Pheu Thai pair could face criminal charges: Prayut

Lite Beer

Pheu Thai pair could face criminal charges: Prayut
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- PEOPLE summoned by the National Council for Peace and Order for further "attitude adjustment" could face criminal charges under normal laws for creating a political disturbance, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has said.

The warning came as Prayut's No-2, Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan, said former energy minister Pichai Naripthapan and former Pheu Thai MP Karun Hosakul - both currently detained - were not being tortured but being well cared for.

Prayut, the National Council for Peace and Order chief, said Pichai had been summoned for the seventh time and there were limits to forgiveness.

He said he may not forgive him this time - and the same applied to Karun.

Asked if there were more people who might face the same situation, Prayut said it was common knowledge that there were other people still sowing division in society.

"Those involved in causing damage [to the country] in the past should not say anything. They should support the government in tackling various problems," he said.

"We're still have a hitch in the democratic process. I am working for you today, so why should you reprimand me? How could you despise me?

"I've been [in power] for nearly two years now and today we should look at how people are doing and see what their needs are. I look at everything and care for everyone.

"Today I plead: Do not oppose or make a commotion with me too much. I am doing everything for you."

Prayut defended the NCPO's use of military officers to |detain people at undisclosed locations without charge, saying police would handle them after seven days in military detention if they were charged.

The possible charges against Pichai and Karun were solid, Prayut added.

"I would like to ask for fairness from the concerned officers [over handling the Pichai and Karun cases] and think about what contributions [they] have made [to society]," he said

Prawit said the duo would be released sooner rather than later provided they can understand what is expected of them behaviour-wise, adding that the NCPO was not becoming more strict.

He asked for people to stop criticising the government and the NCPO as the country was in a transitional period and the current administration was not elected.

Asked if there it is likely that more people would be summoned in the days ahead, Prawit said anyone who baselessly spoke ill of the authorities and spread false information would be "invited" to talk with the military.

Prawit added that those summoned for attitude adjustment were being lodged in a home-like environment and were not being tortured.

"Do not worry. I insist. We have done a lot [of summoning] in the past. So why should you worry now?" Prawit said. "I have done it over the past year. I ask that the time now be the time of the NCPO."

He added that the administration was trying to make things as democratic as possible.

In a related development, former Pheu Thai MP Worachai Hema said the latest wave of summoning and detention was aimed at stopping a tide of criticism and to shore-up international confidence in the aftermath of the junta-sponsored draft charter's rejection by the National Reform Council.

Worachai said there was a need for the administration to get feedback and criticism should be permitted.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Pheu-Thai-pair-could-face-criminal-charges-Prayut-30268644.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-12

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" He may not forgive him this time ", now doesn't that say so much ? You must have approved opinions ?

I was thinking how many leaders micro-manage everything and initially thought none but a couple did come to mind but if I say more a certain mod will be right in there.

The former energy minister Pichai simply said that the government needs to follow it's own "road map" and have elections as promised on the yet again revised date announced or the Thai economy could suffer.

The real reason why he is yet again being "invited" for an "attitude adjustment" is because this time he's calling the current government out on their own promises and yet again postponing the election and they don't like it,

As a former Aussie democrat MP once said "KEEP THE BASTARDS HOUNEST" Something some people have a lot of trouble with it seems and those that press for it need to have their "attitude adjusted".

I think this has gone a bit far, but so has the speeches from some of these former politicians in the past. Threatening civil war or political retaliation is probably not an appropriate thing to do:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Threat-to-court-lands-Korkaew-back-in-jail-30195384.html

In July, Korkaew told the media and red shirts that if the Constitution Court ruled against the charter-amendment bid, there could be civil war. He told red shirts to be prepared to fight to the end.

He said he told people to prepare for unprecedented clashes and told red shirts to stock up on food and water and to bid goodbye to their family members in order to fight a possible coup, adding that they should fight "eye to eye".

We could come up with page after page of these threats:

http://pattayatoday.net/news/post-election-landscape/

After some leaders of Pheu Thai made the threat they would settle scores with state officials and justice authorities such as Department of Special Investigation director-general Tharit Pengdit, whom red shirt leaders within Pheu Thai con sider their arch enemy, this means reconciliation is unlikely to be the name of the game for a Pheu Thai government. More conflicts and possibly confrontation can be expected.

I'm not a yellow shirt, not a red shirt. Just try to see both sides of the story....freedom of speech should be a basic right of all. Inciting violence for political gain should in not.

The problem of the Prime Minister is to not be able to accept critics and deal with it by looking into his own doings and say yes we will take it into account to the one who is critizising. Instead he is giving these critics much more weight than what they really deserve. Sounds sometimes a little childish to me. My daughter used to react like this when being critizised. Overall he is doing a good job and he does not need to react like that especially since he has the power to overlook that kind of critics.

The problem of the Prime Minister is to not be able to accept critics and deal with it by looking into his own doings and say yes we will take it into account to the one who is critizising. Instead he is giving these critics much more weight than what they really deserve. Sounds sometimes a little childish to me. My daughter used to react like this when being critizised. Overall he is doing a good job and he does not need to react like that especially since he has the power to overlook that kind of critics.

If I were him I would spend less time worrying about what his detractors are saying and more time on the important things, like education, health, and the economy.

The best way to get back at those that are criticizing him is to do a good job and stop giving them excuses to bag him. And stop acting like a spoilt brat. thumbsup.gif

"He asked for people to stop criticising the government and the NCPO as the country was in a transitional period and the current administration was not elected."

There are so many statements in this article one might take issue with but this one stood out for me (together with what's quoted by LannaGuy in post # 7). Sometimes I wonder if these guys are from a parallel universe....coffee1.gif

I think this has gone a bit far, but so has the speeches from some of these former politicians in the past. Threatening civil war or political retaliation is probably not an appropriate thing to do:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Threat-to-court-lands-Korkaew-back-in-jail-30195384.html

In July, Korkaew told the media and red shirts that if the Constitution Court ruled against the charter-amendment bid, there could be civil war. He told red shirts to be prepared to fight to the end.

He said he told people to prepare for unprecedented clashes and told red shirts to stock up on food and water and to bid goodbye to their family members in order to fight a possible coup, adding that they should fight "eye to eye".

After some leaders of Pheu Thai made the threat they would settle scores with state officials and justice authorities such as Department of Special Investigation director-general Tharit Pengdit, whom red shirt leaders within Pheu Thai con sider their arch enemy, this means reconciliation is unlikely to be the name of the game for a Pheu Thai government. More conflicts and possibly confrontation can be expected.

I'm not a yellow shirt, not a red shirt. Just try to see both sides of the story....freedom of speech should be a basic right of all. Inciting violence for political gain should in not.

You're absolutely right. Inciting violence is a criminal offense and should be dealt with by the courts, just like any other crimes. But firstly (and correct me if I'm wrong) the latest statements from these guys have not been calls to arms. Secondly, the use of indefinite "attitude adjustment" sessions is something that should cause anyone raised in a democratic society to pause. In an environment where three fingered salutes and reading certain books are regarded as a threat you know something is very, very "off".

"He asked for people to stop criticising the government and the NCPO as the country was in a transitional period and the current administration was not elected."

There are so many statements in this article one might take issue with but this one stood out for me (together with what's quoted by LannaGuy in post # 7). Sometimes I wonder if these guys are from a parallel universe....coffee1.gif

And you every right to wonder ! I doubt very much if you are from the same universe as them, or us for that matter. coffee1.gif

And you every right to wonder ! I doubt very much if you are from the same universe as them, or us for that matter. coffee1.gif

You're absolutely right. The junta, you and the rest of the junta lovers really do live in an alternate reality.

Edited by MZurf

If I were him I would spend less time worrying about what his detractors are saying and more time on the important things, like education, health, and the economy.

The best way to get back at those that are criticizing him is to do a good job and stop giving them excuses to bag him. And stop acting like a spoilt brat. thumbsup.gif

Doing a good job.... The Thai airline industry is in turmiol for the first time ever and will be banned from flying to many countries soon if they dont pass next inspection. Farmers incomes have decreased since the coup.... his rule has seen the biggest bomb in Thailand. He spend his time worrying about alcohol sales 300 metres from a school instead of placing greater emphasis on education. The stupid alcohol bans also affect tourists as well. Then there is the health system in need of fixing....poor and aged help and the minimum wage. Then there is all the rice in the warehouses that could be distributed to the poor so the Govt doesn't have to pay rent to store it.

So you think he's doing a good job. he might be a great solder but a poor prime minister.

Oh just read he's banned traditional fishing nets in Songla and other areas so now over 10,000 fishermen are without an income.

Doing a good job.... The Thai airline industry is in turmiol for the first time ever and will be banned from flying to many countries soon if they dont pass next inspection. Farmers incomes have decreased since the coup.... his rule has seen the biggest bomb in Thailand. He spend his time worrying about alcohol sales 300 metres from a school instead of placing greater emphasis on education. The stupid alcohol bans also affect tourists as well. Then there is the health system in need of fixing....poor and aged help and the minimum wage. Then there is all the rice in the warehouses that could be distributed to the poor so the Govt doesn't have to pay rent to store it.

So you think he's doing a good job. he might be a great solder but a poor prime minister.

Oh just read he's banned traditional fishing nets in Songla and other areas so now over 10,000 fishermen are without an income.

Another one ! Do you understand English grammar ? Read my post again, slowly, and if you still cannot understand what I wrote have someone explain it to you.

Capice ? facepalm.gif

Lol. You mean because all of those battles where he has valiantly defended his country?

You're absolutely right. Inciting violence is a criminal offense and should be dealt with by the courts, just like any other crimes. But firstly (and correct me if I'm wrong) the latest statements from these guys have not been calls to arms. Secondly, the use of indefinite "attitude adjustment" sessions is something that should cause anyone raised in a democratic society to pause. In an environment where three fingered salutes and reading certain books are regarded as a threat you know something is very, very "off".

It would be interesting to know exactly what was said. Might be in the Thai media somewhere. As we all know, there's lots going on behind the scenes that don't make it to the press. Crazy times!

How could you despise me? Oh maybe because you stole the country from elected leaders. Just a hunch...

Yingluck disolved parliament and called for elections in December, 2013. When the coup happened, she was only part of a caretaker government. Lots of legal mumbo jumbo, but I don't believe she was an elected official. Only in a caretaker position. Even that was being challenged.

I wonder how long it will be before the first ThaiVisa poster

is taken away for "attitude adjustment",as there are quite a

few who criticize the Government and PM ?

regards Worgeordie

It would be very bad PR to start hauling in farang for 'attitude adjustment'.

Witness all the bad PR Thailand got when they tried to expell Dr. Ellis. Thailand cannot stand bad PR. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

" He may not forgive him this time ", now doesn't that say so much ? You must have approved opinions ?

I was thinking how many leaders micro-manage everything and initially thought none but a couple did come to mind but if I say more a certain mod will be right in there.

Thailand's answer to Idi Amin

Doing a good job.... The Thai airline industry is in turmoil for the first time ever and will be banned from flying to many countries soon if they don't pass next inspection. Farmers incomes have decreased since the coup.... his rule has seen the biggest bomb in Thailand. He spend his time worrying about alcohol sales 300 metres from a school instead of placing greater emphasis on education. The stupid alcohol bans also affect tourists as well. Then there is the health system in need of fixing....poor and aged help and the minimum wage. Then there is all the rice in the warehouses that could be distributed to the poor so the Govt doesn't have to pay rent to store it.

The Thai airlines have been in turmoil for quite a while as not only were some of them ignoring Thai law they were also ignoring international aviation rules.

Farmers incomes have decreased is true since this government doesn't pay 15,000 baht or perhaps 100% more than the market value for rice nor does it pay extra for storage and transportation costs that comes out of every-bodies taxes.

True it was the biggest bomb in Bangkok so far but no group has accepted responsibility for the bomb and it is in the hands of the Thai police to deal with.

If you have a problem in buying alcohol within 300 metres of a school you won't have to travel much further to find it. If you need alcohol that badly perhaps you may have a problem.

No government has improved education very much in the last 30 or more years yet you are blaming this government after 14 months. Why not for example blame Thaksin government as they were in power for 10 of the last 15 years? Do you realise that the Ministry of Education has the biggest budget of any ministry in Thailand about 23% of GDP? http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/events/2013/1/25-national-accounts/thai-nea.pdf

The health system is slowing due to more expense than income. How would you propose to fix that? More state money spent on it?

All the rice in the warehouses could be distributed to the poor. How would you do that, give it away? What will happen to all the mom and pop shops and supermarkets etc when millions of tonnes or rice is given away? How will that affect the bottom line of the costs of the rice scheme. Billions of bahts worth of rice given away.

Banning the fishing nets at Songkla. Do you means the illegal ones that are used to break the law?

Your thoughts are there but where will all the money come from to meet these ideas?

Edited by billd766

How could you despise me? Oh maybe because you stole the country from elected leaders. Just a hunch...

Yingluck disolved parliament and called for elections in December, 2013. When the coup happened, she was only part of a caretaker government. Lots of legal mumbo jumbo, but I don't believe she was an elected official. Only in a caretaker position. Even that was being challenged.

Well that certainly justifies the army seizing control of the state yet again and dragging opponents in for 'attitude adjustment'...

Why not arrest those Thaksin puppets, lock'em all up and let the rot in hell for the rest of their lives...

THAT IS WHAT I CALL A TRUE ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENTS.

The way that have robbed the nation with their vote buying and populist policy scams is just unforgivable......

The former energy minister Pichai simply said that the government needs to follow it's own "road map" and have elections as promised on the yet again revised date announced or the Thai economy could suffer.

The real reason why he is yet again being "invited" for an "attitude adjustment" is because this time he's calling the current government out on their own promises and yet again postponing the election and they don't like it,

As a former Aussie democrat MP once said "KEEP THE BASTARDS HOUNEST" Something some people have a lot of trouble with it seems and those that press for it need to have their "attitude adjusted".

That was Don Chipp after his new party won the balance of power in the senate. I watched as he uttered those words, and was deeply affected. I've tried to live by that rule ever since, although a quarter of a century in Thailand - seeing my taxes vanishing into a huge black hole of arrogance, corruption, greed and lunacy - has sorely tested the strength of my commitment. To sit here and watch while NO ONE is keeping the b*stards honest is the saddest thing I can imagine. Prayut is as bad as everyone else in that regard. The only way anything is going to change in Thailand is for the honest and decent grass roots people to take the initiative and impose their will on the entire system. Unfortunately, they are but a handful and without a real leader.

......................"because you stole the country from elected leaders"..............................

Another poster who publishes bs ! Get your facts right before posting. Repeating lies is not working because too many members on this forum know the truth and will shoot you down in flames.