Brian Davidson announced as new UK Ambassador to Thailand

webfact

wub.png Good Luck to the Happy couple!

Maybe now my Thai friend can get a Tourist Visa having been turned down by the totally unhelpful and rude Embassy Staff twice.

Poor Mark Kent he sucked up to the Thai so much and learnt Thai too LOL!!

You cannot know Mark Kent.He does not suck up to the Thais (by which I take it your suggestion he is over deferential.) He has also been quite punctilious about making UK's position clear on democracy, human rights etc.of all the Ambassadors I have known here I would rate him as one of the very best - and that's not including his language skills.He has steered a difficult line very skilfully here.Lastly he is recognisably a representative of modern Britain.

Of course Mr Kent and previous Ambassadors make a point of knowing you well, confiding in you and taking you along so you can observe how they interact with senior Thai officials when representing HM Government.

How else would you know what he makes clear? Or did you read it on his FB and Twitter?

Steered a difficult line skillfully - would you care to elaborate on that?

Most British businessman of a certain level who have been here decades will know the Ambassador and his staff well.I have known all the Ambassasdors of the last 20 years except Barney Smith (don't ask).

I did not claim to be a friend of Mark Kent, but I have seen enough of him to form a clear impression.Along with James Hodge and Christian Adams, he is one of the best.

Do not attempt sarcasm if you lack the wit to make it amusing.Of course I didn't accompany Mark Kent on his official visits.

Steering a difficult line, as I had assumed would be obvious, means retain good relationships with the host government while sometimes having to communicate unwelcome positions.

Well, there's a rubbish post that isn't going to change much - I hope this "level" of businessman is better at business than he is a posting on TV.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic