Erawan shrine bombing takes toll on overseas tourism markets

webfact

Erawan shrine bombing takes toll on overseas tourism markets but is recovering now

61-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government has now admitted that the Erawan shrine bombing incident has taken toll on its tourism with the Tourism Authority of Thailand reporting a loss of 60 billion baht in revenues from cancellation of flights during the August-September period.

But it was confident of tourism recovery in the fourth quarter.

The Erawan shrine bombing aftermath was concluded in a report tabled for cabinet acknowledgement at today’s meeting by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

In the report compiled by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the Erawan shrine bombing on August 17 had adversely affected its overseas tourism markets.

It said 35 countries had issued levels 1-3 travel warnings to Thailand, with exception of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Slovak issuing level 4 warning or avoiding travels if not necessary.

It said its tourism offices in South Asian countries, namely Singapore, Japan, South Korea, China, Hong Kong and Vietnam, also reported cancellations of package tours and flights during August and September to Thailand.

Reservations on the August 26 flights to Thailand were also cancelled by half, it said.

Assessment of business loss from the incident to the country’s tourism markets worldwide was moderate, it said, or translated into a loss of 64.3 billion baht in tourism revenues and a missing of 1.33 million tourists visiting the country.

It went on saying that as the situation was kept under control, the recovery in tourism will be seen in the final quarter of the year.

It said local tourism was not affected by the incident although Bangkok tourism was slightly affected, particularly at the explosion area.

However tourism in the area could be fast recovered in two months time.

But it said local tourism revenue might not achieve the set target of 800 billion baht, not because of the bombing incident but purely economic matters.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/erawan-shrine-bombing-takes-toll-on-overseas-tourism-markets-but-is-recovering-now

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-09

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif but it can not be I thought BANGKOK, 7 September 2015 (NNT) - Col Winthai Suwaree, spokesperson of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) gave a daily statement on TV Pool pertaining to the Bangkok explosion that foreigners are still confident in security measures and a great number of them were visiting famous tourist attractions in Thailand.

The other day it was reported the bombing had NO effect on tourist

numbers, now the truth has seemed to come out,how can you believe

anything that is reported here,it came from TAT so it must be true biggrin.png

regards Worgeordie

but its OK because now it's recovering already ... no really coffee1.gif and by reported here did you mean by TAT, the NCPO, Thailand in general or General or TVF whistling.gif

I think the cumulative effect of the global recession, currency differences, riots, coups, police/environmental issues, competition from nearby countries AND the bombing are all to blame. Russians aren't staying away because of the bombing.

It's all coming home to roost. Maybe Thailand will wake up and deal with the issues under their control. It was all very easy to ignore these when the economy was rocking.

It went on saying that as the situation was kept under control, the recovery in tourism will be seen in the final quarter of the year.

It said local tourism was not affected by the incident although Bangkok tourism was slightly affected, particularly at the explosion area.

I would not count on that recovery, dear liars ... Soon ICAO will ban Thai Aviation and the deranged Court System will sentence 2 innocent Burmese for murder on British tourists, slavery continues and nobody gets charged ... so all in all future for tourism looks quite dark here - well deserved indeed gigglem.gif

I don't think the drop in tourism numbers have anything to do with the erawan bombing, there is a global slowdown, baltic dry index which is a very good indicator of the global economy is near an all time low.

Edited by Lukecan

I think the cumulative effect of the global recession, currency differences, riots, coups, police/environmental issues, competition from nearby countries AND the bombing are all to blame. Russians aren't staying away because of the bombing.

It's all coming home to roost. Maybe Thailand will wake up and deal with the issues under their control. It was all very easy to ignore these when the economy was rocking.

+ scams and deaths...

Yes we can all look back & wish for the days when the --over the hill ---over weight ---balding farangs were arriving by the plane load, paying the medical bills for the family buffalo & building a mansion on free land given to them by Papa---Then Joining TV and explaining to everyone just how backward & stupid the natives are.

I just look forward to those days again................The days of quality tourism ...............soon may they return.......coffee1.gif

Just take a look at the number of Farangs walking on the streets near Asoke, or any area as an example. There are not very many and shop owners say the number is way down, and say its now because of fear of the bombing. I think it has to do more with the state of the economy in thier home country. Will it continue? I don't know, but if it does it's not good for the fragile Thai economy plus the weakened Baht adds to the worry.

Tourism has been down for the past 2 years. Has nothing to do with the bomb. Love how they use every opportunity to blame something for it being down and not the fact that it's just getting too expensive and tourists are looking for cheaper options.

Meanwhile, in a recent development, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have been seen riding down Khao San Road, it's raining frogs in Pattaya and the Black Death has been reported in Phuket.

A TAT spokesman, however, denied that there was any cause for alarm and predicted an extra two million visitors this quarter.

Yes we can all look back & wish for the days when the --over the hill ---over weight ---balding farangs were arriving by the plane load, paying the medical bills for the family buffalo & building a mansion on free land given to them by Papa---Then Joining TV and explaining to everyone just how backward & stupid the natives are.

I just look forward to those days again................The days of quality tourism ...............soon may they return.......coffee1.gif

So you think the new travelers, the arabs, indians, bangladeshis, chinese and russians is better?

Thailand has sadly become yesterdays paradise. Certainly a combination of things have brought it it's current woes and it is hard to see how it will improve it's lot. I can't see how the Chinese tourist industry will do anything other than drive away any well heeled tourists or ex-pats that historically have headed here year on year. Terrible shame.

Tourism has been down for the past 2 years. Has nothing to do with the bomb. Love how they use every opportunity to blame something for it being down and not the fact that it's just getting too expensive and tourists are looking for cheaper options.

Not to mention its dangerous... in many shapes and forms...

I would not count on that recovery, dear liars ... Soon ICAO will ban Thai Aviation and the deranged Court System will sentence 2 innocent Burmese for murder on British tourists, slavery continues and nobody gets charged ... so all in all future for tourism looks quite dark here - well deserved indeed gigglem.gif

3 million baht paid to the police who are already being paid to make arrests rather than the member of the public who's vital input has lead to catching the bomber may also be a contributing factor. Turn it around Mr. PM and save Thailand please; If you have the minerals! Do you?

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif but it can not be I thought BANGKOK, 7 September 2015 (NNT) - Col Winthai Suwaree, spokesperson of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) gave a daily statement on TV Pool pertaining to the Bangkok explosion that foreigners are still confident in security measures and a great number of them were visiting famous tourist attractions in Thailand.

does baghdad bob ring a bell?

I agree, they are reaping what they sow, its the same old story.

Imagine if they had capitalised on the strong economy by dealing with these issues then. They would be in a stronger place today and be able to weather the storm better for circumstances beyond their control, and of course there are some.

However, the total lack of competence and the continued desire, or culture (call it what you will) to brush things under the carpet and pretend everything is ok is crippling Thailand.

Thailand needs honest and serious people to recognise the issues and actively plan to deal with them with total transparency. Right now this is never going to happen due to lost face, ignorance or whatever.

I am living and working here and I genuinely hope that things will change but holding my breath would be foolish.