Savannakhet visa

I have checked the air fare with Lao Airlines from Bangkok to Savannakhet and found it outrageous! I see that others have posted the possibility of Nok Air and Air Asia with bus included. Please can you tell me which is the closest airport to Savannakhet? It must be Ubon Ratchathani, right? Also does anyone know the arrival time at the friendship bridge. I am looking for the cheapest solution but do not want to ride a bus all the way from Phuket! There is a direct Air Asia flight from Phuket to Udon Thani for a reasonable price but I don't know if it will work with a bus from Udon to Savannakhet. For someone who lives in Phuket, there seems to be no place more difficult and expensive than Savannakhet!

It is a long bus ride from Udon to Mukdahan. Your best bet is HKT -> DMK -> Nok Air fly-ride service. There are several airports used by Nok Air. Depending on the flight you take, you are in the van for about 1.5 to 2.5 hours.

It is a long bus ride from Udon to Mukdahan. Your best bet is HKT -> DMK -> Nok Air fly-ride service. There are several airports used by Nok Air. Depending on the flight you take, you are in the van for about 1.5 to 2.5 hours.

I checked out Nok Air route and found that they fly to Nakhom Phanom and Ubon Ratchathani and the bus rides are 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours respectively. The better option appears to be Nakhom Phanom because the bus stops at the bridge on the way to Mukdahan which saves time in both directions. However the arrival time at the bridge for both buses is around 1130. Does this mean that it is not possible to get the non O visa without an overnight stay in Savannakhet? facepalm.gif

I am thinking it may just be easier to drive our Ford Ranger from Phuket to Mukdahan and then from there to our place in Loei. We had planned to drive from Phuket to Loei anyway. Is it possible now to drive our own Thai registered truck across the bridge to Laos to the consulate? A few years ago the red tape was so overwhelming that we parked on the Thai side of the bridge and rode the bus across to the old consulate downtown. In those days there was no way to avoid the overnight stay in Savannakhet. Does anyone know the cost of the Laos visa at the bridge for a US citizen? What about the Thai wife and our 9 year old daughter? Anyone recommend a nice place to eat near the consulate or guest house if needed? wai.gif

Yes, if you take the fly-ride service, an overnight in Mukdahan or Savannakhet before applying for the visa is unavoidable. There used to be an earlier service, but alas no more. The return fly-ride service works better. There is a case for taking an overnight VIP bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan, but then using the fly-ride service for the return.

I checked out Nok Air route and found that they fly to Nakhom Phanom and Ubon Ratchathani and the bus rides are 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours respectively. The better option appears to be Nakhom Phanom because the bus stops at the bridge on the way to Mukdahan which saves time in both directions. However the arrival time at the bridge for both buses is around 1130. Does this mean that it is not possible to get the non O visa without an overnight stay in Savannakhet? facepalm.gif

I am thinking it may just be easier to drive our Ford Ranger from Phuket to Mukdahan and then from there to our place in Loei. We had planned to drive from Phuket to Loei anyway. Is it possible now to drive our own Thai registered truck across the bridge to Laos to the consulate? A few years ago the red tape was so overwhelming that we parked on the Thai side of the bridge and rode the bus across to the old consulate downtown. In those days there was no way to avoid the overnight stay in Savannakhet. Does anyone know the cost of the Laos visa at the bridge for a US citizen? What about the Thai wife and our 9 year old daughter? Anyone recommend a nice place to eat near the consulate or guest house if needed? wai.gif

You can take your pickup across the border if you obtain a passport for it and it is not financed.

Most people still find it easier to park and then take the bus into Savannakhet.

If you wife and child have Thai passports they will get a 30 day visa exempt entry. If not they will need to get border passes that allows a 3 day stay. There is a office for border passes just before the bridge on the left where the secured paring is.

The fly/ride service arrival times mean spending a night in Mukdahan (if at the bridge after 6 pm ) or Savannakhet prior to applying for the visa.

My wife and daughter have Thai passports so they can go to Laos for free, right? How much does an American citizen pay for the Laos visa these days? Any nice new hotels or guest houses on either side of the border?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My wife and daughter have Thai passports so they can go to Laos for free, right? How much does an American citizen pay for the Laos visa these days? Any nice new hotels or guest houses on either side of the border?

It is a free entry for your wife and daughter.

The Laos visa on arrival will cost you $35 US or 1500 baht. They charge an extra dollar for overtime if you enter after normal working hours or weekends.

Check Agoda for hotels on either side of the border, There are plenty of them. The Avalon has been mentioned recently as being good in Savannakhet and it is close to the bus station and consulate.

• 1 month later...

We just got back from our visa run and found a better place than Avalon and closer to the consulate. Can't rememberthe name but I can send you the location through Google maps.

We just got back from our visa run and found a better place than Avalon and closer to the consulate. Can't rememberthe name but I can send you the location through Google maps.

I, for one, am very interested in hearing of good hotel options in Savannakhet. I have tried several, and find it hard to recommend any of them.

According to him (taxi driver) .....I will stop there.

Oh wait. ....I heard someone say that they heard from a friends friend....who thinks ...

Geezus

You really shouldn't post before getting your morning coffee as you come across as a grumpy old git (of course, that might be the personality you're born with).

You beat me to it.

I understand that you need to overnight in Laos so any comments on this Tripadvisor Number 1 of 9 hotels in Savannakhet: Daosavanh Resort:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g811038-Savannakhet_Savannakhet_Province-Hotels.html

I stayed at the Daosavanah Resort last year.. clean rooms decent pool and just next to the river. You will find cold beers and street food during the day but <deleted> all at night. They have a van for consulate officials that leaves every morning you can jump in.

The consulate in Savannakhet is no doubt a very easy option but my wife was not happy when she couldn't get her midnight noodle on... :)

Kurt

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Why no clear list of the required documents on top of the first post ? I am sure that it would help many !

Probably because there are umpteen threads that already cover them in detail.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 7/15/2016 at 0:45 AM, BritTim said:

I, for one, am very interested in hearing of good hotel options in Savannakhet. I have tried several, and find it hard to recommend any of them.

I'm in the search as well & am planning for mid June But am finding many of the dont accommodate children & Daosa only except Visa & not Master card (need to write to Bookings .com) as this may look like the one i may stay in 

26 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

I'm in the search as well & am planning for mid June But am finding many of the dont accommodate children & Daosa only except Visa & not Master card (need to write to Bookings .com) as this may look like the one i may stay in 

I stayed at the daosavan with my kids a few weeks ago, paid for the hotel through Agoda with my MasterCard, no problem, received a hotel voucher straight away via e mail.

nice enough hotel and pool is fine, not much around the hotel but very easy to get about with Tuk tuks.

Edited by Doiger

1 hour ago, Doiger said:

I stayed at the daosavan with my kids a few weeks ago, paid for the hotel through Agoda with my MasterCard, no problem, received a hotel voucher straight away via e mail.

nice enough hotel and pool is fine, not much around the hotel but very easy to get about with Tuk tuks.

Thanks for the info not sure why they only show Visa on Bookings