Charter on thin ice

Lite Beer

NRC VOTE
Charter on thin ice
KHANITTHA THEPPHAJORN,
KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- Leaked list of names shows majority of NRC members intend to vote 'No' today

RUMOURS are doing the rounds ahead of the National Reform Council's vote that the draft charter is doomed after a list of NRC members believed to be opposed to the draft was distributed to the media.

The list shows between 130 and 140 members are set to vote "No". The draft will be rejected if more than half of the NRC's 247 members vote against it.

Reports stated that more NRC members were leaning towards voting down the charter draft after Prayut revealed his stance on the vote during his weekly TV show on Friday. Sources claim that Prayut wants the country to continue the reform work without political conflict.

According to previous reports, a great number of NRC members and top figures in the National Legislative Assembly want the charter draft thrown out because Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha wants the country to resolve its political conflicts before a general election is called. NRC member Rosana Tositrakul said she had no idea about the NLA's stance on the charter draft but she was certain the name list was not based on facts.

"NRC members such as Poldej Pinprateep and Kanthaya Phusawat have denied the report that they intend to vote down the charter draft. The list has been made up just to damage the NRC,'' Rosana said.

The NRC will begin voting on the draft at 10am. Each member will be required to state his/her stance publicly.

According to reports, leading figures in the NLA and most NRC members also want to give more time to Cabinet's new economic team led by Somkid Jatusripitak to solve the country's economic problems. The new Cabinet would have seven more months to work if the charter draft were to be rejected.

It is also claimed that some members believe rejecting the draft will reduce conflict of opinion between opponents and supporters of the draft, while some members want several controversial aspects of the draft reviewed before a public referendum on the charter is called.

Constitution Drafting Committee chairman Borwornsak Uwanno is upset by the reports and will lead charter writers to hold a religious rite at Wat Phrakaew to seek the blessings of the Emerald Buddha in a bid to ensure the draft is passed.

Poldej said he believed in the integrity of the NRC and that many members would not succumb to lobbying and political influence, and would vote in a way that they believed would benefit the country.

He believed the members who planned to vote down the charter draft were part of a minority voice.

Poldej rejects the premise that most NRC members want to vote down the charter draft to give Cabinet's new economic team more time. He said the additional time the Prayut government would be given if the charter draft were rejected was not much different than if it were accepted.

NRC member Wanchai Sornsiri said some of the names on the list of NRC members who supposedly plan to reject the draft were actually in favour of the draft but he was confident it would be voted down.

Meanwhile National Council for Peace and Order spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari said the NCPO would not allow the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship to hold a press conference to table its stance on the charter draft.

He said several leaders of the group gave press interviews that cast a negative light on the NCPO - |misleading the public and affecting the government's democracy road map.

In a separate development, a group of activists held a symbolic ceremony yesterday, pouring holy water to signify their disapproval of the draft charter.

The group, known as the Democracy Study Group, had called for people to join the activity at the open space in front of the Bangkok Art and Culture Centre at 4pm yesterday.

However, about an hour before the event was scheduled to take place scores of police, both in uniform and in plainclothes, descended on the area and put barricades up to keep people away.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Charter-on-thin-ice-30268226.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-06

How can people father in front of the BKK art and cultural center if public gatherings are prohibited?

Also, being the the NRC will PUBLICLY cast their votes I find it very hard to believe that any of then will vote against what Mr. P wants. Their futures may depend on it and I don't think they want P as their enemy.

POLITICS
D-day for new Constitution

BANGKOK: -- The National Reform Council (NRC) is scheduled to vote on the new charter draft today at 10am.

At 9am, many of NRC members were seen arriving at the Parliament building.

The vote on the draft would be conducted openly with each NRC member casting his or her vote orally. No discussions or explanations regarding either the draft or the vote would be permitted.

To approve the draft, it requires simple majority or 124 votes out of the total 247 members. The result of the NRC vote would be known about two hours after the start of voting process.

If the charter passes the reform council, the NRC members would further discuss whether or not to ask an additional question in the national referendum.

If the council members agree to add, they would deliberate on what the question would be.

But if the NRC votes down the charter, the process of drafting a new charter will have to re-start with a new 21 drafters appointed by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to draft it.

No matter it votes for or against the draft, the NRC will be dissolved at midnight of the same day.

Prior the vote begins, the security at the Parliament is beefed up. The road in front of the Parliament is close due to security. However, a man represented a network to protect the country tried to hand out a document to protest against the charter draft but was not allowed and asked by the police to leave the area.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/D-day-for-new-Constitution-30268232.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-06

How can people father in front of the BKK art and cultural center if public gatherings are prohibited?

Also, being the the NRC will PUBLICLY cast their votes I find it very hard to believe that any of then will vote against what Mr. P wants. Their futures may depend on it and I don't think they want P as their enemy.

But their later future may depend on what Mr. T wants. And maybe also their very near financial future....

But their later future may depend on what Mr. T wants. And maybe also their very near financial future....

If it goes to a vote it will do. If the traditional power holders do not cede some control soon, blood will be spilt again sadly, and hopefully they will be held to account for it.

I'm still of the opinion that the 2007 constitution should have been used and extended. Based on the 1997 version and having been in force for almost 17 years the weaknesses should be clear.

If it goes to a vote it will do. If the traditional power holders do not cede some control soon, blood will be spilt again sadly, and hopefully they will be held to account for it.

By whom? Problem is, they simply don't care: 'Either we run the place or no-one does.'

By whom? Problem is, they simply don't care: 'Either we run the place or no-one does.'

'they' simply don't care?

Who are you talking about here?

I'm still of the opinion that the 2007 constitution should have been used and extended. Based on the 1997 version and having been in force for almost 17 years the weaknesses should be clear.

Well, should have been used anyway. The previous military charter obviously wasn't what was intended (surprise).

Any amendments by Mr P would have been obvious though, so that wasn't on. Essential to camouflage what he was trying to do. Too much honesty with Mr P is like sunlight to a vampire.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

Well, should have been used anyway. The previous military charter obviously wasn't what was intended (surprise).

Any amendments by Mr P would have been obvious though, so that wasn't on.

Well, the Interim Charter was never meant to be more than that.

Anyway, pity really that political parties and 'alligned' grassroot organisation didn't want to cooperate in reforms and charter improvements. Missed chance. They could have overwhelmed the NCPO and thereby forced them into more drastic changes, like a bit of real democracy.

Reconciliation and no conflict my arse. Ain't going to happen.

Bring about a functioning legal system, a police force that operates as such rather than just another mafia gang, make all accountable for their crimes, enforce tough rules on corruption, stop amnestying corrupt political leaders and only promote those legal/law officials who have earned it through competence.

Give the people a justice system that works and stop with the reconciliation speel.

Hmm look at what happened to Caesar.

Anyway, pity really that political parties and 'alligned' grassroot organisation didn't want to cooperate in reforms and charter improvements. Missed chance. They could have overwhelmed the NCPO and thereby forced them into more drastic changes, like a bit of real democracy.

Must be nice living in Lala land.....

laugh.png

Your political opinion can be red/yellow/military/monarchist/communist but if you learned only a little bit of history no one from any fraction was every held to account for it. In Thailand rich and influential people never go into jail and that counts for all sides of the power struggle.

laugh.png

Pray, show me the way to LaLa land, I'd like to know more about it.

Constitution Drafting Committee chairman Borwornsak Uwanno is upset by the reports and will lead charter writers to hold a religious rite at Wat Phrakaew to seek the blessings of the Emerald Buddha in a bid to ensure the draft is passed.

Words fail me!!!!!!!

Words fail me!!!!!!!

Don't be too hard on the grinning clown, he's had a really bad day, and he's been thrown under a bus. He doesn't need more ridicule and embarrassment at the hands of TVF. So...

Lets all empathise with poor old Bowornsak and say..." awwww poor old Bowornsak"

Have a pat on the head son, better luck next time... oh, sorry, there won't be a 'next time' will there? Spat the dummy already.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

"Constitution Drafting Committee chairman Borwornsak Uwanno is upset by the reports and will lead charter writers to hold a religious rite at Wat Phrakaew to seek the blessings of the Emerald Buddha in a bid to ensure the draft is passed."

Why not just ask the good general to use article 44 ? That would be easier.

Any excuse to stay in power and keep power from the people.

The people never had power in Thailand.

They had the power to vote, as a citizen of the country. It is a power which they no longer have, nor will have in the near future if Mr P has his way.