Koh Tao murders: 2 DNA profiles from alleged murder weapon do not match defendants' DNA

webfact

Would fit very well in the whole set up

but his promotion and transfer has been planned before this murder case

- if I can trust my memory

While that could be true statement, it doesn't quite answer why he was pulled off the case at such a critical time, just after he released a report that he had evidence that connected both Mon and Nomsod to the crime scene. I think that caused a few ruffling of feathers, and he backtracked out of it over the few following days until 'Jackdaw' (appointed by Somyot) took over.

Anyway - off current topic, and debated to death on this forum.

Panya's promotion and transfer went into effect six days after he had announced the Tuwichians in the clear. I must admit to being mystified as why so many read so much into statements made by the RTP on a single day following the media circus around Sean McKenna's alleged (probably true) claim that Mon was trying to frame him and kill him. The "investigation" was a farce from the beginning. Panya allowed the local police to take the lead in "investigating" the case, and showed little interest in checking what they were telling him. He would have been forced to discuss the Tuwichians with the local police on September 23, but was happy to accept the local police's assurances that Mon and crew had cooperated and been cleared. He did not even bother to speak with Mon himself. He would have been well aware that the local police were in the process of creating scapegoats, and allowed this to go on. Panya, knowing that his promotion and transfer were imminent, was quite happy to leave the conclusion of the case to his successor. Being allowed to drop this hot potato on someone else was his good fortune.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While that could be true statement, it doesn't quite answer why he was pulled off the case at such a critical time, just after he released a report that he had evidence that connected both Mon and Nomsod to the crime scene. I think that caused a few ruffling of feathers, and he backtracked out of it over the few following days until 'Jackdaw' (appointed by Somyot) took over.

Anyway - off current topic, and debated to death on this forum.

Panya's promotion and transfer went into effect six days after he had announced the Tuwichians in the clear. I must admit to being mystified as why so many read so much into statements made by the RTP on a single day following the media circus around Sean McKenna's alleged (probably true) claim that Mon was trying to frame him and kill him. The "investigation" was a farce from the beginning. Panya allowed the local police to take the lead in "investigating" the case, and showed little interest in checking what they were telling him. He would have been forced to discuss the Tuwichians with the local police on September 23, but was happy to accept the local police's assurances that Mon and crew had cooperated and been cleared. He did not even bother to speak with Mon himself. He would have been well aware that the local police were in the process of creating scapegoats, and allowed this to go on. Panya, knowing that his promotion and transfer were imminent, was quite happy to leave the conclusion of the case to his successor. Being allowed to drop this hot potato on someone else was his good fortune.

Agreed, Panya's been debated to death in previous topics and in my opinion the most credible and reasonable theory on the start of this whole cover-up comes from Sonti, which I've posted again as I personally believe this to be true and as accurate as possible commentary on what happened in the initial stages of the enquiry.

Edited by thailandchilli

Perhaps the RTP forensics teams just binned the blonde hair as they kept trying to get DNA from it, and no results were coming through............because it was from a blonde wig wink.png

Did'nt a close friend of the AC bar family like to wear a blond wig when he was being a DJ.........the local cop !

I forgot.......rolleyes.gif .......Did Mon come forward to give a DNA sample AFTER the B2 samples were "provided" to 'implicate' them to the crime...?

No he first refused a DNA when he was first interviewed after the fiasco with Sean. However then there are reports that he did have a DNA test very soon after that. I personally believe he waited for the DNA test after ensuring any incriminating evidence was well and truly disposed of.

I forgot.......rolleyes.gif .......Did Mon come forward to give a DNA sample AFTER the B2 samples were "provided" to 'implicate' them to the crime...?

Yes.

But his giving of dna is only rumour, not fact.

Evidence at trial, which makes it fact according to the rtp defenders, is that no one has actually seen the results of that test and no one knows where the results are.

Note the date (25 Sep 2014). This was during the tenure of Lt Gen Panya Mamen. Clearing Mon and Nomsod took just 24 hours. Some have claimed Panya was trying hard to find the real villains. If there is any connection between his promotion (1 Oct 2014) to Assistant Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police in Bangkok and protecting the Tuwichians (which I do not believe) it would surely be that the promotion was a reward for providing that protection.

Personally, I am convinced that Panya already knew about the promotion, and was not particularly concerned about the case. Sean McKenna's panicked posts on social media made Mon and his pet police sidekick impossible to totally ignore. The local Koh Tao police said the Tawichians had cooperated and were in the clear. Panya could not be bothered to check and just repeated this to the media.

First off, I think the blond hair belonged to one of the two cops' wigs, both of which were completely blond. However, RTP did mention a root on the hair, and wig hairs don't have individual roots, do they? Yet, the cops seemed sure the hair was blonde, which is a observational feat in itself, looking at just one hair. 50% of Thai chicks wish they had blond hair, but when they bleach their black hair it becomes reddish - as shown in 'Hoe Man's' g.f.'s pic. I don't completely discount she's involved, but I doubt it. However she, like a dozen or two others on the island, probably knows who was involved, and like all those others, won't tell what she knows.

As for the initial head investigating cop: Panya appeared to be doing his job somewhat well, in terms of trying to find who did the crime. He and his team missed and disregarded many clues, but we've come to expect that from even the best Thai crime investigators. I don't think Panya deliberately trashed clues in those first few days, but the successor team headed by Somyot did. And of course Mon was busy from the time of the crime onwards, frantically trying to alter, hide, and destroy evidence.

When Panya was jerked off the job (in order to change the direction of the investigation to not mention anyone connected to the Headman), he was given a promotion, a desk job in Bkk and told to keep mum. He and other cops on his team were probably also given money bonuses, as alluded to by the PM at the time (rewards for doing excellent jobs).

I remember it that way also, and you can see recent reports about the rotation of the public service staff in Thailand.

I'd never be able to find the link, but the shiftings/promotions were set in meetings in BKK a good 2 or 3 months previous to the mooves.

The posters that keep carrying on with the

" but Panya was pulled off the case when..." crap need to just drop it.

If B.S like this keeps getting perpetuated it makes us look no better than the other side.

Whoever released the crime pictures of the victims, should be sent to jail immediatly and sacked from their employment.

Any human being that can upload pictures of the two murder victims is a very sick individual, and in my opinion is just as bad as the people who committed these acts, maybe the people are known to each other?

"in my opinion is just as bad as the people who committed these acts"

Really? Just as bad? Really? Come on now...

At face value and by Western standards where one could hope for an impartial investigation, Boris was right. But he seems to have overlooked the possibility that whoever posted the photographs wanted them in the public domain to create greater public and international outrage and, thereby, greater public scrutiny of the investigation in the knowledge that a cover-up or, at least, a botched investigation was highly likely. Remember that a senior policeman and, presumably, his loyalists too were sidelined after taking a 'wrong tack' in the investigation and life may now never be quite the same again for them and their families.

Whatever the reasons for posting the photographs they did result in greatly heightened public outrage and interest in the crimes and dubious police investigation. Would the hundreds of thousands of followers accrued by CSI LA or the petition to David Cameron (irrespective of the British government's irresponsible and possibly criminal decisions made consequent to it) have happened without the photographs? I doubt if. Now it seems they are they only photographs of the crime scene, including the possible criminal alterations that were made to it, that the defence has been allowed to see, since police refused to share their official crime scene photographs.

It is common practice for RTP on Koh Samui to flash pics of this kind around. I have seen several in recent times from RTP which have been sent by mobile phone to a certain friend who is in close contact with the police. Not so long ago i was in a bar talking with a guy who had come to fetch his brother who had died from a heart attack. Unbeknown at the time i was later shown a police pic of the "heart attack" victim with a cord around his neck and hands tied at the wrists.

we are unable to link this story but worth a look if you google "the-chilling-effect-koh-tao-suspects"

Mr Justice Green's report in full:attachicon.gifHQ15X0311 FINAL AP.CK.pdf all 38 pages.

In street language, What is he saying ?

While he doesn't consider there is anything significant that could help the defence, he is uneasy that he upheld the retention of the report in house, and he offered the defence an appeal - which they rejected.

Unfortunately, while being as fair as he could be, IMO, and went out of his way to explain his reasoning, he didn't possess all the facts and investigation reports - so a few of his statements were not 100% factual. It's debatable whether they would have been significant or not.

That's my take on it. Make of it how you will.

The Google link is a media report - worth clicking on and reading the cache version.

Edited by stephenterry

And maybe that's why the first Rtp were checking women because they had a tip off. And if they had identified the woman and she implicated Nomsod he would rely on his bkk alibi.

It is amazing how much lateral thinking has taken place within this forum, and I applaud those who have spent so much time and effort contributing to the honest, objective analysis of the very limited factual information available.

One thing is clear to me and that is the Thai police (incl Panya) should be brought to account for the gross lack of unbiased investigating and then the obvious cover-up that has been perpetrated. It is impossible to find any truth within the volume of contradictory and misleading statements by the Thai police.

I gave up believing anything the police said a long time ago, because I am convinced they are actively protecting one, or more of their own. The existence of verifiable DNA is in question, and quite rightly so. If this is in question, then so should the police statements about the blonde hair be. How can it ever be verified that the blonde hair actually had a root attached? Maybe the police said this was so, to prevent any fingers being pointed in their direction?

I think the blonde hair is the link

who had blonde hair?

who changed their hair colour after the crime?

No one, it came from a wig probably worn by a certain policeman

Not true. The hair in Hannah's hand had roots attached. It did not come from a wig. That is factual (as far as anything coming from the Thai forensics could ever be).

And to AGareth - there is also the possibility that Hannah's killer was female, and did not need to change her hair colour. If you read my above posts, you will see my reasoning.

Edited by stephenterry

If a police officer takes the lead on a double murder investigation it would be normal sensible and common practise to have him remain until the investigation has concluded, to have him abruptly removed and transferred whether already on the cards or not was unprofessional and wrong, the reason for this is obvious and well proven

If a police officer takes the lead on a double murder investigation it would be normal sensible and common practise to have him remain until the investigation has concluded, to have him abruptly removed and transferred whether already on the cards or not was unprofessional and wrong, the reason for this is obvious and well proven

God help us. The Thai public must be the most gullible in the world to believe what the police generals say. Total B/S as soon as they open their mouths. Being unprofessional is a required job criteria, don't you think?

Note the date (25 Sep 2014). This was during the tenure of Lt Gen Panya Mamen. Clearing Mon and Nomsod took just 24 hours. Some have claimed Panya was trying hard to find the real villains. If there is any connection between his promotion (1 Oct 2014) to Assistant Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police in Bangkok and protecting the Tuwichians (which I do not believe) it would surely be that the promotion was a reward for providing that protection.

Personally, I am convinced that Panya already knew about the promotion, and was not particularly concerned about the case. Sean McKenna's panicked posts on social media made Mon and his pet police sidekick impossible to totally ignore. The local Koh Tao police said the Tawichians had cooperated and were in the clear. Panya could not be bothered to check and just repeated this to the media.

First off, I think the blond hair belonged to one of the two cops' wigs, both of which were completely blond. However, RTP did mention a root on the hair, and wig hairs don't have individual roots, do they? Yet, the cops seemed sure the hair was blonde, which is a observational feat in itself, looking at just one hair. 50% of Thai chicks wish they had blond hair, but when they bleach their black hair it becomes reddish - as shown in 'Hoe Man's' g.f.'s pic. I don't completely discount she's involved, but I doubt it. However she, like a dozen or two others on the island, probably knows who was involved, and like all those others, won't tell what she knows.

As for the initial head investigating cop: Panya appeared to be doing his job somewhat well, in terms of trying to find who did the crime. He and his team missed and disregarded many clues, but we've come to expect that from even the best Thai crime investigators. I don't think Panya deliberately trashed clues in those first few days, but the successor team headed by Somyot did. And of course Mon was busy from the time of the crime onwards, frantically trying to alter, hide, and destroy evidence.

When Panya was jerked off the job (in order to change the direction of the investigation to not mention anyone connected to the Headman), he was given a promotion, a desk job in Bkk and told to keep mum. He and other cops on his team were probably also given money bonuses, as alluded to by the PM at the time (rewards for doing excellent jobs).

The circumstances surrounding the reason for and the date of Panya's promotion out of Surat Thani have been the subject of much discussion and disagreement in the past. I think initially, JD said Panya's promotion out of Surat Thani had been advertised a few months before the event, but no substantive evidence was seen. Later, either GB or AG made the same assertion, but when asked for evidence could only post a copy of the Gazette announcing Panya's promotion (2 - 3 years earlier) into his position within Surat Thani province.

IMHO, and in the light of the sudden change in the direction of the investigation, I'm inclined to believe he was promoted out of Surat Thani for 'turning a blind eye' to all the evidence already obtained, which if persued in a professional manner, would have pointed in the wrong direction.

Edited by joebrown

"Thai Police Lieutenant Colonel Somsak Nurod said that a hair with roots that was found in Ms Witheridge’s hand had not been pursued as a lead in the case."

How many more nails does this coffin need?

He said it wasn't persued as a lead probably because they already knew whose hair it was.

"Thai Police Lieutenant Colonel Somsak Nurod said that a hair with roots that was found in Ms Witheridge’s hand had not been pursued as a lead in the case."

He said it wasn't persued as a lead probably because they already knew whose hair it was.

And how did they know that? Maybe presumed it was one of Hannah's own?

I think, knowing the RTP, there are two obvious likely reasons, though they are not proven. The first you stated yourself: simply being extremely unprofessional. The other would be that Panya did not want the case. His promotion to one of the plumb jobs shows he had significant pull, and he could use this influence to offload a case that could have threatened his career.

God help us. The Thai public must be the most gullible in the world to believe what the police generals say. Total B/S as soon as they open their mouths. Being unprofessional is a required job criteria, don't you think?

The Thai public are not really so gullible…… Folks often do know plenty, and in private some do have an opinion about many things. However, they do also know that for one reason or another, speaking up is either pointless, or inadvisable.

I agree. Somsak Nurod should be arrested for perverting the course of justice. I would not be surprised if the DNA on it was from a female, which could explain this subterfuge by a corrupt police officer. Exactly the same reasons why Hannah's clothes were not presented to court - because there was female DNA on them.

Before you call it pure speculation, here is another stance:

As no-one knows who the real perps are, IMO no one has offered any real motive for why a) Mon should want to brutally kill two of his tourist income streams, and cool.png why Nomsod (or any other thug) would resort to such extreme violence and carry out a body staging for being rejected. And if that was the case why wouldn't he have raped her first, to show control?

While I can visualise and accept a male attack on David to get him out of the way, the same doesn't apply to Hannah as it adds up as more likely a female attack - and especially when hoe man's G/F is seen prancing around wielding a hoe. She is a prime suspect, as is Hoe man. So I'm sticking with my supposition, it was a jealous Thai woman who attacked and killed Hannah.

A few more mentions of the hair: Within the first couple of days of the prosecutions' presentations, a lead investigative cop said the hair was lost. Several hours later, chief of chiefs Somyot said emphatically, "Nothing has been lost." Which is it? I assume it's been conveniently 'lost' because it could incriminate someone RTP are compelled to shield from scrutiny. Also, a cop said earlier that the hair had a root. But cops have lied so thoroughly for the past 13 months, that it's safe to assume anything they say is a lie. In that case, a blond wig could be the source.

I'll say again, I don't think a Thai woman was a chief perp. I've clashed with hot-headed Thai women and seen them in action. They'll yell and scream (and be heard a mile away), but they won't take a deadly weapon and pulverize someone's head. The dastardly deed was done by one or more men. If Mon was involved, he wasn't thinking of tourist revenue - until maybe right after the crime if/when he went in extreme cover-up mode. I personally don't think Mon was directly involved in harming the victims. However, I can picture Nomsod being actively involved. Nomsod, like nearly any other boy that age, is capable of flying in to a rage - particularly if alcohol/drug fueled and if offended and/or his sexual advances thwarted. He has a katoy brother similar age. NS's the 'masculine' of the two, so he could be further asserting his masculanity (and take-charge passion) in front of his uncle and buddies. There's also a sicko-comical aspect to acting out rage on such a grand scale - similar to the movie 'A clockwork Orange.'

Not long to wait now next Saturday & Sunday .

Follow

oL_zQ1Hh_bigger.jpgAndy Hall@Atomicalandy

Finally 10/11 Oct Koh Tao murder case accused Zaw Lin/Wai Phyo have the chance to tell the world their story. Don't miss it @ samui court

If either of the Burmese boys has witness testimony re; who they suspect/saw/heard did the crime, will they be allowed to voice that? I have a feeling they're being coached to say they were just drinking beer and playing guitar on the beach, then went home. that's probably true, but that's like saying, if a person goes to a Lady Gaga concert: "I got in my car. drove to a theater. Then drove home."

Edited by boomerangutang

stephenterry, on 06 Oct 2015 - 06:49, said:stephenterry, on 06 Oct 2015 - 06:49, said:stephenterry, on 06 Oct 2015 - 06:49, said:
thailandchilli, on 06 Oct 2015 - 04:52, said:thailandchilli, on 06 Oct 2015 - 04:52, said:thailandchilli, on 06 Oct 2015 - 04:52, said:
stephenterry, on 05 Oct 2015 - 13:45, said:stephenterry, on 05 Oct 2015 - 13:45, said:stephenterry, on 05 Oct 2015 - 13:45, said:

What doesn't make sense is that if Hannah's blood was on the hoe blade, then the perp's DNA MUST have been on the handle alongside Hannah's. I am wondering if there were TWO female DNA on the handle, one of which could match Hannah's, and the conclusion reached was that it was ALL hers.

There has been several inconsistencies in this murder that I had doubts about. Most, if not all of these, could be answered if a Thai woman killed Hannah.

1. The alleged altercation at the AC bar. A jealous G/F? that was brushed aside, but not forgotten. Males would laugh and joke and not take it seriously.
  2. A woman seen fleeing from the scene? Maybe one of Hannah's 'new' friends accompanying her back to her hotel who was told to run for her life when Hannah was attacked.
  3. Inconsistencies in autopsy reports: rape or no rape? Bite marks or no bite marks? Strange that the Thai report would indicate bite marks. Why?
  4. A blonde hair clutched in Hannah's hand (colour was assumed, but it could have been dyed). Females fight and hold hair.
  5. A reluctance for the RTP to provide Hannah's clothing. Admittedly, it could show the perps DNA - but what if it was female? And the RTP feared that Pornthip would find that out. That would blow the case right out of the water.
  6. The attack. Such ferocity is more than rejection, IMO. Thai females can kill if another threatens their 'face'. Was it jealously that brought on such an attack?
  7. The staging of the body. That is not a male thing. It's a female showing Hannah as being a slut.
  8. The recent reports of hoe man's (now wife) wielding a hoe. Any significance? A message to other females not to mess with her?

Mon's involvement. He and Nomsod could be implicit in covering up for Hoe man's G/F, especially if either or both were involved in killing David. IMO his death was as a result of him 'being in the way' but Hannah's death was pure hate.

Just to add to the above. Females can also be known for some extremely horrific love triangle revenge attacks using acid to completely disfigure the victim, its happened numerous times in Thailand.

As many posters have already mentioned, the hair/s are the key to the real killer/s. Natural justice at its finest. Hannah's struggle was obviously the most horrific encounter she had faced in her life, before her gruesome death she was able to make a grab at attackers head and in this act pulled out his/her hair. For Gods sake find who this hair belongs to, find the real killers!

Instead we get the RTP lying to the court on oath about their involvement with the hair:

The hair, which still had the root attached when it was found on Ms Witheridge’s body by the Royal Thai Police pathologist during her autopsy, was sent for testing. The strand test revealed it had not come from either 23 year-old Ms Witheridge, or Jersey tourist David Miller, 24, who was murdered alongside her.
In court today, one of the main police investigators, Lieutenant Colonel Somsak Nurod, said he had spoken to the police pathologist on the 2nd and 3rd of October, at the same time as the defendants were arrested and two weeks after the autopsies, but otherwise he had no further contact with him.
However, the defence lawyers representing the two Myanmar workers produced a statement from the pathologist, stating that Lt Col Nurod had made two separate trips to meet with him in Bangkok in late October, and again on the November 18 after both defendants had retracted their confessions.
The pathologist’s statement said that the meetings had included discussion on the hair found in Ms Witheridge’s hand. http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/senior_police_officers_give_contradictory_evidence_at_hannah_witheridge_murder_trial_1_4215995
The hair in Hannah's hand did contain roots so we can discount wigs:
Thai Police Lieutenant Colonel Somsak Nurod said that a hair with roots that was found in Ms Witheridge’s hand had not been pursued as a lead in the case. http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/national-news/16286-koh-tao-defendant-tells-court-of-torture.html
We also reports of other blonde hairs:
Its been reported that the pathologist put the hair found in Hannah's hand aside. Oh really so where is it now and why did you not send it to Dr Pornthip? There can only be one reasonable answer to that question and that being that they are hiding this evidence on purpose. Justice for the victims? No chance. Respect for the victims shown by this ZERO.

I agree. Somsak Nurod should be arrested for perverting the course of justice. I would not be surprised if the DNA on it was from a female, which could explain this subterfuge by a corrupt police officer. Exactly the same reasons why Hannah's clothes were not presented to court - because there was female DNA on them.

Before you call it pure speculation, here is another stance:

As no-one knows who the real perps are, IMO no one has offered any real motive for why a) Mon should want to brutally kill two of his tourist income streams, and cool.png why Nomsod (or any other thug) would resort to such extreme violence and carry out a body staging for being rejected. And if that was the case why wouldn't he have raped her first, to show control?

While I can visualise and accept a male attack on David to get him out of the way, the same doesn't apply to Hannah as it adds up as more likely a female attack - and especially when hoe man's G/F is seen prancing around wielding a hoe. She is a prime suspect, as is Hoe man. So I'm sticking with my supposition, it was a jealous Thai woman who attacked and killed Hannah.

There is another local Thai woman who dyes her hair blond.

https://www.facebook.com/s.siincere?fref=pb&hc_location=friends_tab&pnref=friends.all

She was on KT at the time of the murders and is in Nomsod's list of friends on facebook. I remember that poster Greenchair had her in the frame at one time.

post-222707-0-72034500-1444132789_thumb.

Edited by IslandLover

Anyone recall the police chief at the time saying, normally in these cases, we'd just go pick someone up and charge them. However the world is watching so we can't do that? Then they reverted to type and picked up 2 Burmese. No Thai could do this, but 1 can rape and throw the victim from a moving train.

Yes, they may have presumed the hair was Hannah's, just like they presumed it wasn't worth checking the CCTV at the pier for anyone leaving by boat.

In the real professional investigative world "presume' isn't enough, even more so in the case of a double murder.

Edited by joebrown

sambum, on 06 Oct 2015 - 11:56, said:sambum, on 06 Oct 2015 - 11:56, said:
joebrown, on 06 Oct 2015 - 11:52, said:joebrown, on 06 Oct 2015 - 11:52, said:
sambum, on 06 Oct 2015 - 11:47, said:sambum, on 06 Oct 2015 - 11:47, said:

It's been stated in the press, or in court (I forget which) that the blond hair was not from the victim (Hannah). So if they knew it was not from the victim, they must have done some tests on it. It was said before the trial started that they were unable to extract DNA from the hair sample, which is odd, since we are now told that the root was attached.

Edited by IslandLover

The Thai public are not really so gullible…… Folks often do know plenty, and in private some do have an opinion about many things. However, they do also know that for one reason or another, speaking up is either pointless, or inadvisable.

I have learnt to understand that way of thinking to. So that makes perfect sense to me.

sambum, on 06 Oct 2015 - 11:56, said:sambum, on 06 Oct 2015 - 11:56, said:

It's been stated in the press, or in court (I forget which) that the blond hair was not from the victim (Hannah). So if they knew it was not from the victim, they must have done some tests on it. It was said before the trial started that they were unable to extract DNA from the hair sample, which is odd, since we are now told that the root was attached.

Yes it was stated in court that after tests it was established it did not belong to Hannah

The hair, which still had the root attached when it was found on Ms Witheridge’s body by the Royal Thai Police pathologist during her autopsy, was sent for testing.
The strand test revealed it had not come from either 23 year-old Ms Witheridge, or Jersey tourist David Miller, 24, who was murdered alongside her.