Bacon (ham) is nice though.

I'd assume that the bacon was actually local & hopefully not imported as local pork is excellent.

My advise would be to go to an actual butchers shop & get him to slice up as much as you need & freeze any extra.

Not knocking English pork as there really are some excellent rare breed pigs being commercially reared not to mention wild boar

No issues with your opinion at all. My opinion is those product lines are bland and tasteless.

But sausages are a very selective thing as there's different preferences for breading content and flavouring, particularly with pork sausages. Personally, I prefer beef sausages but they are scarcer than hens teeth in Thailand.

No issues with your opinion at all. My opinion is those product lines are bland and tasteless.

But sausages are a very selective thing as there's different preferences for breading content and flavouring, particularly with pork sausages. Personally, I prefer beef sausages but they are scarcer than hens teeth in Thailand.

Have you actually tried both packs of bacon they sell in Big C, there are two kinds, one has the fat on the bacon and the other has not. The one with the fat on tastes very good. If you have not tried it, give it a go, you may well be surprised. If you have tried it, I will respect your opinion, not everybody likes the same thing. There's a lot of english bacon in the UK I don't like. As for beef sausages, I cannot comment because I prefer pork.

Have you actually tried both packs of bacon they sell in Big C, there are two kinds, one has the fat on the bacon and the other has not. The one with the fat on tastes very good. If you have not tried it, give it a go, you may well be surprised. If you have tried it, I will respect your opinion, not everybody likes the same thing. There's a lot of english bacon in the UK I don't like. As for beef sausages, I cannot comment because I prefer pork.

Since I have never been enamored of any of the meat products at Big C Extra, I did assume that the bacon would be more of the same. But I will be back in about 10 days and I will grab some (and the sausages) and give it a go. Thanks for the tip.

I think the markro bacon is a bit tasteless. Maybe Aussie bacon is different

Taste is a personal thing and a separate issue.

The OP was asking where to get back bacon as opposed to the common streaky that seems to be popular with the Thais.

But has no taste !!!!
that describes English food down to the T.

I feel sorry for someone incapable of appreciating the natural flavours of food.

I quite like flavours to be enhanced one way or another as variety is the spice of life but it is a bit sad to be dependent on enhancement.