Thailand ranks among countries with highest road deaths

webfact

As long as you will go to the drive test with YOUR OWN car it will not improve.

I went to have my thai permit, here is how it happened:

Questions were not available in english for the test so the guy just gave me the list of answers...i thought it was an exception then i saw a thai with the same paper.

Then the driving test: well no driving test...the thai guy neither

2000thb later i had my paper....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia about 300 people die a year on their roads.

In Thailand it's 500 a week.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

I don't need my coffee in the morning when I drive my bike on the roads here. Love the adrenalin rush!

In Australia the roads are repaired and the driving test and exam are enforced.

In Thailand an estimated 65% of all driving licenses are fake and were bought. I know Thai drivers who have been using fake licenses for 35 years.

In Thailand, every 100 baht spent on roads results ion 35 baht kickbacks and 65 baht roads.

All these things are linked.

This morning I pointed out to my girlfriend two Bangkok - Pattaya (Route 48) First Class Air Con buses doing what I can only describe as racing each other in rush hour traffic on Sukhumvit. I pointed it out as even by Thai driving standards, this stands out as unusual.

The response was tutting at me and a couple of head slaps. My crime was "criticising others".

No hope of any immediate improvement to the carnage.

UK fifth worst, perhaps some Thai who reads TV has decided to get his own back. The UK has been and still is one of the lowest death rates in the world. Yes the figures per 100k have got worse, from 3.5 to around 3.8 (cyclists in London) but just ask my wife which country she prefers to drive in.

As long as you will go to the drive test with YOUR OWN car it will not improve.

I went to have my thai permit, here is how it happened:

Questions were not available in english for the test so the guy just gave me the list of answers...i thought it was an exception then i saw a thai with the same paper.

Then the driving test: well no driving test...the thai guy neither

2000thb later i had my paper....

You should have done the test and saved yourself 2000

The licence is only 400 or 500 and the test is a simple 2 min ride around a carpark

- It should be reminded that between 70 to 80% of road fatalities in Thailand involve motorcycle.

Don't bring that fact into it Johnny, it waters down the Thai Bashing frenzy that accompanies these threads, and they seem to appear quite often, ( wonder why ? ).

Quite pathetic....

So all those tragic motorcycle accidents, often involving young children, are meaningless in your book !

Pray enlighten us as to what percentage of motorcycle fatalities involve another vehicle?

If transparency was part of it. Thailand is maybe No 1?

Well, I've driven in France and Italy, both legendary for bad and/or aggressive driving. Even so, driving in Bangkok came as a bit of a shock.

Have to agree with you after 15 years living in ''France'' i found them very aggressive and downright dangerous, speed speed speed ??? dont know why

all rushing to go to the same Cafe for there Coffee .., i dont miss the ''Strikes'' and the moans and groans...

I am sure that with a bit of effort from all Thai drivers, the country could be number one in the world.

Yes, it's dropped one place from some other survey. With a bit of effort, more "whisky" and ya baa, and a heavier right foot, Thailand can become no.1 and bring happiness to the people.

I wonder where Thailand would rank if it were possible to calculate deaths per number of accidents. A motorcycle/ pickup accident in the UK might result in the death of the rider, and possibly a pillion, but happens rarely. Same accident in Thailand can mean four or five people thrown from the bike, wearing no protection, and any number from the back of the truck if it swerved and rolled.

Topping the list was the Maldives....

This is not really surprising in a Republic which is 97% ocean and the only place that has any real volume of cars is Male the capital island. The problem is there are so many cars it is one big traffic jam all day and all night. The island is about six square km and has a population of 155,000 people.

I am actually surprised anyone ever dies in road accidents..

I did say it was "funny" having been there many times starting in 1990, now if they added up boat driving deaths it might get more interesting!!

This morning I pointed out to my girlfriend two Bangkok - Pattaya (Route 48) First Class Air Con buses doing what I can only describe as racing each other in rush hour traffic on Sukhumvit. I pointed it out as even by Thai driving standards, this stands out as unusual.

The response was tutting at me and a couple of head slaps. My crime was "criticising others".

No hope of any immediate improvement to the carnage.

Closely followed by "you not Thai you not understand" BS

UK's rank is not surprising to me:....They are driving on the wrong side of the street cheesy.gif

Clearly you do not know the reason behind driving on the left. it is historical and dates back to knights in armour riding horseback. Oops, some countries don't have that much history.

My country has a history of killing the Brits butt not only once but twice.

Oh, do you live on Koh Tao then?

And they call this news... Known fact for years decades...

The 2013 WHO report is here: http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2013/report/en/

A very good read...

Page 8. Good Pre-hospital care and quick transportation to hospitals can save lives... probably the only reason Thailand does not rank worst, though it would help if Thai Drivers were to move over for Emergency vehicles, of all the countries I have been too I have never seen so much arrogant, bloody minded, selfish bunch of drivers as in Thailand when it comes to giving way to ambulances on Blues and Twos.

PS. is that a photo of a Thai Hospital/Trauma Clinic?

In Australia about 300 people die a year on their roads.

In Thailand it's 500 a week.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

I don't need my coffee in the morning when I drive my bike on the roads here. Love the adrenalin rush!

In Australia the roads are repaired and the driving test and exam are enforced.

In Thailand an estimated 65% of all driving licenses are fake and were bought. I know Thai drivers who have been using fake licenses for 35 years.

In Thailand, every 100 baht spent on roads results ion 35 baht kickbacks and 65 baht roads.

All these things are linked.

In singapore you need a lot of praticle lesson then a pretest riding after this you can only book for a test date and wait for more than 6 month for the test day to come. If you fail then book for a test date again and wait for another few month . You get the license only you Pass the test . The process was really ass pain .sad.png

Edited by itsmylife

UK's rank is not surprising to me:....They are driving on the wrong side of the street cheesy.gif

Clearly you do not know the reason behind driving on the left. it is historical and dates back to knights in armour riding horseback. Oops, some countries don't have that much history.

Mr. Smart, probably you have an explanation why most of the countries driving on the right side? If noy take this: Maybe those with their splendid isolation were still riding horses whearas in other countries people were driving cars?? cheesy.gif And changing gears we do with our right hand...And this is probably an island made problem. Changing gears with the left hand is too difficult for islanders....cheesy.gif Therefore too many road accidents. (actually this was prpbably the start for automatic transmissions) cheesy.gif

Goodness! No humor, these Poms....Seemed to be pissed off?

Goodness! No humor, these Poms....Seemed to be pissed off?

Harrumph! Left hand driving is not a thing to be mentioned lightly, sir. Wars have been started for less! thumbsup.gif

- It should be reminded that between 70 to 80% of road fatalities in Thailand involve motorcycle.

Don't bring that fact into it Johnny, it waters down the Thai Bashing frenzy that accompanies these threads, and they seem to appear quite often, ( wonder why ? ).

Quite pathetic....

So all those tragic motorcycle accidents, often involving young children, are meaningless in your book !

Pray enlighten us as to what percentage of motorcycle fatalities involve another vehicle?

Let me put it in plain text, just for you, countries like the UK have nowhere near the percentage of Motorcycles as, say Thailand for instance, are you still with me ?

Now, lets say they did have the same percentage of motorcycles as, say Thailand for instance, is it beyond you comprehension to assume the UK's road fatality rate would be higher than it is now ?

Also, if Thailand had the same motorcycle ratio as The UK, can't you see that Thailand's road fatality rates would be less than they are now, still with me ?

I'm simply pointing out something obvious, should be obvious to ThaiVisa's Thai Bashing Fraternity too.

Is that simple enough for you to understand Mancub ? blink.png

I guess it will remain a mystery as to why Thailand has this poor ranking.

overload%20%289%29.jpg

Yeah, cos when you chose to live here, you thought it was Switzerland right ?

I find it amazing that people choose to live in a developing country and are surprised that it's a developing country with developing country habits and stats coffee1.gif

Edited by Broken Record

Quite pathetic....

Let me put it in plain text, just for you, countries like the UK have nowhere near the percentage of Motorcycles as, say Thailand for instance, are you still with me ?

Now, lets say they did have the same percentage of motorcycles as, say Thailand for instance, is it beyond you comprehension to assume the UK's road fatality rate would be higher than it is now ?

Also, if Thailand had the same motorcycle ratio as The UK, can't you see that Thailand's road fatality rates would be less than they are now, still with me ?

I'm simply pointing out something obvious, should be obvious to ThaiVisa's Thai Bashing Fraternity too.

Is that simple enough for you to understand Mancub ? blink.png

Have u seen what it takes a to get a bike licence in the last 20 years in the UK?