British academic detained in Thailand after exposing official as plagiarist

webfact

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General! Where are you? Here's BLATANT corruption and malfeasance and misuse of position. Not to mention the education corruption side of it.

If you want any credibility, arrest this Supachai immediately, release Dr Ellis immediately with profound apologies and compensation, and send a clear message that corruption will not be tolerated.

I predict that this is another thread in which all TVF members will been in agreement and outraged at this travesty.

AMEN.

Do I have even a shred of confidence in Thailand or it's government? lol

Where are these high paid Embassy officials , to busy trying to make a business for themselves while being paid by our Government what a joke the English government has become , If he was Australian he would be in the same boat no diplomats represent you they represent themselves only and will not do their jobs.

I wonder what penalties the university should face for granted a phd to a plagiarist and then defending it or hiding it? In a way this a golden moment to keep the tide of honesty moving jn the right direction. Keep washing out the corrupt, vindictive, small minded losers who slow down positive change. I hope they will grant Mr. Ellis citizenship by way of apology.

I wonder what the response would be if someone sought a position out side of LOS(Land of Scams/Lack of Sanctions) while in possession of a Thai academic degree? LOL LOL LOL LOL

From the OP, it seems that this man also has Thai citizenship - he has lived here for 30 years.

Perhaps that will be revoked for not being a good Thai citizen.

Anyway, appalling news - he should be released immediately

He should be released immediately, and he should be assisted by top government officials in suing for defamation. Being labelled a "national security risk", particularly as it's a false allegation, is defamatory.

My home has undergone surveillance by individuals with false ID and false number plates, anonymous letters, long-running tax inspections, investigation of my Thai citizenship, 480 telephone death threats, and rock attacks on my car

As I mentioned, he is a British citizen, and also seems to hold Thai citizenship.

Surprised they haven't forced him to be conscripted into the army and sent to the Deep South ... :)

Most stories of Andrew Drummond about this case has been blocked by the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology. It shows clearly the lack of justice in Thailand and the evil power of the elite. What about a real revolution for Thailand? I lost my faith in gradual positive change.

Time and time and time again, we see face and the existence of the defamation laws enabling corruption and crime.

The defamation law must go! It ENABLES CRIME AND CORRUPTION.

You are correct in identifying the defamation law as an important and frequently used tool to suppress exposure of wrongdoing. It is used by those with power and wealth to maintain their power and wealth. It is used by all those with power, be they elected representatives, business tycoons, military, civil servants, etc. It reflects one of the fundamental concepts of Asian society that challenging authority is wrong because it is disruptive and anti-social and not conciliatory or compromising.

Since civil society is weak here, due to deliberate discouragement of its growth and the nature of the people and the society, I ask you who do you think is going to repeal this law.

The man could have saved himself a world of anxiety if he had had the foresight to secure his exit should things turn pear-shaped - a lesson that applies not only in Thailand.

He had the opportunity. He was detained and going to be deported but he refused to go. 30 years in Thailand, Thai citizenship, why should he have to leave. That leaves a question - If he has Thai citizenship and Thai passport wouldn't deporting him back to his country be Thailand? wink.png

The man could have saved himself a world of anxiety if he had had the foresight to secure his exit should things turn pear-shaped - a lesson that applies not only in Thailand.

He had the opportunity. He was detained and going to be deported but he refused to go. 30 years in Thailand, Thai citizenship, why should he have to leave. That leaves a question - If he has Thai citizenship and Thai passport wouldn't deporting him back to his country be Thailand? wink.png

It is not clear if he holds Thai citizenship. One article suggests he doesn't. Another article implies he does.

How is exposing somebody who copied his work considered threatening Thai Society?

Remember as far as this fellow Supachai and his like ( who are at present the power in the land) are concerned Thai society starts and ends with them. So if you catch them out, and make it public, you are threatening society. Edited by JAG

Maybe he has a strategy or maybe he simple has the balls to stand up to a bully. Not everyone rolls over and gives up easily.

How is exposing somebody who copied his work considered threatening Thai Society?

Because so many Thais live off the intellect of others, seeing that it's all fruit for the picking. I have had to speak, ever so sensitively, to a few Thai friends on Facebook, who have used my artwork and photography to promote themselves. Some have come back with sincere apologies, others being very defencive, and denying any wrong doing. Those behaving defensively, are as though shaking their heads, hoping the problem, and me with it, will simply go away.

The inability to admit error and correct the situation, let alone apologise, is not only a Thai failing. Hell, I lived in Norway nearly 20 years. I was privy to some goings on inside a development department at Ericsson, where I came across Norwegians who simply could not admit error in any of their work, and would sell their mothers rather than face the music. However, intellectual property would be safe once published.

This failing in Thai culture, as we perceive it, needs to be addressed in school curricular from an early age, but not in our lifetime, I suspect.