Why do so many farang buy property in their wifes name?

whistling.gif It may seem strange to you....but if you are married and have offspring with your Thai wife you may want them to have a future after you pass away.

Some people may have lived with a Thai wife for 30 or 40 years.... and actually care for and love her and their children.

A million Baht providing for them a place to live after you pass away is a good choice....the money will mean absolutely nothing to you once you pass away anyhow.

You came into this world naked, without a procession to your name, and covered in slime....you will probably go out of this world the same way.

Caring for someone, doesn't mean they care for you.

No matter how much you delude yourself.

A million bhat? good luck finding a woman that will settle for a house worth that little these days.

Not to mention, I would like to ensure I don't leave this world early, shortly after spending 10Mbht on a house for a woman.

I love and care about ME.

And I know that love is true!

Well, the two ends of the spectrum of this topic are quintessentially summarised in the two posts above.

I grew up dirt poor, raised by a single mum in welfare housing, and she died when I was a teenager. Worked hard, put myself through school, started a business with nothing but thin air as collateral, had some luck and then retired at 45 to Thailand. I never bought a house and always rented (through my company) as it was a good tax deduction.

As I have posted on my other threads, I am now with a Thai girl who rocks my world. She has not asked me for one cent, and is thifty with every baht. She never complained once about renting. She never suggested we buy a house.

We have recently located a block of land here, 5 minutes from the beach with a small rendered brick two bedroom house built to about lock up stage. Thai lady owner recently divorced and now broke.

Her asking price is 500KTHB, it is full title nor sor sam gor with deed.

I intend to buy this property, in my girl's name, and I have already inquired at the local land office and they told me that it is possible to register a life usufruct interest in my name on the back of the deed.

Worst case scenario is that I loose 500KTHB.

Best case scenario is that I have a little beach shack, with enough land for a garden and garage, something to tinker with, a yellow tabien ban (issued to me as an usufructiary), and my girl has a little security for her future.

I have mulled this over a great deal lying in bed the last few nights.

Nobody is more careful with their money than me, when I was young I was homeless and sleeping in my car more times than I care to recall, but the worst case scenario isn't that scary really.

When you guys focus upon the possibilty of losing a house through divorce or deceipt here in Thailand, I think you are missing the elephant in the room.

Sooner or later some countries are going to start defaulting on their debt and we will enter a war mongering cycle once again.

What rights to a Thai Visa will an Australian, American, or British expat retain when America goes to war with China?

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are pros and cons of renting vs owning. If you think renting is better for you, I have no issues with that. As for me, I prefer owning my place. Main reason is because I believe in long term land value appreciation, lower cost (I pay 100%, no mortgage) and it gives me the flexibility to do what I want on my own land. I also think that having some property/land here in the country you live in, is not such a bad thing. Especially if it's your own place you stay in.

Why do so many people write the word "farang" in the middle of an English sentence?

Is it because they don't actually know what it means in English, or are they showing their ignorance and its the only Thai word they know?

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".

Two big reasons that I can see.

The first- is that Thailand is a little cleverer in this department than for example England (My home country) We as foreigners cannot own the dirt we walk on here it belongs to Thai's. Sidenote I wish England thought about this many years ago.

The second - There is a clue in your question. Wife IE lifelong partner, lover, the person you love, the person you want to take care of, the mother of your children, the grandmother of your grandchildren.

You're forgetting that for many the buying of a house is part of the deal. For example, said foreigner 50+ gets to marry said woman 20 years younger if said farang buys a house for here/her family and pays a monthly stipend to take care of said woman's kids. In return he gets to fondle a young woman every night, and someone to cook and clean up after him as he ages. This probably works quite well, until the woman realises she doesn't need to be fondled anymore to keep the house, car and any money she's saved up, and that she doesn't need to wait on him hand and foot, or be nice to him anymore. And so the problems begin...

Mine bought the house on a 30 year home loan,

No fondle = no house repayment!

So you pay for sex, how ugly, surely there must be a better way.

I've had sex with women I loved (and who professed to love me), I've had sex with women I paid (sometimes in a straight cash transaction).

The paid for sex has always been CONSIDERABLY better than the free sex.

I admit, it shouldn't be that way, but in my experience it was.

Probably my biggest disappointment in life!

Sometimes,I go out to bars and buy the girls drinks (not often at my age), they flatter me, squeeze against me and suggest rude things (no sex).

When was the last time the woman you love did that sort of stuff for you?

(The usual answer is not since the day she moved in)

It's funny that those who profess to love you, generally make no effort to flirt or stimulate you.

Maybe I just chose to live with the wrong women?

I am sad to hear of your experiences.

I can only assume you look and smell like the Elephant Man.

You're forgetting that for many the buying of a house is part of the deal. For example, said foreigner 50+ gets to marry said woman 20 years younger if said farang buys a house for here/her family and pays a monthly stipend to take care of said woman's kids. In return he gets to fondle a young woman every night, and someone to cook and clean up after him as he ages. This probably works quite well, until the woman realises she doesn't need to be fondled anymore to keep the house, car and any money she's saved up, and that she doesn't need to wait on him hand and foot, or be nice to him anymore. And so the problems begin...

Nail on head, right there

I think the farang that buys land and real estate in his wife's name does so to sweeten the terms of what is - in many cases - little more than a contract of employment.

He knows that he's got to make his side of the table look inviting and, I'm sorry, but the pension of a bald, overweight 60-70 year old ex-plumber with gout and a trick hip isn't much consolation when she's going to have to pretend to enjoy having sex with him for quite some time

Each to their own of course but, if the intention is to leave an inheritance or something, wouldn't it be cheaper and less risky for a man to take out a term assurance policy and make his wife/GF the beneficiary without telling her about it?

I've had sex with women I loved (and who professed to love me), I've had sex with women I paid (sometimes in a straight cash transaction).

Sometimes,I go out to bars and buy the girls drinks (not often at my age), they flatter me, squeeze against me and suggest rude things (no sex).

It's funny that those who profess to love you, generally make no effort to flirt or stimulate you.

I genuinely feel sorry for you, mate.

The women who've claimed to love me have gone and still do go out of their way to titillate me.

It's GOT to be a problem at your end

Edited by Cypress Hill

I am sad to hear of your experiences.

I can only assume you look and smell like the Elephant Man.

I'm about as athletic and attractive as any 60yo man can be ................

The women who've claimed to love me have gone and still do go out of their way to titillate me.

You've never had a proper relationship with a woman, as you have posted many times.

No wife, no children, no family.

Hookers is all you ever had, so not all that surprising an outcome from your POV.

Sure there are loads of guys on this forum that never tried hookers, but never trying a real relationship is just weird!

whistling.gif It may seem strange to you....but if you are married and have offspring with your Thai wife you may want them to have a future after you pass away.

Some people may have lived with a Thai wife for 30 or 40 years.... and actually care for and love her and their children.

A million Baht providing for them a place to live after you pass away is a good choice....the money will mean absolutely nothing to you once you pass away anyhow.

You came into this world naked, without a procession to your name, and covered in slime....you will probably go out of this world the same way.

Caring for someone, doesn't mean they care for you.

No matter how much you delude yourself.

A million bhat? good luck finding a woman that will settle for a house worth that little these days.

Not to mention, I would like to ensure I don't leave this world early, shortly after spending 10Mbht on a house for a woman.

I love and care about ME.

And I know that love is true!

Karma can be such a bitch!

Good luck! You're gonna need it with that attitude!

Karma. You gotta be kidding me.

So, how much did you plonk away on something that you don't own?

If you want to build a house for your wife and family that's fine, but the Thai government should at least acknowledge that you are partial owner to something that you paid in full. As of right now, you have no claim to land or to a house. If you get sick and you need to pay for hospital bills or some other emergency do you have the right to sell that house like most normal people do in the west, or are you at the mercy of your loving Thai family? I am afraid you know the answer all too well, but you choose the ignorant option. It's ok, we all have out insecurities (myself included), but experience and not "karma" teaches us survival instincts.

Karma. I sure am having a good laff reading some posts here.

You don't know me. You don't know my wife. You don't know her/my family. You don't know anything about my experience.

And yet you presume so much.

You are wrong on so many levels.

I am 67 and have enough experience of life, including life in Thailand, to have have learned much from that experience.

OK, maybe I am one of the lucky ones but my wife, our son and my wife's family are the bedrock of my life and whatever I choose to do for them is my business and not yours!

Peace and love man!

I love you too. Don't take this bickering personally. I'm just sticking to my beliefs.

My bargirl and I are together for 15 years and still enjoying every moment. After all these years, whatever property I buy or money I spend for her or her family is done with pleasure. No regrets and if I would loose it all tomorrow, the only thing I would miss is her smile. I can't help all the people in need, but I can support one girl and her family and why would I need guarantees for this?

Maybe because we already had kids together, and, yes, it was easier.

But it's not like I was a retiree and it was my life savings. I was still working, and in my early 30s.

My wife has never complained that our houses in Spain and the UK are in my name, so what does it matter if the house in Thailand is in hers...

P.S. Still married - and it's 15 years since we bought the house, that we still own - no longer even has a mortgage on it...

My bargirl and I are together for 15 years and still enjoying every moment. After all these years, whatever property I buy or money I spend for her or her family is done with pleasure. No regrets and if I would loose it all tomorrow, the only thing I would miss is her smile. I can't help all the people in need, but I can support one girl and her family and why would I need guarantees for this?

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

One reads these posts and one starts to wonder if these white Europeans who Diss everything thai that wears a skirt are jealous of the other white Europeans who openly and genuinely love and respect there wives/girlfriends. And enjoy a good strong healthy love life and don't mind spending there OWN money on a house/land one definitely thinks the green eyed monster has bitten them

One reads these posts and one starts to wonder if these white Europeans who Diss everything thai that wears a skirt are jealous of the other white Europeans who openly and genuinely love and respect there wives/girlfriends. And enjoy a good strong healthy love life and don't mind spending there OWN money on a house/land one definitely thinks the green eyed monster has bitten them

I openly and genuinely love and respect my Thai girlfriend. I respect the fact that she has a job and bought and paid for the house herself.

Interesting this topic has come up following and absolute flood of threads relating to horribly failed relationships. Marriage is a religious based charade propagated now by government in the form of benefits only for people married with a legal ceremony. It implies that people who just love each other (mind you, gay or straight) are not entitled to the same benefits until they (he) is willing to commit to massive financial loss in the event of a breakup. It is archaic and should be abolished forth with. This is why a prenup, while frowned upon and unromantic, is the only course of action. Since government has integrated business into marriage, a proper contract should be drawn up as with any good business agreement.

FARANG!!! FARANG!!! I like how people don't like this term, but they still come to Thailand....FARANG!! YOU ARE FARANG!!!!

These people buy houses because they have no friends back home. They clearly had issues; hence they are in Thailand. They have guilt over how they treated others, and this is how they think they get back good Karma.

i have issues......but haven't lost the plot.......yet

If you cannot afford to buy house, no true love for you!!! lol. when the money runs out, love is over.......seems like a good life.

i wish every country did the same thing......come to America and spend 1 million on a house. then an American can just take it later......good investment

Edited by puukao

You've never had a proper relationship with a woman, as you have posted many times.

Hookers is all you ever had, so not all that surprising an outcome from your POV.

Sure there are loads of guys on this forum that never tried hookers, but never trying a real relationship is just weird!

Depends on your definition of a "proper relationship"

One doesn't need to swear oaths in front of a vicar to have a loving relationship. If only you'd known that before squandering 20+ years with a frigid ex-wife.

As for hookers being all I've ever had, please don't make up lies about me.

Of course on Thai Visa, naturally most married to well educated, hard working, well spoken females, half the age and weight and naturally its true love.

Reality most of the time is very different

I fully understand the notion of leaving her something for when one passes, HOWEVER 2 things to consider.

One, if married with such a true love, why would one pass before her? the answer would be because she is half the age,, in which case how true is the love.

Second, nothing wrong with taking care of someone after passing, but there are wills where one can leave everything to wife and kids.

So yes, why buy property ONLY in her name?

In reality, because this is what she wants and insists on, and naturally loving foreign husband provides to ensure lasting love

I have tried having real relationships for many years, but sadly they all turned out to be hookers one way or another :(

Of course there are many definitions of what hooker may mean.

To me, the moment i am suppose to provide living allowance and/or support the family, it is a hooker.

Might add..

Renters are going to always have options...

I noticed many relationships that work..without buying.

That is more a sign of an authentic relationship.

Then there are those that fall into the category of "No House/ No Marriage"...

Poor saps....fall right into it. thumbsup.gif

No House No Marriage not a bad idea. My g/f has a piece of land and after I pass she will have some money. I cautioned her to find a guy with money and let him build the house and keep hers in the bank.

Nice stories are not interesting.

Bad stories are self-satisfaction : I'm happy to read one guy has a worse life than mine.

And most important, I don't speak her language because she speaks English.

If you smiled reading the above, you know the answer to the topic.

If not, build a house on her name and you'll know the answer too.

Cheers, going to get drunk and build a house ;)

Interesting this topic has come up following and absolute flood of threads relating to horribly failed relationships. Marriage is a religious based charade propagated now by government in the form of benefits only for people married with a legal ceremony. It implies that people who just love each other (mind you, gay or straight) are not entitled to the same benefits until they (he) is willing to commit to massive financial loss in the event of a breakup. It is archaic and should be abolished forth with. This is why a prenup, while frowned upon and unromantic, is the only course of action. Since government has integrated business into marriage, a proper contract should be drawn up as with any good business agreement.

As mentioned before, the Amphur marriage includes prenup.

After the marriage, all assets obtained, from whatever source are shared 50/50 and should there be a divorce, said assets are to be sold and shared 50/50.

However, I do agree that the Thai gov should introduce changes to give fair tenure to both parties because, the reality can be that "a big brother(s)" may turn up and unbalance things. Not to mention a five year marriage extension, same as my wife gets in Spain !

Did I read that Thailand have family courts for this sort of thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Divorce rates are high everywhere. If you divorce in Thailand you'll get 50% of the property each, so it makes no difference whose name it's in. I will buy in wife's name soon simply because it's easier that way. If we end up getting divorced (unlikely), well that's life. What's the alternative? Live alone in a cheap studio like many on here do? No thanks. It might work for some of you but it doesn't work for me.

Why anyone would buy property here is beyond me for sure ...

For me it will be to live in. I could rent, as I've been doing for the last 5 years, but I've never seen a house for rent that I'd be happy to live in. So we'll by and renovate so that it suits us perfectly. The other alternative is rent somewhere we're not 100% happy. It's beyond me why someone would want to do that.

I don't see any difference to buy a house here compared to buying in UK, USA, etc. A home's a home everywhere.

I have tried having real relationships for many years, but sadly they all turned out to be hookers one way or another sad.png

Of course there are many definitions of what hooker may mean.

To me, the moment i am suppose to provide living allowance and/or support the family, it is a hooker.

You should ask yourself why you make the same mistakes over and over again. Learn from past mistakes and make a better choice next time.

Of course on Thai Visa, naturally most married to well educated, hard working, well spoken females, half the age and weight and naturally its true love.

Reality most of the time is very different

I fully understand the notion of leaving her something for when one passes, HOWEVER 2 things to consider.

One, if married with such a true love, why would one pass before her? the answer would be because she is half the age,, in which case how true is the love.

Second, nothing wrong with taking care of someone after passing, but there are wills where one can leave everything to wife and kids.

So yes, why buy property ONLY in her name?

In reality, because this is what she wants and insists on, and naturally loving foreign husband provides to ensure lasting love

My colleague who lives in Bangkok has only ever taken 1 Bar Girl, all his lady friends are well educated with good jobs, own cars and property in their late twenties, he meets them vis Internet Dating Sites. When I ask him how they acummulate all this wealth at such an early age he replies they have good jobs. Really annoys him when I say they are just online 'hookers'.

Why anyone would buy property here is beyond me for sure ...

For me it will be to live in. I could rent, as I've been doing for the last 5 years, but I've never seen a house for rent that I'd be happy to live in. So we'll by and renovate so that it suits us perfectly. The other alternative is rent somewhere we're not 100% happy. It's beyond me why someone would want to do that.

I don't see any difference to buy a house here compared to buying in UK, USA, etc. A home's a home everywhere.

At least in the UK, USA you will be able to sell it.