Erawan shrine bombing takes toll on overseas tourism markets

webfact

...But it was confident of tourism recovery in the fourth quarter.

Indeed, You'd think they'd be embarrassed at the constant and obvious BS they spout. But apparently not. Perhaps it's only intended for the Thai audience, yes, I'm sure that's it.

I think the people who spout the BS are lost in their own world. From what I can see it doesn't matter what nonsense they spout (and we have seen some ridiculous statements that a child would not believe) as long as they do not admit it they see no loss of face. Never mind how much people are laughing at what they said, as long as they dont admit it.

Thai officials are like the little kid with chocolate crumbs all over his face denying he has scoffed the cake.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes we can all look back & wish for the days when the --over the hill ---over weight ---balding farangs were arriving by the plane load, paying the medical bills for the family buffalo & building a mansion on free land given to them by Papa---Then Joining TV and explaining to everyone just how backward & stupid the natives are.

I just look forward to those days again................The days of quality tourism ...............soon may they return.......coffee1.gif

Oh dear, sounding a bit judgemental and bitter there. I think your statement says more about you then the overweight, balding men.

As long as people return to spend money and strengthen the economy what's it to you who they are and what they do?

Try and have a great day, smile at the next bald man you see and whatever you do, don't ever change.

...But it was confident of tourism recovery in the fourth quarter.

Indeed, You'd think they'd be embarrassed at the constant and obvious BS they spout. But apparently not. Perhaps it's only intended for the Thai audience, yes, I'm sure that's it.

As Honest Abe pointed out, "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time".

Eventually (I hope), this message may even get through to non-Farang.

Just take a look at the number of Farangs walking on the streets near Asoke, or any area as an example. There are not very many and shop owners say the number is way down, and say its now because of fear of the bombing. I think it has to do more with the state of the economy in thier home country. Will it continue? I don't know, but if it does it's not good for the fragile Thai economy plus the weakened Baht adds to the worry.

I think you will find a weak baht is good for tourism.

Just take a look at the number of Farangs walking on the streets near Asoke, or any area as an example. There are not very many and shop owners say the number is way down, and say its now because of fear of the bombing. I think it has to do more with the state of the economy in thier home country. Will it continue? I don't know, but if it does it's not good for the fragile Thai economy plus the weakened Baht adds to the worry.

[/quote

I have been here a number of years and have many friends in business including tourism. The whole demise of tourism and business investment started when the military coup happened. Many small businesses have closed mainly those that relyed on tourism such as tourist shops, clothing shops, bars, and as for investment any one from the world outside of Thailand will tell you there is simply no interest in the country, especially with all the foot in the mouth statements and decisions coming out of the junta.

I don't think the drop in tourism numbers have anything to do with the erawan bombing, there is a global slowdown, baltic dry index which is a very good indicator of the global economy is near an all time low.

Speak for yourself.....mine are doing quite nicely ..thank you.

And helping certain parts of the economy I should add.thumbsup.gif

I suspect that the huge influx from China is also contributing to a negative impact on quality tourists and discouraging the quality tourist from visiting Thailand.

Much of Thailand is based on the small family enterprise which has been traditionally supported by Caucasian tourists and visitors.

However many of these small enterprises are being killed by the presence of Chinese tourists whose custom is to take take lots of photos but not give any support to handicrafts, antiques, textiles, small family run eateries and the family operated guest houses. I believe this will be another factor in any drop in visitors.

The OP understates the problem.

The loss of direct spending is fairly calculated. If there is a drop of 1.33 million visitors, than the loss of direct spending should be about 65 billion as reported.

However, direct spending is only half the story. Due to the multiplier effect, especially with foreign tourist money injected into the economy, the total impact on the economy will be about double the spending number, or a decline in GDP of about 130 billion.

The Thai total economy (annual GDP) is around 13 trillion.

That means this drop in tourism could result in up to a 1% decline in GDP.

Considering the GDP growth right now in Thailand is projected to be 2.5 to 3% for the year, a 1 point deduction is a MAJOR issue.

As I understand it, though, the 4th Quarter will make everything OK because the 4th Quarter is such a bad_ass. wai.gif

Edited by phoenixdoglover

" BANGKOK: -- The government has now admitted that the Erawan shrine bombing incident has taken toll on its tourism with the Tourism Authority of Thailand reporting a loss of 60 billion baht in revenues from cancellation of flights during the August-September period, as Quoted "

Easy for them to now while their at it blame the bomb blasting for lack of tourism then to admit their own failures to serve and protect the tourists from their own Police Force ( clowns ) Arrassing tourist for Tea money and being part of the Jet Ski scams All over, Lady boys robbing tourist left and right on Phuket, Pattaya and Thai men raping female tourist.....

NO TAT... As I mentioned before, they need to get their house in order before tourist will return, but I'm skeptical The Thai tourist industry will EVER RECOVER from the impact their actions had on tourist the past years.

Just as a example, 4 of my family members ( mostly young men in their 20's ) came to Thailand on vacation and ALL of them were scammed or extorted for Tea Money on their stay here.

My sisters one son now 25 was "fined" 1000 bath for driving his rented scooter with his headlight on in daylight and the very same day later that evening a ladyboy grabbed him by the balls and another robbed him of his wallet and gold chain in Phuket...and police would not even listen to his complaint. What a fantastic vacation and lots of positive stories he had to take back home to encourage his mates to also visit Thailand......

I love this place to bits and it's sad to say, but Thailand lost its culture and is reaching the end very quickly. As they say, all good things comes to a end.

Amazing Thailand.

Edited by CapeThai

I can see no real meaningful change is likely to occur here in my lifetime. These folks just can't handle truth. They can't be shown to owning up to making mistakes or underestimations. My limited Buddhist understanding has helped me to accept the fact that the potholes in our roads are here to stay. I'm now okay with that.

I think you will find a weak baht is good for tourism.

Indeed it is so, but if the baht is weak because of mismanagement, criminality and fears of more bombings, I can't see how that would be good for tourism. Or anything else for that matter unless you are holding USD.

Last week it was reported that IQ tests of TAT were taken, and they came up with a score of 112. However, that was only AFTER the combined scores of the 15 TAT employees were added up.

coffee1.gif

The IQ tests were skewed, They summed the first 3 rows at the seminar.

112 my black *ss. That puts TAT 23 points above the National average. Which doesn't seem hugely likely.

Probably the examiners were asked what was the biggest joke in Thailand at the moment and they naturally answered "112".

Edited by Jon Wetherall

" BANGKOK: -- The government has now admitted that the Erawan shrine bombing incident has taken toll on its tourism with the Tourism Authority of Thailand reporting a loss of 60 billion baht in revenues from cancellation of flights during the August-September period, as Quoted "

Easy for them to now while their at it blame the bomb blasting for lack of tourism then to admit their own failures to serve and protect the tourists from their own Police Force ( clowns ) Arrassing tourist for Tea money and being part of the Jet Ski scams All over, Lady boys robbing tourist left and right on Phuket, Pattaya and Thai men raping female tourist.....

NO TAT... As I mentioned before, they need to get their house in order before tourist will return, but I'm skeptical The Thai tourist industry will EVER RECOVER from the impact their actions had on tourist the past years.

Just as a example, 4 of my family members ( mostly young men in their 20's ) came to Thailand on vacation and ALL of them were scammed or extorted for Tea Money on their stay here.

My sisters one son now 25 was "fined" 1000 bath for driving his rented scooter with his headlight on in daylight and the very same day later that evening a ladyboy grabbed him by the balls and another robbed him of his wallet and gold chain in Phuket...and police would not even listen to his complaint. What a fantastic vacation and lots of positive stories he had to take back home to encourage his mates to also visit Thailand......

I love this place to bits and it's sad to say, but Thailand lost its culture and is reaching the end very quickly. As they say, all good things comes to a end.

Amazing Thailand.

Inclined to agree on all points. Sadly.

The OP understates the problem.

The loss of direct spending is fairly calculated. If there is a drop of 1.33 million visitors, than the loss of direct spending should be about 65 billion as reported.

However, direct spending is only half the story. Due to the multiplier effect, especially with foreign tourist money injected into the economy, the total impact on the economy will be about double the spending number, or a decline in GDP of about 130 billion.

The Thai total economy (annual GDP) is around 13 trillion.

That means this drop in tourism could result in up to a 1% decline in GDP.

Considering the GDP growth right now in Thailand is projected to be 2.5 to 3% for the year, a 1 point deduction is a MAJOR issue.

As I understand it, though, the 4th Quarter will make everything OK because the 4th Quarter is such a bad_ass. wai.gif

You must have been listening to Mr P's weekly show.

It was you was it?

Thats if they don't have another big bang in Bang kok before the next quarter we skipped a planed couple of days in Bangkok before our flight out as I felt (a little) safer away from the tourist traps and its cheaper.

Tourism has been down for the past 2 years. Has nothing to do with the bomb. Love how they use every opportunity to blame something for it being down and not the fact that it's just getting too expensive and tourists are looking for cheaper options.

I agree with much of that, tho shop owners will tell you tourism has been down for a lot more than two years. Remember when high season lasted for months, hotels packed the whole time? Now high season is a blip of weeks on the calendar, sometimes less.

It said its tourism offices in South Asian countries, namely Singapore, Japan, South Korea, China, Hong Kong and Vietnam, also reported cancellations of package tours and flights during August and September to Thailand.

South Asia is India, Sri Lanka and the Maldives but certainly not countries in ASEAN or East Asia.

As for the issue of numbers are dropping, no worry TAT will ask for a fatter budget that can be shared with their executives.

Yes we can all look back & wish for the days when the --over the hill ---over weight ---balding farangs were arriving by the plane load, paying the medical bills for the family buffalo & building a mansion on free land given to them by Papa---Then Joining TV and explaining to everyone just how backward & stupid the natives are.

I just look forward to those days again................The days of quality tourism ...............soon may they return.......coffee1.gif

Oh dear, sounding a bit judgemental and bitter there. I think your statement says more about you then the overweight, balding men.

As long as people return to spend money and strengthen the economy what's it to you who they are and what they do?

Try and have a great day, smile at the next bald man you see and whatever you do, don't ever change.

Probably a teacher with s degree in Astrology !

Talking to my ex last week she told me that she had just finished a holiday in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam as she believed Thailand had lost a lot of it's reputation for standards of service and was more expensive than other places around the area.

Her words not mine.

I took to counting the busses parked outside my condo at view talay 5 in jomtien. When I arrived in February there was on average 11. By June were were averaging 21 busses. After the bombing there was maybe 2. I flew back to the USA a few days ago and numbers of Chinese busses were about 7.

AS much as I love Thailand and its people- we have to admit the fact that its tourist areas are way over built and the costs of hotels and entertainment have risen to a point that many former arrivals are now opting for Cambodia, Lao, Vietnam and the Philippines. The problem is that many business owners do not recognize the fact that they must lower prices and make up the difference in volume. Instead, they raise prices which turns off customers and makes them not competitive. New tourists are starting to avoid Thailand because it is not competitive with other destinations. I remember when the Germans came and gone; the American came and gone; the Saudis came and gone; the Russians came and gone; now it is the Chinese- but they don't spend like the others. No one is going to replace the Western big spenders who came with pockets full and found a home to come back to. In addition, the restrictions and hassles at the airport for Visa entry- people are tired of the hassle. While i understand why Immigration has been tightened- the way it is being carried out has taken its toll on tourism. Itis really not the bombs- it is a compilation of many factors over several years.A perfect example is the Indian community warning Pattaya about Jet Ski scams. Yet it continues, without any reform. India will be the most populous country in the World soon and vast increases in spending power, but they won't be spending their money in Thailand and we know why. .

Its not the police- most tourists do not even think about- It is about Beer, Booze and Birds which all cost much more than ever. Tourists vote with their pocket. In regards to retirement- no doubt Thailand is more expensive than ever before- however, the devaluation of the Baht is helping. but eating out, travelling within the country and purchasing Western Foods and alcohol costs more. Thailand's archaic tax system on imported goods without any local substitution is at fault here.

The University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce estimate that the Ratchaprasong explosion caused a loss of about Bt70 billion to the Thai economy. The Nation 2015-09-04

The Junta should reimburse the Thai taxpayers for the loss out of its defense budget.