Thai fishermen defy order to get rid of fish traps

webfact

Fishermen defy order to get rid of fish traps

9-10-2015-7-18-15-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Fishermen in Songkhla’s Singha Nakorn district have defied the government’s order to remove their stake fish traps, surrounding nets and other illegal fishing gears and instead threatened to block the Songkhla lake.

Meanwhile in Nakhon Si Thammarat, small-scale fishermen continue to use their illegal fishing gears to catch fish in the sea and have refused to get rid of them.

According to the Fisheries Department, there are over 1,500 stake fish traps or pongpang and over 27,000 small fish traps or sai in Songkhla lake. Since 1978, the department has stopped issuing licences for stake fish traps and it can be assumed that most of the stake fish traps in the lake are illegal.

Violators who refuse to remove the illegal fishing gears will be liable to five years imprisonment and/ or a fine of between 100,000-500,000 baht.

It was reported that the committee tasked with solving illegal fishing problem may extend the deadline for the removal of the illegal fishing gears to early October.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fishermen-defy-order-to-get-rid-of-fish-traps

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-11

So licences were stopped being issued in 1978, there are over 1,500 stake fish traps or pongpang and over 27,000 small fish traps. If the Thai fisheries department has not done anything to stop this illegal activity in 37 years, i don't think the fishermen will be that worried about October!

So licences were stopped being issued in 1978, there are over 1,500 stake fish traps or pongpang and over 27,000 small fish traps. If the Thai fisheries department has not done anything to stop this illegal activity in 37 years, i don't think the fishermen will be that worried about October!

To that there is the elephant in the room, why in 37 years have the fisheries not removed the traps? Ahhh we all know the answer to that.whistling.gif

This is a great example of what happens when enforcement of the law is ignored. The infringement becomes part of the culture, and when finally something HAS to be done, the people are outraged and resistant, understandably.

It's the same with the road rules.

It's the same with corruption.

It's the same with forest encroachment.

It's the same with probably every aspect of Thai law except for LM and defamation.

Is this a bad photograph? Looks like the pic is showing krachang for growing baramundi from fingerlings supplied by the govt. I believe the crackdown is to do with fixed nets being placed in the current to catch shrimp and other fishes. Other than the depletion of natural resources in the gulf to feed the captive fishes, it is not such an ecological disaster(as compared to the pongpang and sai).

To that there is the elephant in the room, why in 37 years have the fisheries not removed the traps? Ahhh we all know the answer to that.whistling.gif

No Game & Fish Wardens?

No matter if there was. They'd be bribed.

If there is one cop force in the US that I completely respect and admire, that would be Game Wardens. They don't play.

-----------

Turkeys were almost extinct in the eastern US 25 years ago. Same as many species (alligators, bears, cranes, snook fish, etc).

I'm no fan of the Nanny state, but this one the guv't got right.

Florida is a much more beautiful state now that killing a crane will get you 25 years in the pen.

This is a great example of what happens when enforcement of the law is ignored. The infringement becomes part of the culture, and when finally something HAS to be done, the people are outraged and resistant, understandably.

It's the same with the road rules.

It's the same with corruption.

It's the same with forest encroachment.

It's the same with probably every aspect of Thai law except for LM and defamation.

Exactly, its called Thainess!

So when the fishermen start crying that the EU have banned their fish they should be given no sympathy at all. Also the government should have no sympathetic argument. if they can't enforce the law then they should not be in power.

It would seem to me that either there are stupid people (in charge) out there who want to see the fishing industry collapse or the people in charge, just don't care. Either way it will end in tears.

So when the fishermen start crying that the EU have banned their fish they should be given no sympathy at all. Also the government should have no sympathetic argument. if they can't enforce the law then they should not be in power.

It would seem to me that either there are stupid people (in charge) out there who want to see the fishing industry collapse or the people in charge, just don't care. Either way it will end in tears.

No worries.

They'll start a fish-pledging scheme.

Has there ever been a "deadline" set in Thailand that was not extended when people ignored it?

Maybe they just don't really understand what "deadline" means?

I got fined 2 months ago 2,000 baht for being late with the 90 days....................sad.png

So yes, there are some.............................tongue.png

what a joke this country is when it comes to policing the law, just go in and destroy them all, they are illegal so they should not be there anyway. Why is it that thais think they can do as they please and ignore the law, time for those enforcing thew law(or not) to grow some balls and do their job, screw what the fisherman want.

Don't care gets my vote. Thai exceptionalism.

And this government really doesn't recognise that Thais don't really give a rat's *ss for the law. Because there is usually no downside. Prosecute them? Nah. Not the Thai way.

Just accept the red card, then they'll not have customers for their illegal fish.

Then it'll be:

1. Farang no understand Thai.

2. Farang working with incomplete information.

3. We told farang what a good job we doing, They no believe.

4. Falang misunderstanding, we explain them.

5. Maybe we invite EU in for attitude adjustment.

All a bit predictable I'm afraid. Still, look on the bright side. If they *do* get red carded, it's be headless chicken time again. Highly entertaining and very instructive.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

Is this a bad photograph? Looks like the pic is showing krachang for growing baramundi from fingerlings supplied by the govt. I believe the crackdown is to do with fixed nets being placed in the current to catch shrimp and other fishes. Other than the depletion of natural resources in the gulf to feed the captive fishes, it is not such an ecological disaster(as compared to the pongpang and sai).

I wonder about that also; the picture looks like a file photo of a flooded area.

Yes Why should they do as the Government want? they have been doing this illegal fishing since day dot,,,Before day dot it was not illegal,,,

They don't give a rats ass about the Law,,,This is Thailand they do what they want,,,Who is going to sop them?The Law?the Army?the Navy? ,,,None of them got big enough Balls to stop them,,, Maybe the PM should have a go at them ,he seems serious enough.

what a joke this country is when it comes to policing the law, just go in and destroy them all, they are illegal so they should not be there anyway. Why is it that thais think they can do as they please and ignore the law, time for those enforcing thew law(or not) to grow some balls and do their job, screw what the fisherman want.

If they did that, they'd march on parliament in "Fish-colored" shirts (whatever color that may be), and perhaps shut down the airport & such.

Perhaps somebody should come colonize the country for a few decades & let them kick us out by force....Just guessing but that might bring the populace together, finally, someday, maybe?

Nah. Liberal do-gooder thoughts there. Nevermind.

I see no end to the chaos.

Has there ever been a "deadline" set in Thailand that was not extended when people ignored it?

Maybe they just don't really understand what "deadline" means?

I got fined 2 months ago 2,000 baht for being late with the 90 days....................sad.png

So yes, there are some.............................tongue.png

Sorry, my error.

I should have been more specific.

When Thai people ignore the deadline, it is extended.

Not for Farang!

Farang have much money and will pay...keep deadline for Farang!wai2.gif

Just accept the red card, then they'll not have customers for their illegal fish.

Seafood is a global commodity. If the Euros and Americans don't buy Thai seafood, they'll buy somewhere else. Of course, that means displacing the current customers of "somewhere else", who will have to look somewhere even elser.

And then the Chinese, Russians, Koreans, Japanese and others that don't care about red cards will buy from Thailand.

Edited by impulse

I am pretty sure this is a Thai scientific study to benefit the world.

In this study we will attempt to catch every living thing from the sea, destroy all coastal mangrove areas, pollute it with trash and chemicals and see what happens.

Edited by dcutman