13 vehicle pile-up causes traffic chaos on Pattaya Highway

webfact

13 vehicle pile-up causes traffic chaos on Pattaya Highway

road-7.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- 13 vehicles were damaged in a road crash on Highway 36 on Thursday morning and Police reported that no injuries to any drivers or passengers in any of the vehicles was sustained.

A 2km tail-back occurred as a result of the crash which appears to have started when an 18-wheel truck struck the rear of a vehicle. The truck stopped abruptly which saw cars and trucks behind him brake heavily.

At the rear of the group of vehicles was a 6-wheel gas truck which could not brake in time and rear-ended a car which caused a domino effect involving a total of 13 vehicles.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/217858/13-vehicle-pile-up-causes-traffic-chaos-on-pattaya-highway/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-09-11

Even before I opened the topic, I knew it was Hwy 36.

The rush to and from work on this heavily used road is a daily nightmare for many, and the lighting and road surface are abysmal.

Edited by jacko45k

The rush to and from work on this heavily used road is a daily nightmare for many, and the lighting and road surface are abysmal.

Yes, the road is inadequate for the volume of traffic, and the highway was not built to standard (as if any standards for highway design and construction exist in Thailand). I believe they are starting construction on a new highway between Pattaya and Rayong. However, this collision was due to people driving too fast for conditions and following too close to the vehicle in front of them.

You think too much.

He is right, you ever been on this Hwy 36 in the busy time, it is a nightmare. He is stating a fact not thinking about it.

Think too much not good.

coffee1.gif

Those Fortuna's don't hold up to well in a crash, it seems.

it used to be Nissan Cefiro drivers, now it seems that Fortuner drivers have the smallest willies and biggest egos, leading them to be recognised tailgaters.

OK done with this mornings behavioural Psychology lesson,,,,,,

Typically they would turn on the street lights during the day time. thats prolly why the lighting is abysmal.

Anywhere in Thailand cars and trucks travel, at high speed, too close to each other. Rear-enders are inevitable. The close travel, the constant lane changing is just another form selfishness, bullying and intimidation, that is so common in today's Thailand.

Bangkok to Pattaya and travelling at 120-130 km/hr, how much time is really saved against those doing the speed limit ? Not even 15 minutes.

Couldnt stop in time?????? My arse. If these clowns didnt drive so close to each other they wouldnt hit the back of the car in front when it brakes hard.

It will never change. Just make sure you look after yourself when driving around with these crackpots.

Serves them right, leave more space

Not possible, if you try then someone will get into that space....... it would appear most would rather hit the car in front then leave a gap for another driver to get into.

I always leave a decent amount if space incase I need to brake hard. When these clowns try to under take me and cut in to my lane in to my safety space I floor it so they have to brake. They then sit on my bumper itching to get past. Just keep tapping the brake pedal with my left foot a few times and they back off.

not keeping safe distance

liking to slow down to check the road accidents

leading to ... more accidents

Is the rule here the same as in the West? You must be in control of your vehicle at all times? Looks like a lot of drivers here were day dreaming. I guess the gas tanker was the straw that really broke the camels back so to speak.

Typically they would turn on the street lights during the day time. thats prolly why the lighting is abysmal.

Used it last night to/ from the collection of puddles currently known as lake Mabphrachan. Just after the flyover for the motorway you are plunged into darkness as you come upon U-Turns where cars and bikes dash across in-front like wilderbeast. Getting onto Hwy36 was dangerous as a solid line of trucks kept left for the Bangkok Rd and filtering in and out (and letting people in) doesn't happen too well. You get the impression everyone wants to make a battle of it. My alternative, all the way around the lake to the Railway line bypass Rd is much further and very slow.