Why do so many farang buy property in their wifes name?

Of course on Thai Visa, naturally most married to well educated, hard working, well spoken females, half the age and weight and naturally its true love.

Reality most of the time is very different

I fully understand the notion of leaving her something for when one passes, HOWEVER 2 things to consider.

One, if married with such a true love, why would one pass before her? the answer would be because she is half the age,, in which case how true is the love.

Second, nothing wrong with taking care of someone after passing, but there are wills where one can leave everything to wife and kids.

So yes, why buy property ONLY in her name?

In reality, because this is what she wants and insists on, and naturally loving foreign husband provides to ensure lasting love

My colleague who lives in Bangkok has only ever taken 1 Bar Girl, all his lady friends are well educated with good jobs, own cars and property in their late twenties, he meets them vis Internet Dating Sites. When I ask him how they acummulate all this wealth at such an early age he replies they have good jobs. Really annoys him when I say they are just online 'hookers'.

That's cause they are ;)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, individual foreigners can not own a house or land in thailand. So they have the wife buy it. I believe there was a bit of an issue or crackdown with the thai authorities checking on legitimate thai wives, so that they were not just fronts and a back door to let foreigners get money into the country and into a house. Foreigners can buy condos, with some restrictions.

I'd call that a pretty grey area.... there are no black and white rules, when it comes property in Thailand... Which may make some gun-shy. I have been on both sides of the fence.... It just depends on how one handles it, and also what areas one would talk about..... It is certainly up to each individual, and the circumstances that may evolve. I call it, the life happens scenario.... Maybe in the end it just depends on the character of the person that one will deals with. If they have the money and do it? That is their decision. Thailand has changed so much over the years, but so have other countries.

My advice is to take it day by day.... I am where I want to be and understand a little better. But it took years, and I find I am happy.....wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

Yet better said, keep your ducks in a row.... Then you will find peace.....biggrin.png

There's nothing grey about the laws in Thailand regarding foreigners owning land here, it's not allowed. Can those laws be broken, of course they can but so can any law.

The problem, as with most of these types of threads, is that the happy, contented, wise people that have made good choices and have wonderful lives don't feel the need to continually harp on about it. I would imagine that the happy guys, whether their wife was a bar girl or a hi-so white half chinese doctor took the time to know and live and love the person they were with before they started making executive decisions about property, houses cars and other assets they have acquired just like they would of anywhere else in the world. It is the natural born losers who made poor choices, got burnt, aren't smart and basically <deleted> up who are constantly dirty on the world and forever want to whinge and moan and make broad sweeping generalisations like "all Thai women", "all farang" blah blah blah ad nauseum. They need not only to blame others for their shortcomings but also wish ill on others in they vain hope they will make the same stupid mistakes they have. Simple fact is the whingers whinge and those that have great lives will continue on doing so.... end of.

People are mistaken when they say foreigners can't own property in Thailand - they can. A foreigner can 100% own a house in his own name, he just can't own the land it is built on.

Like the comment above says, maybe it is about security and leaving their wife something once they're gone. Maybe a lot of foreigners don't give it so much thought/don't care until they come into problems.

And as also mentioned above, divorce rates are high almost everywhere, not only in Thailand!

And you are mistaken also, foreigner can buy land in thailand. A minimum of 40 mln baht to invest and maximum of 1 rai of land for residential purpose, the law allows foreigners to own the land.

In a way you are both right. You can own land in Thailand up to 1 Rai with a 40 M Baht investment here, but there is a catch also. You need to keep that 40 M Baht investment here to be able to keep this land. So if you want to call this ownership, or lease, or whatever, I guess this is in the eye of the beholder.

Here is a lInk on that suject:

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/blog-thailand/doing-business-in-thailand/thailand-real-estate-doing-business-in-thailand/granting-all-foreigners-the-right-to-own-a-rai-of-land.html

Well I wouldn't call it a lease. You have many choices for the investment which could be your own company, a thai company, or the property itself. Even government bonds.

In general, individual foreigners can not own a house or land in thailand. So they have the wife buy it. I believe there was a bit of an issue or crackdown with the thai authorities checking on legitimate thai wives, so that they were not just fronts and a back door to let foreigners get money into the country and into a house. Foreigners can buy condos, with some restrictions.

Foreigners can buy houses in Thailand, they cannot buy the land it is built on.

Quite a few sell the house (for a fraction of what is invested in it) when their 'beloved Western husband' passes away. Back to the village where they now have so many friends, 6 months down the line it has all gone, drank, gambled and donations to the new (or not new) younger Thai boyfriend.

So the security that was left for her has gone and it is back to square one !

I dare to say that my Thai Wife of 8 years, and being in her mid 30's now, and to my knowledge, has not had a drink of alcohol in all of her life. Nor has her Mother or Sister. In fact I have been to many socials including weddings and funerals here and I have never seen one woman here have a drink of alcohol. But I have seen plenty of men do this.

I know as I live in a Thai Village, and it is not anything like you have described in your post, There is no Older Thai Woman living here with a Young Thai Man, unless that is her Son. I do not know any Thai Woman who would be foolish enough to sell her property for a fraction of the price when she could get a realtor to list it at a discount, and get a fare price. But then if her husband was wise enough and caring enough as to where his wife wanted to live, and instead of buying the property close to a Bar, where he can go and get drunk everyday with his friends, she wouldn't have to sell this property. Would she?

Perhaps before you judge all Thai Women you should come here first, and spend sometime off of Walking Street. I can't count all the times I have seen the young guys come here there first time, and think all Thai Women are Bar Girls, and for hire. Even when they are with their husbands. Or better yet, go to Turkey, and watch all the Fat and Ugly Middle Aged White Women walking around with a Young Turk Boy under her arm, after a successful divorce in the West. You need to open your eyes to reality an not speak of a place you know nothing about.

Firstly, I did not insinuate that it is ALL Thai women, I did say 'quite a few', some are drinkers or like a gamble and a nice house in their name is an easy way to access quick money.

Secondly, I first came to Thailand 24 years ago, chose to live here for the last 10 years, live in a reasonably large city and have not been to Pattaya, Phuket or the likes for over 8 years. I am not making this story up, I am just saying it has happened before and will probably happen again, albeit with a minority of girls.

If you are offended because you thought I meant all Thai women would do the same, I apologize.

I do not post on here to provoke controversy, but merely to let people know of things that have happened in the past, and could happen again.

Remember, the vast majority of Thais only live for today and will face tomorrow when it comes !

It's always going to very difficult to know if the 'girlfriend' is genuine, some one in general who is half your age. I don't believe that these Thai girls actually love their partners. I have a lady who cooks, cleans launders my cloths by hand, said washing machines don't clean them properly, the perfect little house wife. I am 63, she is 36, I don't give her any money apart from a few hundred baht for cloths when we go to the Market. I pay for all her toiletries and supply the food, takes her for ever going round the supermarket as she will always look for the bargains.

She never shows any emotion but is this aThai thing, she might not see her family for a few weeks and they just look at each other when they meet up. She will send me cartoon messages online about her feelings for me, do I believe them, to a certain point. I would never buy a property in Thailand, rent only as I might want to travel at some point. Would I leave her any money, possibly, I think she has a very good heart but I some times wish she would show her feelings, if she has any for me which might convince me I am not a 'meal ticket' then I would consider her genuine.

The majority of Thais are notoriously good liars, I dont think half the time they know they are doing it,must be inbred in them, at the end of the day we are 'walking ATMs ' and millionaires to them.

It would appear that a number of skinflints are just looking for a cheap skivvy and are proud of the fact that they have snared one when they have.

Not a skinflint far from it just keeping my sensible head on, what I didn't mention is she has a child not mine who I also look after !

The problem, as with most of these types of threads, is that the happy, contented, wise people that have made good choices and have wonderful lives don't feel the need to continually harp on about it. I would imagine that the happy guys, whether their wife was a bar girl or a hi-so white half Chinese doctor took the time to know and live and love the person they were with before they started making executive decisions about property, houses cars and other assets they have acquired just like they would of anywhere else in the world. It is the natural born losers who made poor choices, got burnt, aren't smart and basically <deleted> up who are constantly dirty on the world and forever want to whinge and moan and make broad sweeping generalisations like "all Thai women", "all farang" blah blah blah ad nauseum. They need not only to blame others for their shortcomings but also wish ill on others in they vain hope they will make the same stupid mistakes they have. Simple fact is the whingers whinge and those that have great lives will continue on doing so.... end of.

There are many more of us living happily in Thailand with our Thai wives and families with the land and property in our wives name than there are moaning whingers on forums like this.

Why anyone would buy property here is beyond me for sure ...

For me it will be to live in. I could rent, as I've been doing for the last 5 years, but I've never seen a house for rent that I'd be happy to live in. So we'll by and renovate so that it suits us perfectly. The other alternative is rent somewhere we're not 100% happy. It's beyond me why someone would want to do that.

I don't see any difference to buy a house here compared to buying in UK, USA, etc. A home's a home everywhere.

At least in the UK, USA you will be able to sell it.

No reason not to be able to sell it here. I see houses bought and sold all the time. But I don't plan to buy an over-priced "farang" house in a small town village, as that would obviously be difficult to sell. I know quite a few people that have sold their houses and bought new ones in the last few years. They will sell if priced correctly.

Also, I'm planning a long-term purchase, so doubt I'll need to sell. I wouldn't buy if I only planned to stay a few years. But I've been here almost 6 years and know pretty much what areas I'd buy in.

Obviously you don't know, but there are plenty of areas in USA where it's virtually impossible to sell a house.

Edited by ldnguy

You must factor into this "home purchase" vs rent equation

The loss of income on your B3M cost. I have several stocks

Paying between 6.2-8.2% per year annual dividends. If you

Take the lowest, 6.2%X3M=186000/yr.X10years=B1.86M+

Your initial B3M=B4.86M. Not going into compounding

Interest. Just as cheap to rent, no taxes, repairs, upkeep,

Major appliances to repair. You can leave the cash to

Anyone you choose, you have the freedom to move, city

To city or to a newer home ant time. I have a wonderful

Owner, first time in my adult life I have not owned property

And the freedom to relocate, no headaches about care for

Property while I travel is wonderful!!

You are or no longer talking about putting a roof over your head anymore but rather where is the best place to put your money. I to own a stock that pays 9% Dividend a year. It is a Liquor Stock which is a pretty safe investment in good times and bad. But do you want to know why this stock pays such a high Dividend now?

This stock paying 9% now trades at around $12 a Share, but last year it was trading at $16 and thus paying 6.75%. In less than 1 year it dropped 33% on no good reason other then world stock markets crashing. This is a loss of 33% on paper for all of your investment. I got out around $15 as I felt it was too high but also I was buying a house and I wanted everything in cash. I bought back in now at a price of $11.50 as this seems low to me and I have my property already.

You sound like a wise investor but consider many people aren't. Many people lose money in the stock market. But seldom, if ever, they will lose 33% of their total investment in a house in one year, unless they are going through a Divorce. You can overpay for a house and property just like you can overpay for a stock. The big difference is that at least the home buyer has a roof over his head after all is said and done and the investor has huge loses on paper and is still paying rent. I have owned stocks all my life and I have never found one that was smooth sailing all the way. You make it sound too easy when it is not.

I have tried having real relationships for many years, but sadly they all turned out to be hookers one way or another sad.png

Of course there are many definitions of what hooker may mean.

To me, the moment i am suppose to provide living allowance and/or support the family, it is a hooker.

You should ask yourself why you make the same mistakes over and over again. Learn from past mistakes and make a better choice next time.

May be because I am not delusional and call spade a spade.

I don't think so. I think you need to take a real look at yourself. This happens in the West as well. Some people seem to seek out the same type of relationship again and again, despite the same bad outcomes. Happens a lot with domestic abuse. Some women have a habit of picking men that are abusers over and over again. With help they can learn to make better choices. Perhaps you can as well. But I think you would rather blame others. Maybe it's too painful to take a long hard look at yourself.

The problem, as with most of these types of threads, is that the happy, contented, wise people that have made good choices and have wonderful lives don't feel the need to continually harp on about it. I would imagine that the happy guys, whether their wife was a bar girl or a hi-so white half Chinese doctor took the time to know and live and love the person they were with before they started making executive decisions about property, houses cars and other assets they have acquired just like they would of anywhere else in the world. It is the natural born losers who made poor choices, got burnt, aren't smart and basically <deleted> up who are constantly dirty on the world and forever want to whinge and moan and make broad sweeping generalisations like "all Thai women", "all farang" blah blah blah ad nauseum. They need not only to blame others for their shortcomings but also wish ill on others in they vain hope they will make the same stupid mistakes they have. Simple fact is the whingers whinge and those that have great lives will continue on doing so.... end of.

There are many more of us living happily in Thailand with our Thai wives and families with the land and property in our wives name than there are moaning whingers on forums like this.

Fink many wingers don't even live here. Thebladder comes to mind......bah.gif

That sickening "disease" is one of the more worthless parasites to have infected Thailand over the last few years.

You're forgetting that for many the buying of a house is part of the deal. For example, said foreigner 50+ gets to marry said woman 20 years younger if said farang buys a house for here/her family and pays a monthly stipend to take care of said woman's kids. In return he gets to fondle a young woman every night, and someone to cook and clean up after him as he ages. This probably works quite well, until the woman realises she doesn't need to be fondled anymore to keep the house, car and any money she's saved up, and that she doesn't need to wait on him hand and foot, or be nice to him anymore. And so the problems begin...

Your observations are very accurate.

You could add that most farangs cement over their problems by injecting a little more cash.

People are mistaken when they say foreigners can't own property in Thailand - they can. A foreigner can 100% own a house in his own name, he just can't own the land it is built on.

Like the comment above says, maybe it is about security and leaving their wife something once they're gone. Maybe a lot of foreigners don't give it so much thought/don't care until they come into problems.

And as also mentioned above, divorce rates are high almost everywhere, not only in Thailand!

And you are mistaken also, foreigner can buy land in thailand. A minimum of 40 mln baht to invest and maximum of 1 rai of land for residential purpose, the law allows foreigners to own the land.

In a way you are both right. You can own land in Thailand up to 1 Rai with a 40 M Baht investment here, but there is a catch also. You need to keep that 40 M Baht investment here to be able to keep this land. So if you want to call this ownership, or lease, or whatever, I guess this is in the eye of the beholder.

Here is a lInk on that suject:

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/blog-thailand/doing-business-in-thailand/thailand-real-estate-doing-business-in-thailand/granting-all-foreigners-the-right-to-own-a-rai-of-land.html

Well I wouldn't call it a lease. You have many choices for the investment which could be your own company, a thai company, or the property itself. Even government bonds.

On a "Technicality" you would be correct. But in the "Reality" I wonder how many of us here would want to keep 40 M Baht in Thailand. I suppose if you were from Nigeria, or Afghanistan, or perhaps Iran, this would be a good deal for you as this money would also insure a Visa for you to live here.

Your money has to be in Liquid Assets, like money in the bank or bonds, and why you can't use the property you buy as part of the 40 M Baht. So I would gather from this that your business value would not count either. Unless it was in approved bonds, which wouldn't be as this company would be Foreign Owned. But I stand corrected.

Personally I would rather keep my money in my home country and trust my wife with only 4 M for the house. Setting up and emergency fund here and a Will should take care of that later. But each to there own.

Foreigners can buy houses in Thailand, they cannot buy the land it is built on.

Great if your choice of House is a House Boat. But other then that what are you going to do with a house when you have no place to put it? Move it around like a Camper Van or Mobile Home?

Quite a few sell the house (for a fraction of what is invested in it) when their 'beloved Western husband' passes away. Back to the village where they now have so many friends, 6 months down the line it has all gone, drank, gambled and donations to the new (or not new) younger Thai boyfriend.

So the security that was left for her has gone and it is back to square one !

I dare to say that my Thai Wife of 8 years, and being in her mid 30's now, and to my knowledge, has not had a drink of alcohol in all of her life. Nor has her Mother or Sister. In fact I have been to many socials including weddings and funerals here and I have never seen one woman here have a drink of alcohol. But I have seen plenty of men do this.

I know as I live in a Thai Village, and it is not anything like you have described in your post, There is no Older Thai Woman living here with a Young Thai Man, unless that is her Son. I do not know any Thai Woman who would be foolish enough to sell her property for a fraction of the price when she could get a realtor to list it at a discount, and get a fare price. But then if her husband was wise enough and caring enough as to where his wife wanted to live, and instead of buying the property close to a Bar, where he can go and get drunk everyday with his friends, she wouldn't have to sell this property. Would she?

Perhaps before you judge all Thai Women you should come here first, and spend sometime off of Walking Street. I can't count all the times I have seen the young guys come here there first time, and think all Thai Women are Bar Girls, and for hire. Even when they are with their husbands. Or better yet, go to Turkey, and watch all the Fat and Ugly Middle Aged White Women walking around with a Young Turk Boy under her arm, after a successful divorce in the West. You need to open your eyes to reality an not speak of a place you know nothing about.

Firstly, I did not insinuate that it is ALL Thai women, I did say 'quite a few', some are drinkers or like a gamble and a nice house in their name is an easy way to access quick money.

Secondly, I first came to Thailand 24 years ago, chose to live here for the last 10 years, live in a reasonably large city and have not been to Pattaya, Phuket or the likes for over 8 years. I am not making this story up, I am just saying it has happened before and will probably happen again, albeit with a minority of girls.

If you are offended because you thought I meant all Thai women would do the same, I apologize.

I do not post on here to provoke controversy, but merely to let people know of things that have happened in the past, and could happen again.

Remember, the vast majority of Thais only live for today and will face tomorrow when it comes !

No, you did not insinuate all Thai Women. You only insinuated all Thai Women who are married to Western Men, which included me and my wife, and many others here who have good marriages, and who also live in places you described. Which means they also know what you said about them and the village is totally false..

But I do accept your apology as it takes a big man to do that.

I do not see what all the fuss is about I bought my first wife a home (she never worked during our 25 year marriage) she left me the courts gave her half, what is the difference with here or anywhere else in the world?

Yes I am lucky now my Thai wife bought our home, and she came home yesterday with a surprise she had just bought another 14 rai of land from her auntie, again her money not mine, not all Thai lady's are out to make a quick buck out of western men.

Yes I am lucky now my Thai wife bought our home, and she came home yesterday with a surprise she had just bought another 14 rai of land from her auntie, again her money not mine, not all Thai lady's are out to make a quick buck out of western men.

Awesome trolling.

OK, so why to buy houses in a Thai wife's name?

Well for many of us, our pensions go when we go, there is no pension for our widow.

Some on here have mentioned that they have bought assets in their wife's name to give them an income after they pass. As I also have so what's wrong with that, nothing as long as you choose your wife wisely.

About foreigners owning property.

In Spain under Franko only the Spanish could own land and property and prices were stable.

After Franko foreigners were allowed to buy and prices sky rocketed until locals could not afford to buy.

Then, due to he financial crashes created by greedy banks and financial institutions, stock markets etc, house prices crashed.

What was bought ten years ago is worth less than half of its original purchase price now and mortgages still have to be paid.

Someone posted that Thais generally live for today. What's wrong with that?

Today is all we have but too many folk live today under the shadow of yesterday and in fear of tomorrow; thus running today's life experience.

Given that you and your wife have chosen each other wisely and you have trust with caring and sharing, you will be in that safe place where you can relax and stop worrying about what might go wrong. You will both be able to enjoy your lives more and stay relaxed; even when external events over which you have no control jump in and try to ruin things.

A close family realie passing being murdered comes to mind here. That event created massive problems and costs but, living for today helped us move on with our lives.

Someone posted that there are many happy and contented marriages with Thai wives and while there are, I reflect upon the number of folk, even family in my home country and I can hardly name a handful of couples who's first marriage didn't fail.

Hell my first marriage failed after 25 years, then an English gf after about 12 years.

Now in my 70's I am beginning to realise why, I choose badly!

We were not thought about relationships, our role models were family and friends. The rule when I was a kid was that mum n dad stayed together through thick and thin and hated every moment of it.

The 60's changed all that and we would divorce and try again in pursuit of happiness but without having learned anything about how to compromise to achieve a happy relationship. Thus, as someone posted, repeating the same mistakes over and over.

Maybe what us chaps who have finally found our safe place and marital happiness could start a thread where we explain what we have given up I order to achieve our current state of happiness?

Maybe the first thing given up was jealousy and the need to control everything and everyone associated with us?

Does anyone remember that feeling when his wife wanted to go to the big city for a day out alone?

Was it easy to trust that everything was going to be fine and she would return home safe and sound?

And when she came home with a nice hair do and bubbling about her day with friends she had not seen for ages and bring you some food that she knows you would like; did you feel a little guilty?o

Alter reading so many stories about bad Thai ladies it's no wonder that folk might worry that they are being taken for a ride!

Thais believe that it is possible to "think too mut" because that behaviour can ruin your day!

So please enjoy your day and take some steps to learn how to relax.

At the moment we are in Spain and the weather man promised rain for yesterday and today but no rain yet.

The temperature has fallen and the wind dropped so it's nice to go out for a walk, but some rain would be appreciated, haven't seen any for months.

Also have to go cos my wife is in the kitchen preparing delicious food, I have opened the wine........

Cheers.

EDIT

Keep your fears to yourself but share your inspiration with others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by laislica

The 60's changed all that and we would divorce and try again in pursuit of happiness but without having learned anything about how to compromise to achieve a happy relationship. Thus, as someone posted, repeating the same mistakes over and over.

In the 60s what changed is women became empowered to asset strip their husbands.

Divorce isn't about happiness in the west it's women about grabbing money they didn't earn.

Most guys I know (including me) wouldn't have divorced their western wives, they were relatively happy.

It's mainly the women that do the divorcing. They don't need a husband when they have have all he owns and a house full of cats.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

In the 60s what changed is women became empowered to asset strip their husbands.

Divorce isn't about happiness in the west it's women about grabbing money they didn't earn.

Most guys I know (including me) wouldn't have divorced their western wives, they were relatively happy.

It's mainly the women that do the divorcing. They don't need a husband when they have have all he owns and a house full of cats.

Well it is true that the situation you mentioned was exactly what happened with the English gf. As soon as she no longer needed my financial support it was over and cost me a small fortune.

However, if you had quoted my whole post, it would also be clear that the reason this happened was that I CHOOSE BADLY in the first place.

There was no one to blame but me!

Do you understand this now?

Your choice, no one else's so please don't blame all women, Thai or otherwise.

Perhaps taking responsibility for your mistakes would be a place for you to start to heal and perhaps learn from those mistakes and, who knows, you might get lucky and stop repeating the same experiences?

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk