The sanuk has left Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

Sounds like you better stay in the little village you came from. I have lived here over 10 years and see improvements (mostly from private money being invested in the city) and there have been a couple municipal projects that have been successful --but most of them have not been up to standards one would find in a developed country. The speeding traffic and crime in the city could be enforced if the police department worked for the city- but the police work as a separate organization. Again, not like one would find in a developed country.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I heard one chav being told by his temporary GF of the night to pay the m'bike taxi 100 baht, which he meekly did, LOL."

What's a "chav"?

Chav (/ˈtʃæv/ CHAV) is a pejorative epithet used in Britain to describe a particular stereotype.[1][2] The word was popularised in the first decade of the 21st century by the British mass media to refer to an anti-social youth subculture in the United Kingdom.[3] The Oxford English Dictionary defines "chav" as an informal British derogatory, meaning "a young lower-class person who displays brash and loutish behaviour and wears real or imitation designer clothes".[4] The derivative chavette has been used to refer to females,[5] and the adjectives "chavish" and "chavtastic" have been used in relation to items designed for or suitable for use by chavs.[6]

An Essex boy ( county in uk ) giggle.gif

Also the place of the smart blonde ladies wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

Sorry, can't discuss prices in the past as against forum rules, but it certainly was more user friendly 20 years ago. I don't rent bgs anymore so don't know current trends.

Positive- haven't been on a baht bus yet, but I think they are still 10 baht- same as 20 years ago. Still too many of them on the road though, so must make a profit.

The girls are still just as attractive- lots of DDG girls around.

My hotel is still 450 baht and seen lots at 400 to 500, same as 10 years ago. Restaurants are in the "treat" category now, but there's always 7 11 pot noodles for meals.

At that price probably the same mattress as 10 years ago too.

I dread to think what you might be sleeping on. sick.gif

IMO that is just the sort of attitude that causes the problems of overcharging, because they know there are people that will pay too much in the mistaken belief that anything quality has to be expensive. Then, once the other places see one place making more for doing nothing more than before, they put up their prices too.

Luckily not all owners are greedy.

The hotel in question was renovated just a few years ago, is in very good condition, and has nice mattresses to sleep on.

It's also full, which is doing well in low season.

On one of my trips to Pattaya a few years ago, I stayed at a well known place just off Buakhao, at 600 a night, and the room was rubbish. Luckily I had refused to pay a whole week in advance and was able to move to the better place I stayed at this time- only 400 then- without having to forfeit the money.

I think its a VERY GRAND IDEA that you never come back.

I have been here 10 years and very little has changed, its easy to pick on all the bad things, but you don't mention the good ones. And if your paying 200baht for a meal , you did that by choice, many places around you get a great full western meal for 159 baht. Yes it is low season, its this slow every year, the only people arriving now are the Chinese and once the European countries start to get cold all those folks will return as they always do and the place will be packed out and the room prices will go up. If you expected dramatic change in a 3rd world country...forget about it. As for the people her there are good and bad just as anyplace.Spend your next holiday at home!!!!!

What good ones? Nothing has improved and many worse things have happened, like destroying the only green park at bali Hi to build a stupid car park, building that horrible hi rise in front of the lookout, the revolting beach walkway that is already falling apart ( when there was a better one before ) and the traffic is far worse than ever before. Never been nearly maimed so many times in one day by moron drivers that speed down sois without pavements.

I mentioned the meal prices to illustrate the price gouging, not because I paid that much. It's not like they are nice restaurants like The Dukes- just the average non AC hole in the wall restaurant, but because it's Pattaya they elevate the prices as much as possible. Even the cinema raises the prices on the weekend when all the Bkk crowd arrives.

Oh well, you carry on being happy with the traffic and the prices, though I suspect you rent long term ( still cheap in Pattaya ) and don't eat in restaurants much.

BTW, in the past ( before your time ) there were always a lot of mongers in Pattaya, regardless of time of year. Not so much now.

Yes there sure where a lot more here year around and most of them were getting 72 baht to the pound and now they don't.

you want good food check out trip advisors and you will find plenty...mr. Cheap unhappy chaRLIE

I have been here 10 years and very little has changed, its easy to pick on all the bad things, but you don't mention the good ones. And if your paying 200baht for a meal , you did that by choice, many places around you get a great full western meal for 159 baht. Yes it is low season, its this slow every year, the only people arriving now are the Chinese and once the European countries start to get cold all those folks will return as they always do and the place will be packed out and the room prices will go up. If you expected dramatic change in a 3rd world country...forget about it. As for the people her there are good and bad just as anyplace.Spend your next holiday at home!!!!!

What good ones? Nothing has improved and many worse things have happened, like destroying the only green park at bali Hi to build a stupid car park, building that horrible hi rise in front of the lookout, the revolting beach walkway that is already falling apart ( when there was a better one before ) and the traffic is far worse than ever before. Never been nearly maimed so many times in one day by moron drivers that speed down sois without pavements.

I mentioned the meal prices to illustrate the price gouging, not because I paid that much. It's not like they are nice restaurants like The Dukes- just the average non AC hole in the wall restaurant, but because it's Pattaya they elevate the prices as much as possible. Even the cinema raises the prices on the weekend when all the Bkk crowd arrives.

Oh well, you carry on being happy with the traffic and the prices, though I suspect you rent long term ( still cheap in Pattaya ) and don't eat in restaurants much.

BTW, in the past ( before your time ) there were always a lot of mongers in Pattaya, regardless of time of year. Not so much now.

THE DUKES IS A GO GO BAR....YOUR REALLY CONFUSED

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

Sorry, can't discuss prices in the past as against forum rules, but it certainly was more user friendly 20 years ago. I don't rent bgs anymore so don't know current trends.

Positive- haven't been on a baht bus yet, but I think they are still 10 baht- same as 20 years ago. Still too many of them on the road though, so must make a profit.

My hotel is still 450 baht and seen lots at 400 to 500, same as 10 years ago. Restaurants are in the "treat" category now, but there's always 7 11 pot noodles for meals.[/quote

]You stay in a 450 Baht room and moan about Patts

You can not even afford a 200 Baht meal

Your problem is not Patts but your lack of funds to have a decent time

You whingers do my nut in

Get your cash out and Patts is as great as ever

You talk about chavs

Your the chav have a good look in the mirror

You will not be missed

Edited by Pheat123

THE DUKES IS A GO GO BAR....YOUR REALLY CONFUSED

You keep putting your replies in my quotes. You need to sort that.

Anyway, The Dukes is a very expensive restaurant chain. perhaps they haven't opened one in Pattaya yet.

A number of posts removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden,

ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

My hotel is still 450 baht and seen lots at 400 to 500, same as 10 years ago. Restaurants are in the "treat" category now, but there's always 7 11 pot noodles for meals.[/quote

You talk about chavs

You will not be missed

Sorry but 20 years ago it was 5 Baht.

Girls are fatter and lots of them with to many miles on the clock

Do you live here ?

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

You talk about chavs

You will not be missed

Sorry but 20 years ago it was 5 Baht.

Girls are fatter and lots of them with to many miles on the clock

Do you live here ?

I am well aware that it was 5 baht up to 20 years ago, and then baht bus drivers started beating customers that refused to pay 10 with steel pipes, so I started paying 10.

Fat Thai girls are a common sight in Thailand now, sadly. 20 years ago it was rare to see one; now it's as common as back home- just look at the backpacker girls visiting LOS.

I guess that as the economy improves, attractive girls are more able to get a job that doesn't involve sleeping with strangers every night. Having said that, I saw loads of DDG girls in Pattaya.

I used to live there, and visited a lot since early 90s. Seen many of the changes I refer to. The opening of Walking Street ( they used to put tables in the road, and there was no concept of TPVs ), several versions of the beach walkway ( this one is far and away the worst ), construction of 3rd road ( built through open ground, but they still made it too small ), the invasion of the condos, the arrival of the Russians in large numbers. Much hasn't changed. most of the pavements were exactly the same 20 years ago, many hotels are unchanged since then, Boystown and the small sois from soi Post Office pretty much the same, Tahitian Queen is still unchanged, on the outside at least. Mike shopping still has the exposed rebar showing on 2nd Rd end. Kiss restaurant was popular for it's low prices and always full of mongers and their temporary girlfriends. Malibu show was going strong, and had more real girls than ladyboys, while it seems to be all ladyboys now.

I still remember the first time I visited, travelling down Beach Rd on a baht bus ( the roofs were lower then ), and feeling a great vibe. Back then it wasn't just about the money- it really was Fun City, but that feeling has gone now, pushed out by greed and really bad drivers

Then folks post how wonderful pattaya is in another thread. Some like whores dirty sea and one big Smell

What big smell would that be ?

Pattaya is no different for this than any other coastal city / town in Thailand

Most other coastal cities/ towns in LOS DON'T build sewage stations right next to their premier tourist attraction.

It was pretty smelly in some places along Beach road when I was there couple days ago.

Spoiled hookers, traffic jams, high real estate prices? Sounds fun(not).

Exactly. Which is the point of this thread.

I used to hope that the families would disappear, and that things might get back to the way they were, but having seen the overdevelopment that has taken place ( they build hi rises really fast in Pattaya ) I think it's gone past the point of no return, and Pattaya will become a sort of Hua Hin ( my least desired beach resort in LOS ), but with more bars and girls.

Then folks post how wonderful pattaya is in another thread. Some like whores dirty sea and one big Smell

What big smell would that be ?

Pattaya is no different for this than any other coastal city / town in Thailand

Most other coastal cities/ towns in LOS DON'T build sewage stations right next to their premier tourist attraction.

It was pretty smelly in some places along Beach road when I was there couple days ago.

Its the same all round Thailand,

if they want to do that they will.

But what place are you on about, or is it on going work ?

I don't go into town much now days, its to full up with moaning people and Chinese

tourists.

Edited by onemorechang

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

You talk about chavs

You will not be missed

seeing as YOU made this personal-

I can certainly afford 200 baht for a meal ( I even paid 180 for Macs last night- my annual Macs meal just to see if anything has changed. Same reason I go to Patpong and KSR occasionally- to remind myself why I don't want to go there ). I just don't see why a bog standard no AC hole in the wall Thai restaurant charges 200 baht for a bog standard meal, when the nice AC restaurant with free newspapers and a great ambience across the road charges 130 for an excellent, large, English big breakfast. seems more about greed than service to me.

Why would I pay more for a room when I can get an excellent one for a reasonable price. Do you like to give away money?

I have sufficient funds, I just don't like being ripped off. Is the whore better in bed because she charges more?

As for Gogos, I went to my favourite place on WS that used to have the best looking girls in all of Pattaya's Gogos, only to see a very average collection of bored girls doing the pole shuffle. The price didn't reflect the decrease in quality though, being 30 % higher than previously, plus the "music" was horrid and way too loud. I left after 10 minutes.

Do you know what a chav is? I have many faults, but no one that knows me would call me a chav.

Again, this thread was not started for those that are happy with Pattaya- it's information for those that haven't been a while. That, after all, is what a forum is about- information and OPINION.

I don't know you, but I don't think my life is any the worse for not doing so.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Again, this thread was not started for those that are happy with Pattaya- it's information for those that haven't been a while. That, after all, is what a forum is about- information and OPINION.

Everything you've written is an opinion not information.

Anyway I don't understand why you feel the need to express your frustration with the place you used to enjoy.

Seems like sour grapes to me, or the inability to accept changes over which you have no control.

Yermanee wai.gif

Spoiled hookers, traffic jams, high real estate prices? Sounds fun(not).

Exactly. Which is the point of this thread.

I used to hope that the families would disappear, and that things might get back to the way they were, but having seen the overdevelopment that has taken place ( they build hi rises really fast in Pattaya ) I think it's gone past the point of no return, and Pattaya will become a sort of Hua Hin ( my least desired beach resort in LOS ), but with more bars and girls.

Yep bit pricey for you

Not many rooms to be found for 450 Baht in Hua Hin

Personally I love getting away to Hua Hin for a few days

Great place for a break from Pattaya

Just my personal opinion

A lot of the fun has gone out of Pattaya and I think the change in demographic of the people who come here is a big factor.

Thats for sure.There are too many Thai males in Pattaya now. Every where you look there is a load of them : Bus drivers, minivan drivers, moto taxi, meter taxi, venders, beach touts,gangs. And in general just too many idle local males. The best I can do is ignore them.

Edited by morrobay

A lot of the fun has gone out of Pattaya and I think the change in demographic of the people who come here is a big factor.

Thats for sure.There are too many Thai males in Pattaya now. Every where you look there is a load of them : Bus drivers, minivan drivers, moto taxi, meter taxi, venders, beach touts,gangs. And in general just too many idle local males. The best I can do is ignore them.

I agree, anyone would think the bu**ers lived here.

-----

So you wont be going to Pattaya any-more ??......we're all gonna miss ya,

I left Pattaya after 7 years of fun--10 years ago to relocate in Issan---I have never felt the need to slag it off. I was a visitor there last week stayed at an apartment in the Markland on the beach for 850 a night.

You really don't seem to have learnt a lot in your 20 years of coming here............

1/...200 baht for a 50 baht meal----I ate breakfast at the sailor bar most mornings, just over 60 baht for eggs/bacon/coffee toast etc.

2/ Motor bikes are dangerous in Thailand-------Wow..Thanks for that tip, (although I did pick it up in the 90s...first week here)

3/The TV isn't good.....are you being serious, you come here twice a year from the UK, & TV is a big factor..?

Just hope we don't lose to many other whore mongers before they fix that up.

4/ chav this chav that......their your people, if you cant stand them here, what's it like when your back home....Great life ?

5/ "the lady boys seem to be desperate and quite vicious now--certainly not a way to get customers",

Maybe you can give them a few tips on how to win the hearts of the farangs.....I am just not up to speed on it.

6/ "Finally, there are a lot of mugs in Pattaya. I heard one chav being told by his temporary GF of the night to pay the m'bike taxi 100 baht, which he meekly did"

A lot of mugs in Pattaya---I guess there's one less now you have checked out-----you do not know where the motor bike taxi come from--or how long the journey was. But he's the mug who paid a 100 baht----your the wide boy (who pays 200 baht for a 50 baht meal)

---------------------------------------

I got the night train up to Issan about 5 years ago because I was so weighed down by stuff I had brought in BKK for our house ----if you have ever done it your know its 2 bunks to a cabin...........I got on with a ton of stuff & was joined by this English gentleman who brought a small bag & 2 cases of Leo...On the 3rd bottle I began to get his life story, he droned on most of the night, even when they made the bunks up there was no escape for me, he had, apparently had a terrible wife, "she had put 30 lbs on in the first year we were together/& another 10 lb every year after that /she never done a stroke of work/ the house was like a pig sty/ sex that was a joke--I never got any sex/ then I found out why...she was giving it away to different people ---"And" at our local......my life was terrible.....et.....etc....

In the end I asked him the inevitable-----how long were you together-" "it would have been 32 years this month if she hadn't of left me"

That journey was some years ago "Thaibeachlovers".........but I do get reminded of it when I read letters like yours.

Dont like Pattaya ----just leave quietly, find a place you do like....(if that's at all possible) ............................coffee1.gif

Edited by Rimmer
16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

I'm moving to Mexico after living here for almost nine years to the day.

The real nice thing about Pattaya? The door swings both ways - if you don't like it, you are more than welcome to leave. Just make sure the door don't hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

gigglem.gif

Wait, what ? Who says I've left Pattaya ? blink.png

Sure maybe I went to Buriram last weekend and Ban Chang yesterday, but that doesn't mean I've left Pattaya ! w00t.gif

The "fun" is still here ! burp.gif

Yeah, things change. Especially over 20+ years. Get over it. Either adapt or move on. The world (or specifically) Pattaya doesn't owe you a thing and sure as h3ll isn't going to try and roll things back to the way they were 20 years ago just to suit you. I first came here 22 years ago and I've noticed Pattaya change quite often over that time. It's a tourist city, everybody wants to make money. Big deal. coffee1.gif

Hey, guess what else has changed in the last 20 years ? The WHOLE %$&@#@% WORLD ! Prices have gone up ! People have changed ! New buildings up, old buildings down ! New bars open, old bars closed or renamed. Some old women maybe still working and plenty of new ones as well ! Same same but different. Less hair on my head, more inches around my waist ! crying.gif My goodness, somebody stop all this change ! It's happening everywhere ! Why can't everything be just like it was 20 years ago ?!?!? facepalm.gif

Seriously. You're whining that things aren't the same as they were TWENTY YEARS ago. beatdeadhorse.gif

A lot of Walking Street bar owners are saying that business is about 20% down on last year and last year was not a good year. This was before the bombing in Bangkok.

The biggest tourist groups are Chinese and Indians on package tours.

In ye olden days many bargirls ended up living in Europe/America/Australia. They're a lot less keen on India and China.