Why do so many farang buy property in their wifes name?

the simple answer is we are stupid. I did it too, ..ruined my retirement ,...... left me penniless because I was too concerned about her and their family, when all they wanted to do was take everything, .. and I mean EVERYTHING from me

Don't do it is my advice! Buy a nice condo in your own name and if she leaves, ...so what!!!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a number of the post's explain, foreigners cannot own land, if they have a Thai Company they can but basically the company will only be able to have 49%. The company will have to have around 4-6 Thai Nationals holding 51% of the company.

Not sure you are 100% correct there.

Two would suffice.

the simple answer is we are stupid. I did it too, ..ruined my retirement ,...... left me penniless because I was too concerned about her and their family, when all they wanted to do was take everything, .. and I mean EVERYTHING from me

Don't do it is my advice! Buy a nice condo in your own name and if she leaves, ...so what!!!

well if you put all your money/asset into one property, that's not smart here or anywhere else. Recommend to diversify your investments. And if all you have is enough for one house or condo, then you should rent and not buy property.

The 60's changed all that and we would divorce and try again in pursuit of happiness but without having learned anything about how to compromise to achieve a happy relationship. Thus, as someone posted, repeating the same mistakes over and over.

In the 60s what changed is women became empowered to asset strip their husbands.

Divorce isn't about happiness in the west it's women about grabbing money they didn't earn.

Most guys I know (including me) wouldn't have divorced their western wives, they were relatively happy.

It's mainly the women that do the divorcing. They don't need a husband when they have have all he owns and a house full of cats.

Perhaps I must be different then because I divorced my first wife, signed over the house to her which she later sold at a profit (good for her) and after my decree absolute came through I married for the second time to my current Thai wife.

I bought her some extra land next to the plot she already owned and paid for the house to be built I also bought more land and built a shop for my wife for her and our sons future when I die.

So to sum up, I have bought 2 house, one for each wife. My ex wife in the UK owns hers free and clear. My current wife here in Thailand owns the house and land free and clear. I own my personal stuff, the truck which I sold to my second wife for 20 baht (which she still owes me), 2 motorbikes and do you know what? I am happy that I could do that for both of them. biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I feel so sorry for all you guys that have been burned both in the UK and in Thailand.

OTOH I feel so lucky in my life that I have met and loved 2 women who loved me and sad that I had to divorce one to marry the other.

If my life ended tomorrow my only regrets are that I would never see my Thai wife and son again nor my UK son, his wife and my grandchildren either.

I don't think so. I think you need to take a real look at yourself. This happens in the West as well. Some people seem to seek out the same type of relationship again and again, despite the same bad outcomes. Happens a lot with domestic abuse. Some women have a habit of picking men that are abusers over and over again. With help they can learn to make better choices. Perhaps you can as well. But I think you would rather blame others. Maybe it's too painful to take a long hard look at yourself.

As i said, i am not delusional, but it would be impossible to explain to a delusional person

My neighbor is what you would call not a hooker and a good girl, she owns 6 houses and 2 cars. What delusional people like yourself do not know, is that she is on her 6th marriage to a foreigner where each one buys a townhouse and gets thrown out 6 months later.

Let me put it to you this way, i moved to Thailand 15 years ago when i was 25-26 years old.

I work full time and live a pretty busy life.

Someone as young as myself, with business, has little higher chances than a pensioner or 50 plus year old to pull in a decent girl, not because i am a sexy man, but because i am younger, working and speaking the language as oppose to someone retired, knowing 3 words in thai and all with wrong tones(yes i am sure you speak fluent thai after 6 years) and counting every baht.

To know the good, one must experience the bad, otherwise no way of knowing what the good is.

You are delusional to think that most married or hanging around foreigners are "good" girls.

You are even more delusional to think their house or a car was purchased by them and not an ex sucker.

Truth, which you may not have learned to realize yet, or choosing to ignore is that being with foreigner has a bad stigma to it. It is NOT something "good" girls strive for and it is looked down upon.

For poor Isaan farmers it is a step up in their village, but it is a step up which they make to ensure financial stability, NOT because you are such a great lover.

Truth being told, they do not even listen to you, because they do not understand you and do not want to understand or learn. They come from a completely different world, which you will never understand, no matter how much you like to tell yourself you do.

Naturally there are exceptions in REAL world, not the delusional one, but in REAL world, Thai/foreigner couples are close in age and weight and both come from an equal socially economic backgrounds and standings.

Good girls do not go in dating sites hunting foreigners, good girls will be embarrassed to speak with you if you were to approach them.

My own example. Nine years ago when I was 29, we bought one rai for 70,000, then built a two bedroom house for 450,000. Not a big outlay, and we've done a lot of work together over the years for the garden. We don't have lots of money so we do things bit by bit. We did a path last year with collected shells laid into it, me mixing the cement and my wife laying it. A house is a labour of love and we enjoy going back there from Saudi. My two kids will get it when we croak. I don't see the big deal. No one has to spend 10 million either. On DD property there are perfectly decent houses staying at a million.

My own example. Nine years ago when I was 29, we bought one rai for 70,000, then built a two bedroom house for 450,000. Not a big outlay, and we've done a lot of work together over the years for the garden. We don't have lots of money so we do things bit by bit. We did a path last year with collected shells laid into it, me mixing the cement and my wife laying it. A house is a labour of love and we enjoy going back there from Saudi. My two kids will get it when we croak. I don't see the big deal. No one has to spend 10 million either. On DD property there are perfectly decent houses staying at a million.

The difference about your post is you probably have a lady the same age as you.The majority if not all posters have 'girlfriends' or wife's half their age who come to Thailand and leave common sense at the airport, 'fall in love' buy houses, bar etc and then disaster, divorce leaving them penniless, pension savings etc gone. Yes there are some good Thai ladies, I think I have one but they are few and far between.

because she different !!!! and because he lover with all his heart her he automatically believes she LOVES him despite the 30 years plus different in age.

I've told so many of these fools in the past not to do that only for them to say I was right 5 or 10 years later when they have lost it all. som nam na

These derogatory comments about age show that you are still imprisoned by the feminist diktat of the West.giggle.gif
It might be time to release you.

may be derogatory but never the less what I said it true. you just got to be tuned in to what going on here. for what its worth my g/f is 29 years younger than me but my house is in a company name and Im not getting rapped up in all that crap how much she loves me. im not interested .......................WAKE UP PLEASE bah.gif

The difference about your post is you probably have a lady the same age as you.The majority if not all posters have 'girlfriends' or wife's half their age who come to Thailand and leave common sense at the airport, 'fall in love' buy houses, bar etc and then disaster, divorce leaving them penniless, pension savings etc gone. Yes there are some good Thai ladies, I think I have one but they are few and far between.

my wife is 5 years younger than me and not half my age.

I don't think the ratio between (and I hate using this language to describe women) "good" girls and "bad" girls would be any different to any other country in the world. Your argument about pensioners and young prostitutes has some validity, but is it the fault of the girl that some knucklehead does his balls over some bar girl <deleted> then knocks off his pension? I would say not. No different than an average joe back home doing all his wages on piss, gambling and strippers week in, week out. The people you talk about aren't smart, weren't stood over and made a concious decision to spend their money in that fashion. Some can afford too better than others and choose to do so freely. I have zero sympathy for them because at that age you should know much better and for an old man to get outwitted by a farm girl with less than 6 years schooling is a fallacy. He wasn't outwitted he let his small head do the thinking and got what he deserved. Should have boxed smarter IMHO. I am also not making any judgement calls about older guys and young girls, up to them, but the ones that are happy and successful did their homework and due diligence and made the right choices. They just didn't jump off the plane with a truck load of cash and do their arse in their first 3-5 years in country.

Edited by Rimmer
vulgar

because she different !!!! and because he lover with all his heart her he automatically believes she LOVES him despite the 30 years plus different in age.

I've told so many of these fools in the past not to do that only for them to say I was right 5 or 10 years later when they have lost it all. som nam na

These derogatory comments about age show that you are still imprisoned by the feminist diktat of the West.giggle.gif

may be derogatory but never the less what I said it true. you just got to be tuned in to what going on here. for what its worth my g/f is 29 years younger than me but my house is in a company name and Im not getting rapped up in all that crap how much she loves me. im not interested .......................WAKE UP PLEASE bah.gif

We are almost in the same situation then. My wife is a pretty young ex bar girl and I am happy with she for over 5 years now.
But I have not wealth as like the grasshopper in the fable I have always spent lavishly too in my previous lives..
So why she stays with me from your perspective?
Go back to sleep on your certainties friend closedeyes.gif

We are almost in the same situation then. My wife is a pretty young ex bar girl and I am happy with she for over 5 years now.

But I have not wealth as like the grasshopper in the fable I have always spent lavishly too in my previous lives..

So why she stays with me from your perspective?

Go back to sleep on your certainties friend closedeyes.gif

She's stays with you because there is no such thing as ex-bar girl.

I am 56 and my Thai wife is 54. I must have met over a 100 Thai woman, but only fell in love with my (now) wife. I knew she was the one because I missed her when we were separated. All the others I never missed. I can't explain why I fell in love with only her. But I decided to follow my heart and follow her. That is why we have built a house and life together in Thailand.

But I did meet her family, and she met my family, before we considered marriage. I wanted to see what her sisters, parents and friends were like before making a commitment. I wanted to see her family in their home environment and how her friends reacted to me. She has been married twice before, as I had. I'm not interested in marrying again, but am happy to have found the one to settle down with and to share each others company in old age.

I have paid for the land and our house. I am happy sitting on our front veranda watching the fish jump in our dam and trees swaying on the breeze as the sun sets over the paddy fields in the distance. Sometimes a snake or frog swims across the dam and a snakehead fish, or alligator gar, snatches it in a swirling boil. I can see the clouds gathering into thunderheads on the horizon and the flickering lightning. I love it when it rains and I can see the water pouring off the roof and into the dam in a mad rush. The grass is alive with tiny frogs and the noise is deafening. I don't think about the future, but am content to enjoy the moment

These are just simple pleasures in day to day Thai life. We all get our happiness in different ways and, in Thailand, there are many pathways to happiness. But I think we all want and need love and companionship for our old age. There's nothing wrong in trying to find this. Maybe it takes a few tries to get it right. Some never get it right. But if you are in love, truly in love, and that love is returned, then you are lucky. You will do whatever is necessary to keep that love.

but is it the fault of the girl that some knucklehead does his balls over some bar girl that sucks a good cock and then knocks off his pension?

Good question, can I think of a better way to spend my pension?

Nope, you got me!

I am happy sitting on our front veranda watching the fish jump in our dam and trees swaying on the breeze as the sun sets over the paddy fields in the distance.

Not all of us are ready to die just yet.

At 56, that's just sad.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

but is it the fault of the girl that some knucklehead does his balls over some bar girl that sucks a good cock and then knocks off his pension?

Good question, can I think of a better way to spend my pension?

Nope, you got me!

I am happy sitting on our front veranda watching the fish jump in our dam and trees swaying on the breeze as the sun sets over the paddy fields in the distance.

Not all of us are ready to die just yet.

At 56, that's just sad.

Exactly right MaejoMTB and if that is what floats your boat go for it. Being a rig pig I spent most of my twenties and thirties sampling hookers worldwide with more money than any young man should have to spend. My first trip here was in '98 and after many years of spending 15000 + baht a night indulging my various habits i just got over it but have many friends whose idea of fun is still taking 2-3 young nubiles a day. Thats my point. The happy guys are happy while the bitter boys just keep on weeping. Have fun in what ever it is you do, we are all only here once, but if ya want to buy the ticket you got to take the ride.

For me, simple. Barring accidents, I shall croak many years before my wife. She is lucky in the respect that she will get half my pension for life when I go, currently worth about £50,000 baht per month. Many farang I know have no transferable pension, so buy farmland or rental properties to give the wife an income when they die. It is called caring for your family.

The 60's changed all that and we would divorce and try again in pursuit of happiness but without having learned anything about how to compromise to achieve a happy relationship. Thus, as someone posted, repeating the same mistakes over and over.

In the 60s what changed is women became empowered to asset strip their husbands.

Divorce isn't about happiness in the west it's women about grabbing money they didn't earn.

Most guys I know (including me) wouldn't have divorced their western wives, they were relatively happy.

It's mainly the women that do the divorcing. They don't need a husband when they have have all he owns and a house full of cats.

Perhaps I must be different then because I divorced my first wife, signed over the house to her which she later sold at a profit (good for her) and after my decree absolute came through I married for the second time to my current Thai wife.

I bought her some extra land next to the plot she already owned and paid for the house to be built I also bought more land and built a shop for my wife for her and our sons future when I die.

So to sum up, I have bought 2 house, one for each wife. My ex wife in the UK owns hers free and clear. My current wife here in Thailand owns the house and land free and clear. I own my personal stuff, the truck which I sold to my second wife for 20 baht (which she still owes me), 2 motorbikes and do you know what? I am happy that I could do that for both of them. biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I feel so sorry for all you guys that have been burned both in the UK and in Thailand.

OTOH I feel so lucky in my life that I have met and loved 2 women who loved me and sad that I had to divorce one to marry the other.

If my life ended tomorrow my only regrets are that I would never see my Thai wife and son again nor my UK son, his wife and my grandchildren either.

Great stuff, caring n sharing.

As I posted before, it took me almost my whole life to get my head round relationships.

Living in the moment and not Tinkin too mut is a good start!

Good idea to look inwards for the root of the problem rather than avoiding the truth and trying to blame others.

We make our choices and must pay for our mistakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whistling.gif It may seem strange to you....but if you are married and have offspring with your Thai wife you may want them to have a future after you pass away.

Some people may have lived with a Thai wife for 30 or 40 years.... and actually care for and love her and their children.

A million Baht providing for them a place to live after you pass away is a good choice....the money will mean absolutely nothing to you once you pass away anyhow.

You came into this world naked, without a procession to your name, and covered in slime....you will probably go out of this world the same way.

Caring for someone, doesn't mean they care for you.

No matter how much you delude yourself.

A million bhat? good luck finding a woman that will settle for a house worth that little these days.

Not to mention, I would like to ensure I don't leave this world early, shortly after spending 10Mbht on a house for a woman.

I love and care about ME.

And I know that love is true!

Karma can be such a bitch!

Good luck! You're gonna need it with that attitude!

If you want to have friends then first you have to be friendly. If you want to be loved then first you have to be lovable

whistling.gif It may seem strange to you....but if you are married and have offspring with your Thai wife you may want them to have a future after you pass away.

Some people may have lived with a Thai wife for 30 or 40 years.... and actually care for and love her and their children.

A million Baht providing for them a place to live after you pass away is a good choice....the money will mean absolutely nothing to you once you pass away anyhow.

You came into this world naked, without a procession to your name, and covered in slime....you will probably go out of this world the same way.

Caring for someone, doesn't mean they care for you.

No matter how much you delude yourself.

A million bhat? good luck finding a woman that will settle for a house worth that little these days.

Not to mention, I would like to ensure I don't leave this world early, shortly after spending 10Mbht on a house for a woman.

I love and care about ME.

And I know that love is true!

Karma can be such a bitch!

Good luck! You're gonna need it with that attitude!

That is a very aberrant mind or mindless. Self-centered and unable to love, not even themselves.

Lord have mercy and get them out of Thailand.

Don't worry, their off to Spain apparently where the grass is much greener

Well, first off 10 M Baht is a lot really the average house price in Thailand. It is closer to a luxury house here. I can't speak for Bangkok, where I am sure things are more expensive, but I can speak for Pattaya and Udon Thani. Having lived in both places, that 10 M buys you a real nice place. I would venture to say that 4 M Baht would be a good house their by most peoples standards.

I am not against renting and in fact I feel everyone should do this from the start of a relationship and/or to just get the feel of the place, and where you want to live. But after awhile, when you are committed to a Long Term Relationship or Stay, and/or decide to live here, then renting isn't the best option. Nobody can predict how your relationship will end up with your Thai Wife over time, and perhaps you will be left with nothing. But with renting you can be 100% sure Long Term that at the end of the day you will be left with nothing.

Just look at the economics of owning or renting over a 10 year period. If you want to live as cheaply as you can, and do't care about where you live, or you don't plan to stay here 10 years, then obviously renting is for you. Or sleeping on the beach. But if you are like most people I think, and prefer more luxury, then a nice place in Pattaya will set you back about 25,000 Baht a month to rent. They can be cheaper than this but I am looking at average over 10 years.

So for a 10 year average you spent 25,000 Baht a month, or 300,000 Baht a year, or 3 M Baht at the end of 10 years. If you walk away then you have zero to show for that money except a roof over your head for that time and having a landlord telling you what you can or can not do with his property. A property where you would be foolish to spend your own money to fix up the way you like as it does not belong to you.

But for this 3 M Baht you can get a decent house. Spend another 0.5 M baht and you can have it fixed up to a newer house. I know as I have done this last year. Since I prefer the Country Life over the Big City, my house also came with 25 Rai of land, or 4 Hectares. I expect to earn about 200,000 Baht this year from my crops and fruit trees, but more when my Rubber Trees are mature in a couple more years. So I now not only live rent free, but also have money coming in from my property, no matter how small. I have a huge garden to grow most of my own vegetables to and I don't have noisy people living behind me, as all of that in my own land.

There is a concern about putting the property in your wife's name, and as there should be. Especially if things go South, But there are ways where you can protect yourself from this and more ways here then you can in the West perhaps. In Thailand, there is a Land Title Lean on a property called the "Unufruct" which allows you to live on the property and do what you will with it for the rest of your life. This is similar to a Long Term Lease except the owner can not sell this property or put a mortgage on it. If the owner dies, this does not change things. Unless the new owner is you, which it would be if you are nmarried.

In addition to this Thailand has similar Divorce Laws when it comes to property acquired during the marriage. It is generally split 50/50. Of course if you don't show up in court, or your lawyer, and don't fight it, then the results would be the same as the West. So even though you can't own property in Thailand, with a "Usufruct" and Marriage, you can protect yourself somewhat. Nothing is 100% Protected in a Divorce!

Some Posters here have also pointed out leaving something for your wife and kids, and that is a very valid point they have made. How else can one do this? If you are young enough and in good health, then Life Insurance may be a good option. But what if you are not? Putting money in the bank is another option, but I venture to say that it is easier for your wife to move money than sell the house under your feet, without you knowing. If the money is in your own name then you better have a Will, and an Emergency Fund for the time it takes for her to get this money.

I am not knocking having Life Insurance or money in the Bank as both are good options. The problem I have with this is that neither you or your wife can benefit from this money right now and until you are dead. Bank Rates are so low I doubt they keep up with inflation. You are still also stuck paying rent all this time. But on the other hand, property generally keeps up with inflation over time, and even if on paper you don't own this property, you do get all the benefits as a co-owner.

So in summary, is it is wise to buy a house in your Girl Friend's Name? Is it wise to buy your Girl Friend a New Car in the West? So I think the most important part to your question is to first make sure you want to live here that long, and then make sure as best you can that the person you are with now is the one you see yourself with in 10 years. If the answer to both in "No", then simply don't buy anything here.

Sorry to all for getting carried away. . ,

One thing you must consider when buying must be location, size, and if you've over capitalized for the area. If things go South even if you thought you would be staying, or if you just want to move you may be waiting a long time to get your price or undersell to get out. the more expensive, the less available buyers.

there are pros and cons of renting vs owning. If you think renting is better for you, I have no issues with that. As for me, I prefer owning my place. Main reason is because I believe in long term land value appreciation, lower cost (I pay 100%, no mortgage) and it gives me the flexibility to do what I want on my own land. I also think that having some property/land here in the country you live in, is not such a bad thing. Especially if it's your own place you stay in.

Owning is great, and back in USA I owned 3 properties...

When an unmarried foreigner can own land, not just a condo or structure, or lease...I will be first to do.

there are pros and cons of renting vs owning. If you think renting is better for you, I have no issues with that. As for me, I prefer owning my place. Main reason is because I believe in long term land value appreciation, lower cost (I pay 100%, no mortgage) and it gives me the flexibility to do what I want on my own land. I also think that having some property/land here in the country you live in, is not such a bad thing. Especially if it's your own place you stay in.

When an unmarried foreigner can own land, not just a condo or structure, or lease...I will be first to do.

fair enough. This is just reality in Asia that most countries won't allow foreigners to own landed property. At least in Thailand there are some workarounds you can do with a company or as pointed out in this thread your wife or gf buys the property in her name. If this is not for you, then rent. Everyone needs to decide themselves. I won't judge anyone on whether they decide to buy or rent.

All this can be sumed up in one sentence in the end.

My money, my decision, my life, my wife.

Endex

And in 1 years time will have a thread which would be summed up

I was taken by my ex wife and have nothing left, what actions can i take?laugh.png

All this can be sumed up in one sentence in the end.

My money, my decision, my life, my wife.

Endex

And in 1 years time will have a thread which would be summed up

I was taken by my ex wife and have nothing left, what actions can i take?laugh.png

Not by me it won't.